PDA

View Full Version : File Format Problem

Duotoneblue
02-23-2008, 12:41 AM
Hello I'm using Lightwave8 on a Macbook pro OS X and I recently tried to render out a tiff sequence. I can open them up in Photoshop on my mac but when I bring them over to my windows computer they cannot be opened at all. It doesn't reconize it as a file type. So I tried a variety of formats and all did the same when transfered to my windows machine. So then I decided to bring the whole scene over to my windows machine and render it out there. It renders fine there and produces an image that can be opened but it doesn't reconize the object file that was produced on my Mac.

So once again I return to my Mac to see why it is rendering out the format wrong. I noticed that if I opened the file up in photoshop and resaved it as the same file format the info on it said it was photoshop tiff. The resaved file also has a thumbnail relating to the image while the original does not. The original file also just said tiff in the get info.

I never expected this to be a problem. I would like to be able to not resave my whole scene since there are quite a few frames. I need to use the windows machine to use after effects to put all my images together and to work with them. I don't have after effects on my mac yet. Even if I did I wonder if it would accept this weird format.

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm completely confused by it. I thought tiffs were tiffs and jpegs were jpegs.:help:

Giacomo99
02-23-2008, 07:12 AM
This is just a random guess, but: are you saving the TIFF files with the correct three-letter file extension? I believe TIFF files are supposed to end in ".tif" Windows machines are not as forgiving about Macs on this sort of thing.

Duotoneblue
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
The file ends with .tif
The only difference I noticed was in the get info under general the kind of file said Tiff document while the resaved file said photoshop tiff.

I also saved it as a Jpeg and it wouldn't open up either on a windows. I just don't know if I have a setting wrong or something. I hope someone can help me I have a clients project due soon.

Thanks for the guess