PDA

View Full Version : Menu configs

Raccoon Bandit
02-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Out of curiosity we are wondering what menu configurations do you guys use?

SplineGod
02-23-2008, 02:30 PM
I use the standard menus but add custom tabs after those.

Cageman
02-23-2008, 02:57 PM
*DOH* I voted Studio Production Style, but I really should have voted Custom configs based off of Studio Production configs. Undo? ;)

jin choung
02-23-2008, 03:06 PM
lw style configs... which of the entries is that?

lw style configs and then heavily modified so it makes sense....

jin

walfridson
02-23-2008, 03:10 PM
studio + custom.. God send really. Love it!

jin choung
02-23-2008, 03:14 PM
thanks. vote entered.

jin

IMI
02-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Custom configs based off of Default configs
That is to say, the default configs plus several of my own new tabs, plus configs I've made and load for keyboard shortcut keys.

If this poll is for Newtek, I know I'd like to see the type of config options modo has - loading and saving entire custom config themes - I think alot of people would like to see that, for that matter.

And while I'm at it, it would be cool to be able to duplicate a viewport and drag it to my other monitor...

Nicolas Jordan
02-23-2008, 09:02 PM
I pretty much use the default menus except I change many of the shortcuts to something that makes more sense for my workflow and I add an extra tab called UV Map for plg and super uv tools. I also add a Specialty tab for any rarely used free plugins I use.

RedBull
02-24-2008, 02:27 PM
I use custom configs, which have been adjusted and tweaked since version 5.0.
As are my shortcut keys, however the Production Studio Configs, should become the new standard and LW should ship with them set as default.

digefxgrp
02-24-2008, 03:20 PM
I use a customized menu layout including some proprietary coding to provide additional toolbars, along with two external keypads for expanded hotkey shortcuts.

Gregg "T.Rex"
02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm afraid i'm using so heavily customized menus and shortcuts in both Layout and Modeler, that no person in the world familiar with LightWave, can seat in my workstation and work with it. There are times i regret having done so since 6.5, but now it's too late for me. Can't live without them... :)

Weetos
02-25-2008, 01:42 AM
I use Studio Production style with custom mouse menus for the most used commands. Studio config has been a big improvement as far as I'm concerned - IMHO, this much makes much more sense than the previous default setups.

I use a customized menu layout including some proprietary coding to provide additional toolbars, along with two external keypads for expanded hotkey shortcuts.

[ OT Stuff ]I'm interested in such an external keypad, that I could use along with my wacom tablet - I've been looking for such devices but I can't find anything else than numeric keypads, which could work but I'd like to know if there's anything specificly designed for this (with programmable keys and such). Care to share your experience in that matter ? Thanks[/OT]

jin choung
02-25-2008, 02:19 AM
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/247/1/

jin

colkai
02-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Custom based off the Studio option.

akademus
02-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Well, I use Studio production style with modifications in layout and classical ones with some menus added in Modeler. What now? :)

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 10:09 AM
I use custom configs based off the default configs.

I'd like a deal like Final Cut Pro has, where you can select which mode you're in: "audio mixing", "color correction", "Two-Up", etc. Although in this case it'd be more "UV Unwrap", "Modeling", "Texturing", etc. etc.

parm
02-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Custom configs based off the default in Modeler, (mostly use mouse menus while modelling).

Custom based off the Studio option in Layout.

digefxgrp
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Weetos-
Iím using the X-keys 20-key programmable pad. It actually stores (40) key commands as it's dual-layered. They also have a larger 58-key version.

http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkdesk.php

geothefaust
02-25-2008, 07:34 PM
jin, do you own one? Is it really worth the money? I've been eyeballing that thing since I first heard about it years ago, but I simply can not justify the money for it.

digefxgrp, thanks! After seeing the price for the optimus keyboard, I started searching else where for something similar. But unfortunately I couldn't find anything that looked like it had enough keys. That appears to get the job done for me! How do you like it?

As for the poll, I generally use standard LW configs + custom tabs.

jin choung
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
heck no!

that thing is like $1200 isn't it?!

that's for when i have enough money to take care of all my needs, the needs of family, needs of incidental strangers and i'm basically crapping $50 bills and wiping with $100 bills....

jin

Steamthrower
02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
needs of incidental strangers and i'm basically crapping $50 bills and wiping with $100 bills....

That little sentence right there made my day. :D

geothefaust
02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Hehe. I hear you there. It seems so expensive for what it does. I just like the idea of a large amount of custom keys + the OLED screens is a huge bonus. :D

Skonk
02-26-2008, 07:22 AM
I use the default menu system and 7.0 style shortcuts with a few tweaks to both.

I really wish id made the move to the updated shortcuts though, I may try to spend a bit of time with them and see if i can get used to it :)

Weetos
02-26-2008, 11:13 AM
digefxgrp: Thanks :)

cresshead
02-27-2008, 11:39 AM
i use the studio setting as a base as there are some buttons that simply ARE NOT THERE in the default menu..like a button for the w stats key...you need studio to show you that button!....just a example of how poor the default one is....which is also messed up for logical searches for buttons in general.

...can we have an option for icons please in a future version?

...and i mean 'option'...not replace but add to the styles of u.i. as i'm really happy with 3dsmax and it;'s way of customizable u.i where i can have ALL text or icons or a mix and place them where ever i want.

i'm getting bored or re reading the same 'book' over and over [looking for text buttons] and would prefer to learn
icon associations as they are faster once learned.

akademus
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
One of the odd things in Modeler Studio production style menus is that Smooth Scale is actually called Replicate???

I remember we spent a good hour in studio trying to locate the Smooth shift and we already thought it was one of the options that bit the dust.

Andyjaggy
02-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Custom based of Studio production. I have a plugins tab that is completely full of 3rd party plugs. I also have a forgotten LW tools tab, for all those LW tools that are buried deep within the menu system or aren't assigned a spot at all.

Ztreem
02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
default with custom tabs added to that, I don't like the studio production too many submenus for my taste.

zapper1998
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I wish there was a short cut key, to cycle thru the TABS, or ......... is there ????

Michael

Andyjaggy
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
One of the odd things in Modeler Studio production style menus is that Smooth Scale is actually called Replicate???

I remember we spent a good hour in studio trying to locate the Smooth shift and we already thought it was one of the options that bit the dust.

Yeah that threw me off for a while.

Bytehawk
02-27-2008, 02:27 PM
problem with production style menu is that not all the modeler commands are in there. I have modified them a lot to fit my style of modeling.

At a certain point the default menu setup had the same problem too (not all of the new modeling tools were in the menus). Haven't checked lately if this is still the case though.

Andyjaggy
02-27-2008, 02:31 PM
In the last couple releases NT seems to add new tools but forgets to add them to a menu......... I've never understood that.

JeffrySG
02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I've heavily modified my mouse menus at this point. I'm getting close to changing a lot of the standard keyboard shortcuts but I just hate using different keys than everyone else. But many of the default keys are not very Left-Handed friendly. ;)

geothefaust
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
I've heavily modified my mouse menus at this point. I'm getting close to changing a lot of the standard keyboard shortcuts but I just hate using different keys than everyone else. But many of the default keys are not very Left-Handed friendly. ;)

Man do I ever agree with that. I sometimes have a pain with some programs that are simply not friendly to us. :(

Steamthrower
02-27-2008, 03:47 PM
You are pariahs. The world would be better without you. You cause most of the pain and suffering in the world.

:D

Bytehawk
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM

quoted for agreement. you couldn't be more right !

Roly
02-27-2008, 04:52 PM

I don't use Studio Production and it is still called Replicate.

druitre
02-28-2008, 02:50 AM
About new tools not showing up in menus: (esp. in modeler)

because I'm using radically modified studio production style menus (that I have to transfer over every time there's a new beta or point release) I'm always left wondering what new tools there are and what improvements I'm missing out on.

Would it be an option if NT included a .cfg tab 'new tools' when releasing an update that users can then load into their customized menus?

Eugeny
02-28-2008, 05:54 AM
7.0 style, highly modified (started modifying it in LW 7 days and keep changing with new tools and plugs on the new versions).

JeffrySG
02-28-2008, 07:21 AM
You are pariahs. The world would be better without you. You cause most of the pain and suffering in the world.:D
You crack me up man!!!
One day we will take over the WORLD!!!! mwaahahahahah!

Man do I ever agree with that. I sometimes have a pain with some programs that are simply not friendly to us. :(

quoted for agreement. you couldn't be more right !
Usually when I do make my own custom keyboard shortcuts they heavily use all of the numeric keypad keys and aslo all of the home/end keys as they are so close to my free right hand.

Verlon
02-28-2008, 07:30 AM
I chose custom based off studio production style.

Custom is MOSTLY...LW Cad and 3D Arsenal tabs and a couple of other plugins like FPrime. My first choice is hotkeys, but I really could stand to know them better than I do.

As far as the UI goes, I'd love better support for the 3Dconnexion devices (Space Pilot et al) and I am more in the camp of integrating the two applications because I feel there are things that seem to need to be done in Layout that require modeler's assistance (manipulating hair guides, for instance).

Maybe there is a better way.

Lamont
02-29-2008, 02:12 AM
I have a custom set up since most of what I do is just poly modeling, and I kinda of group my menu's like Maya.

jin choung
02-29-2008, 01:41 PM
About new tools not showing up in menus: (esp. in modeler)

because I'm using radically modified studio production style menus (that I have to transfer over every time there's a new beta or point release) I'm always left wondering what new tools there are and what improvements I'm missing out on.

Would it be an option if NT included a .cfg tab 'new tools' when releasing an update that users can then load into their customized menus?

yah, that's a problem with custom menus and keys. i just load up the defaults after an upgrade to check and see but it is a pain.

a .cfg with just new stuff in a tab called newstuff would be awesome.

you should submit it as a feature request.

jin

IMI
02-29-2008, 03:45 PM
a .cfg with just new stuff in a tab called newstuff would be awesome.

you should submit it as a feature request.

I think I actually did submit that request. I know I at least thought about it before.
Far as configs go, I'd like to be able to export and import entire program configs, ala modo. The closest we have to that now is menus and keyboard shortcuts and viewport setups. Ok, that's good, but not optimal.
It would at least be nice if the plugins had the exact same name in the menus as the lscripts and compiled versions do.

Steamthrower
02-29-2008, 04:01 PM
One thing I've done to my default menu configs is create a tab called "Common". This is, as the name rather suggests, a collection of the tools I use the most: bevel, SpBooleanSub, bandsaw, drag, etc.

Has anyone used Silo? If Lightwave's graphics were updated to be similar to that, but kept the same layout, that would be totally cool.

Andy Webb
03-01-2008, 06:53 AM
Well I'm with quite a few others on the list, custom based on the studio production style.

Andy Webb
03-01-2008, 07:02 AM
The only thing I would add is that modeller and layout should where possible stay consistent.

For instance, in modeller there is a button called Addi Plugins (Additional Plugins), and it lists plugins in alphabetical groups. In layout the button is just called Additional and it just list all the plugins in one long list, why the difference?

I know I could change the buttons to match but it would be good to see some constancy straight out of the box.

I hope to see the "Add Plugin" in modeller crash bug fixed in 9.5.

Gregg "T.Rex"
03-01-2008, 08:18 AM
I hope to see the "Add Plugin" in modeller crash bug fixed in 9.5.

Second that!!

geothefaust
03-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Second that!!

Same here. I just built myself a new machine, and it's a real pain in the buttox trying to keep everything happy when I install all the plugins.

Gregg "T.Rex"
03-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Has anyone fogged that bug yet?

rdrdrd23
03-07-2008, 03:44 AM
We've used a completely non-standard hybrid of John Gross' old setup (anyone remember that!?!?) thats evolved and made it nuts for anyone outside the company to use to start with..... then actually like as they've spent an hour with it.

Note: this is not to say its good, bad or indifferent. Its just the way it is and too painful to change to anythign else now! =)

pumeco
03-12-2008, 05:20 PM
I started my own configuration from scratch as soon as I discovered you could do that. It's the only way I can work with LightWave. Also, as well as custom menus, I've been renaming 'many' of the button descriptions to what I personally feel is more accurate or descriptive.

For example, the Box and Ball tools are named Cube and Sphere. The Box and Ball thing doesn't seem right in 3D descriptive terms. A box and a ball are objects, whereas "Sphere" and "Cube are more generally describing a shape. Then I've renamed other tools so that under a 'Transformations' bank of buttons I've got :

Move Hard
Move Soft
Move All
Rotate All

Etc...

Stuff I didn't know I had until I started to ignore the descriptions and rename them to what I see them as. I can work really fast now compared to using the config's that came with LightWave. My next step is to have a bash at those LScript button layout tools.

I'm eventually getting it how I want it, and it's great that LightWave is so customisable. My only problem with customising LightWave is that it won't let you select the colour of each button seperately. That would work wonders for colour-coded logic in button layout if they ever implement it.

Dennik
05-24-2008, 04:05 PM
I use customized shortcuts and additional menu buttons. It works really well for me cause it makes my workflow much faster, however whenever i'm sitting on someone's computer to show him how to do something, I feel like I lost part of my brain. Not only because the shortcuts I've been using don't work, but also cause I don't even remember the actual names for the tools I'm using. After so many years, they are integrated in my brain in a way that names don't matter anymore.

oobievision
05-25-2008, 01:29 AM
how do I edit the shift+ctrl menu?

JohnMarchant
05-25-2008, 04:41 AM
Hey why dont we share our configs. See which one works best for you depending on your plugins and scripts.

Maybe we could start a place for exchanging configs and tabs.

Regards, John

Stjepanovic
05-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I use customised standard in Modeller - Standard plus new Tabs for add-ons and new Groupings. In Layout, Studio Style with minor customization. :)

bobakabob
10-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Studio Production is awesome - everything is neatly layed out, like a banquet.

mrshappy
11-07-2008, 11:38 PM
lw style configs... which of the entries is that?

lw style configs and then heavily modified so it makes sense....

jin

LAV
11-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Custom configs based on default config. (I'm really fit with two separate modules, layout and modeler... but I think I'm an endangered specie...)

riki
12-06-2008, 09:04 AM
I always create my own from scratch

hansen
12-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi I am new to the discussion but just happened to find the tools, "Point center" and "point find", and found them named completely bas-akwards. Point center, "finds" the center of a polygon and gives you the coordinates to that point. Find center places a "point" at the center of a polygon. This sort of thing seems to happen a lot. Guess it is nice that we can rename everything. Also I wish they would make all of the tools in the Edit menu box list everything in alphabetical order instead of all of the tools in arbitrary and poorly conceived folders. You can make all of the plug ins show up in alphabetical order. Do the same with all of the edit menu tools.

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A Mejias
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

LOL I was flipping channels on TV the other night and stopped for a minute in time to hear that very line! LOL

Hopper
12-30-2008, 09:24 PM
One of the best movies ever.

Steamthrower
12-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Man, it's been like 3 months since I've been on these boards (that's what a major in graphic design does for you) but my username used to be inigo07...I love that movie that much...just thought I would drop that bit of info in there just for the heck of it. :)

Waves of light
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Standard config (both Modeler and Layout) with heavy modded mouse menus for all the things I use a lot of. This way, whenever I do a new tut, I can still follow the author when he uses shortcuts.

probiner
07-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah same here: default + plus lots of costumization. Both for menus, mouse buttons and Bottom Menu.

You can't avoid it. You get plugins, find hidden tools, put things at hand.

The mouse button menu is soo cool :D

Waves of light
07-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Also, and stop me if wrong.... if you moved to another studio you could easily setup all your mouse configs quicker and easier than the tab menus. Or is it easy to migrate/move the LWconfig file to another PC?

probiner
07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Modeler>Preferences>export preferences (make for both keys and menus)
It even saves Windows Positions :P

In Layout you have to set it up Menus and Keys no preference that i know of.

In Config Window there is a save and load.

In Menus Config Window you can even Export and Import entire Branches :)

Cheers

Waves of light
07-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Probiner, thanks for the info. that's very informative, hope other users can make use of that.

lucyisssi
08-02-2010, 11:37 PM
In the last couple releases NT seems to add new tools but forgets to add them to a menu......... I've never understood that.

MSherak
08-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I use totally custom configs since 5.0.. add to them what is new in the updated versions..

ahairgrow
07-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm definitely a big fan of custom mouse menus. I use them so much that I've actually forgotten where most of their default locations are. I also like being able to quickly load my custom menus and shortcuts if I'm sitting at a new machine. I actually keep them in a drop box account that's linked between my home, laptop, and work computer. So as things get updated I can easily load them.