PDA

View Full Version : lw on linux... screenshot!

jin choung
02-23-2008, 02:39 AM
http://www.winehq.org/images/shots/full/wine_12.png

wow! this is front page at winehq! it is both cool and lame.

jin

RedBull
02-23-2008, 04:19 AM
http://www.winehq.org/images/shots/full/wine_12.png

wow! this is front page at winehq! it is both cool and lame.

jin

It's well known the dongle is perhaps the only thing that prevents Wine from working with even current version of LW...

Speedmonk42
02-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Technically speaking, to which I can't, what is 'wrong' with WINE?

By wrong I mean what challenges do they face?

It seems that almost everything almost works.

doimus
02-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Am I the only one who's seeing LW version 5.5 on there?:question:

But, how things are looking right now, Newtek being on a dev rampage and all that jazz, so maybe even native linux version could be just around the corner...

jin choung
02-23-2008, 02:59 PM
they have a hard enough time keeping up with mac. i wouldn't hold my breath.

also, yeah, it's 5.5... that's why i said that the image is both cool and really really lame.

jin

ana027
02-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Here was my linux test of lightwave running under virtual box. The actual version of lw don't run with wine. For the moment lw is a windows programs and most plugins run in windows and some plugins run on mac too.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56975&page=43

doimus
02-24-2008, 02:03 AM
i wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah, I didn't even consider holding my breath for IES lights and drive-cached radiosity, and look what they've done to us! :boogiedow

As wise men once said: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

jin choung
02-24-2008, 04:45 AM
so by that you're saying that you are expecting a linux version some time soon?

ok.....

ummmm....

good luck with that.....

jin

RedBull
02-24-2008, 05:47 AM
Removing the dongle might be a desire for future versions.....

The problems is not LW for Linux, it's the fact that LW is plugin based, and getting years of plugins for Mac is hard enough, trying to add a third Linux platform is hard to justify.

However Wine support would have to be at least a thought for NT. And Jarno has mentioned that NT are aware of the desire from the LW community for Linux.

So perhaps it not just a pipe dream for the current time...... The dongle is the real thorn in the side, NT should at least be looking to get driver support from Sentinal/Rainbow drivers.

doimus
02-25-2008, 05:14 AM
so by that you're saying that you are expecting a linux version some time soon?

I wouldn't dare to exactly define how soon is soon, but generally - yes, why not?

doimus
02-25-2008, 05:31 AM
Oh, DAMN the 5 minute edit rule! :twak:

Just imagine I edited the above post and inserted a lot of extremely smart and positive comments regarding LW on Linux, and now I'm bothered to write it all again... eh.

Sarford
02-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Removing the dongle might be a desire for future versions.....

Please NO! Go wash your mouth with soap!
The dongle is a great concept. I move between several different computers and dongles let me do that. I realy hate it that zBrush doesn't have a dongle, now I only can install it on two computers and if I want to switch to another I have to deactivate the licence and reactivate it on another computer, what a hassle, and quite impossible if you don't have an internet connection at hand.

doimus
02-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Totally agree on the dongle issue.
These days, you can find fast computers anywhere and if you got your dongle and your LW-on-a-USB-stick you can have a personal LW environment anywhere in a matter of minutes!

(Be careful to unplug the dongle from that pc when you leave, though.)

Phil
02-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Please NO! Go wash your mouth with soap!
The dongle is a great concept. I move between several different computers and dongles let me do that. I realy hate it that zBrush doesn't have a dongle, now I only can install it on two computers and if I want to switch to another I have to deactivate the licence and reactivate it on another computer, what a hassle, and quite impossible if you don't have an internet connection at hand.

Except if your dongle dies and you have plugins locked to it. Plugins which are no longer supported because the vendor folded its tent and went away. That really, really hurts.

The dongle is also problematic because it is complex - it can get corrupted relatively easily (compared to a USB ethernet dongle combined with FlexLM).

The dongle system is also not truly portable. Try using LW on a Windows machine without the dongle drivers, and where you are not admin. You'll have to live with discovery mode because LW cannot see the dongle without the drivers. You need admin rights to be able to install the drivers, or actually even run the LW installer.

That's truly, hideously awful. In a corporate environment, this means that the user has to request local admin rights for every machine on which they might want to run LW. They can then install the dongle drivers and run LW properly. Sadly, it also makes a mockery of centralised IT support and is fraught with problems when a machine falls over (who is to blame? who get to pay for the rebuild? IT won't be held accountable).

If there was a network licensing system in place, this wouldn't be a problem. If the dongle was replaced by one that didn't need drivers, this also would be problem free. Both have the possibility of making LW run under Wine without limitation.

iojabba
02-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Totally agree on the dongle issue.
These days, you can find fast computers anywhere and if you got your dongle and your LW-on-a-USB-stick you can have a personal LW environment anywhere in a matter of minutes!

(Be careful to unplug the dongle from that pc when you leave, though.)

I have wondered why they have not done this. It would be great to have the dongle combined with an install of LW, all your plugs, and enough room for your content and extra room for renders all on a thumb drive that doubles as a hardware key. 8GB drives are less than $100 now.

evolross
02-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I would love a Screamernet Linux solution. Just have uber-stripped down rendering boxes, no need for Windows licenses. However, implementing LWSN is probably just as tough with all the plugin support, etc.

Phil
02-25-2008, 11:21 AM
That would be relatively pointless. You can easily shove a lightweight X.org-based installation on a node, install Wine, and away you go - full plugin compatibility (although Ozone might break due to activation issues). I posted a tutorial somewhere here a while ago showing how to go about it. Most of my nodes are running linux.

jin choung
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't dare to exactly define how soon is soon, but generally - yes, why not?

i dunno. it kinda seems to be like you're blithely anticipating the release of lw on something like os2 or beos or solaris or something - no plans have been announced, there is no indication whatsoever that there are any plans to do so.

seems like you're confusing wishful thinking with imminent probability....

jin

Sarford
02-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Except if your dongle dies and you have plugins locked to it. Plugins which are no longer supported because the vendor folded its tent and went away. That really, really hurts.

True, thats bad, but I had zBrush installed on my PC when my harddisk crashed. I lost one of my installs. And zBrush doesn't have a dongle.
Take FF for example, its node locked and not tied to your dongle. When FF would collapse and your harddisk crashes, you are done for.

The dongle system is also not truly portable. Try using LW on a Windows machine without the dongle drivers, and where you are not admin. You'll have to live with discovery mode because LW cannot see the dongle without the drivers. You need admin rights to be able to install the drivers, or actually even run the LW installer.

That's truly, hideously awful. In a corporate environment, this means that the user has to request local admin rights for every machine on which they might want to run LW. They can then install the dongle drivers and run LW properly. Sadly, it also makes a mockery of centralised IT support and is fraught with problems when a machine falls over (who is to blame? who get to pay for the rebuild? IT won't be held accountable).

In this situation you'd have the same problem when LightWave didn't use a dongle, couse you'd have to install LightWave first, for which you need the admin rights. If LightWave was installed already, you could use your dongle, so no hassle.

If there was a network licensing system in place, this wouldn't be a problem. If the dongle was replaced by one that didn't need drivers, this also would be problem free. Both have the possibility of making LW run under Wine without limitation.

I hope you don't mean internet licencing system couse that is like opening a can of woms. No internet connections means no installs, faulty database entries on their side means no installs, What if the developer crumbles, What if they discontinue the product etc, How long are they gonna keep the licencing system for people who don't upgrade, etc.

But I agree, a dongle without the needs for a driver would be better, or, like Doimus said, your LightWave installed on your Dongle.

jin choung
02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
True, thats bad, but I had zBrush installed on my PC when my harddisk crashed. I lost one of my installs. And zBrush doesn't have a dongle.

did you call pixologic? i would imagine they are pretty forgiving over things like that.

i have a screenwriting program that has the same kind of system and sometimes i just wipe my computer and forget to uninstall to get the credit back but i've NEVER had an issue with just getting the credit back.

jin

doimus
02-26-2008, 02:48 AM
i dunno. it kinda seems to be like you're blithely anticipating the release of lw on something like os2 or beos or solaris or something - no plans have been announced, there is no indication whatsoever that there are any plans to do so.

seems like you're confusing wishful thinking with imminent probability....

jin

Well, there was LW8 linux screamernet node available for download back in LW8 days. And there was a full and functioning LW8 Linux version shown to developers (it was mentioned somewhere in that huge LW for Linux thread, IIRC).
As we all know, a lot has changed since LW8, but linux version is at least technologically possible.

LW is already multiplatform. It's not bound with .NET, or MFC, or any other closed proprietary windows framework like 3ds Max is for example. Now that would be hard to port to Linux, but Autodesk would do it as soon as they see it as profitable (so, probably never). Just like there was a rumoured OSX version of Revit that was never released basically because it couldn't be paired with equal OSX version of Autocad.

Let's get back to LW. Currently there is very little reason to have linux version, as long as software changes at current rate.
It is difficult enough to maintain two versions of everchanging software.
As soon as LW gets to a stage where it is relatively feature-complete, and there are available man-hours to devote to linux development, I see it not imminent, but certainly probable...

That of course depends on Newtek's interpretation of feature-completeness, their stance on the competition and their interpretation of Linux as viable platform for LW, but as they have had LW on linux before... well...

Sarford
02-26-2008, 05:19 AM
did you call pixologic? i would imagine they are pretty forgiving over things like that.

Yeah, I did call them. They told me zBrush actualy has four installs instead of only two (as in the manual), specificaly for these kind of situations.
So I could install zBrush again without any trouble. But my PC is quite old, over five years now, and the other harddisk could also crash. The point is, when this happens a few times in a row, chances are they (zBrush) are gonna stop believing you at which point you ARE gonna lose installs. With a dongle based system, you're not dependent on the goodwill of the suplier. I just feels safer for me.

Phil
02-26-2008, 07:48 AM
In this situation you'd have the same problem when LightWave didn't use a dongle, couse you'd have to install LightWave first, for which you need the admin rights. If LightWave was installed already, you could use your dongle, so no hassle.

Not true. You can carry an LW install on a USB flash drive. Without the dongle drivers, though, you cannot do anything except run it in discovery (i.e. crap) mode. Demoing LW in this mode is really, really difficult because of the overlay harsh limits on model size and the watermarking..

At least the watermarking is not as severe as e-on software's demos. That is so invasive as to make any evaluation of the render next to impossible.

evolross
02-26-2008, 08:11 AM
That would be relatively pointless. You can easily shove a lightweight X.org-based installation on a node, install Wine, and away you go - full plugin compatibility (although Ozone might break due to activation issues). I posted a tutorial somewhere here a while ago showing how to go about it. Most of my nodes are running linux.
Thanks Phil. :) Good to know. I'll have to search around for this.

Phil
02-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks Phil. :) Good to know. I'll have to search around for this.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66836