PDA

View Full Version : Direction Of Lightwave

basco
02-22-2008, 01:00 PM
It seems to me that Lightwave is going in a direction of a plugin renderer for other animation applications. Animate, and model in a different app, export that data into Lightwave for final render. Which if true is fine I guess. I would just like more improvements in animation and dynamics. I would also like more improvements in particles and particle render technology's. I own a seat of dynamite which is a really cool plugin but not well supported as discussed on a separate thread on this forum. Don't get me wrong I love that Lightwave is getting all these rendering improvements but I just wish other parts of Lightwave were getting more attention and maybe they are but I'm impatient and I want it now.:)

Steamthrower
02-22-2008, 01:06 PM
It seems to me that Lightwave is going in a direction of a plugin renderer for other animation applications.

:stumped:

Happened to have seen a thread called "Shhhh....for your eyes only"?

I've always considered LW as the perfect generalists' software.

akademus
02-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Piece of advice. Whatever you do - don't ask for the road map for LW ;)

hrgiger
02-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Which if true is fine I guess. I would just like more improvements in animation and dynamics. I would also like more improvements in particles and particle render technology's. I own a seat of dynamite which is a really cool plugin but not well supported as discussed on a separate thread on this forum. Don't get me wrong I love that Lightwave is getting all these rendering improvements but I just wish other parts of Lightwave were getting more attention and maybe they are but I'm impatient and I want it now.:)

Well, I would just say that these new additions coming in LW 9.5 concerning animations are good first steps. I don't think we have seen the end of CA enhancements by a long shot. If the new Multi-threaded mesh deformation evlauation is as good as it sounds, that will take care of one major hurdle for me, and that's the slow interaction while animating characters.

As far as the other stuff, Jay did mention that volumetrics are slated for an overhaul but it's a really big job and they haven't been committed to be finished during the 9.x cycle. But we still may see some good stuff yet during the 9.x cycle. Maybe instancing, maybe additional modeling and UV tools....I'm sure we'll see a few good things yet before Lightwave 10.

jburford
02-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Now I am really confused. What are you talking about basco????

GregMalick
02-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Personally, I think it was a smart move to enhance LW rendering, lighting, camera and surfacing. Other apps are producing more and more photo-real shots and to be left in the dust in these areas would be very bad.

Unlimited render-nodes give NT an advantage that enhancements in the renderer only strengthen. I think we will continue to see improvements in this area.

Andyjaggy
02-22-2008, 03:36 PM
This has been the case for sometime now in my opinion, it seems alot of people work in other apps and then bring everything into Lightwave for rendering. This is one reason I am surprised NT hasn't implemented a good render management/passes system yet. Get that and killer displacement memory management and Lightwave would have everything anyone would need to use it for rendering.

zapper1998
02-22-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't know
I have 3DMAX, And AutoCad, I tried Maya, and the other Programs..
And it seems that LW is so much more EASY to navigate in than the other
Programs
When I use 3DMAX I hate the navigation, So I do what I have to do and
switch back to LW so fast it almost locks up the puter..

Andyjaggy
02-22-2008, 04:00 PM
yep there is something about the way lightwave works that keeps me coming back for more.

basco
02-22-2008, 07:19 PM
I agree that it is a good idea that NT has been upgrading the rendering, lighting, and surfacing capabilities. I've been using since version 4.0. Wow, that sounds a little bit like a drug reference. Maybe we should have 12 step programs for software addiction. Just joking. I've been a die-hard NT fan since version 4.0 and have had every number version between 4.0 and 9.3. I even got the company I work for to purchase two TriCaster Pro's. I know I probably haven't been using Lightwave as long as some of you but I just have a feeling it is falling way behind in some areas and needs to catch up. Rendering, was one of those areas and they are doing a great job updating it. Hopefully they'll do the upgrades in chunks. Version 9 to 10 rendering updates, version 10 to 11 animation, version 11 to 12 particles and dynamics. I also own XSI, modo, and messiah, but nothing seems to be able to pry me away from my beloved Lightwave. This is the first time I've really posted to this forum and am really enjoying interacting with all of you. I've gone on long enough, I'll shutup now.:)

colkai
02-23-2008, 03:13 AM
I know I probably haven't been using Lightwave as long as some of you but I just have a feeling it is falling way behind in some areas and needs to catch up.
Yes, it does and I've been very vocal about things I personally want and truth is, few if any of my needs have yet to be addressed.

This said, there is no denying that the 9.X cycle is probably the most substantial change to LW to date and is ongoing at a pace not seen in previous years.

Whilst I ain't getting what I want, I am impressed with what is coming out of the door and presume it addresses the needs of those who have been consulted as what LW really needs for the studios to take it on board. It gives me some confidence as to how other sections of the program will be handled as they receive their overhaul. Think someone of the dev team is a Chip Foose of LW code. :D ;)

Philbert
02-23-2008, 03:31 AM
I don't know
I have 3DMAX, And AutoCad, I tried Maya, and the other Programs..
And it seems that LW is so much more EASY to navigate in than the other
Programs
When I use 3DMAX I hate the navigation, So I do what I have to do and
switch back to LW so fast it almost locks up the puter..

I agree 100% :agree:
I've put some effort into learning Max and Maya in the event that I would need to use them for a job, and I honestly hate using either one. As you said navigation is difficult, icons are annoying, modeling tools are lacking in both apps, even rendering is confusing.

*Pete*
02-23-2008, 03:58 AM
I think the direction of LW is as it has always been..to be a good allrounder.
the most recent information of the 9.5 beta shows some advances in CA tools, some advances in lighting and rendering, some for modelling (uv tools?).

Cageman
02-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Personally, I think it was a smart move to enhance LW rendering, lighting, camera and surfacing. Other apps are producing more and more photo-real shots and to be left in the dust in these areas would be very bad.

Unlimited render-nodes give NT an advantage that enhancements in the renderer only strengthen. I think we will continue to see improvements in this area.

Exactly. Keeping the guys using LW for rendering happy in the first place is the way to go (I just wish they could fix some issues in Modeler; CC SubD and consolidation). Many of the studios that used to be LW-centric seem to use Modo for modeling, Maya or XSI for animation and LW for rendering. To be honest, there isn't any package out there that offers what LW offers when it comes to rendering/price. Even more so with LW9.5 (which is a free update).

These new improvements and features (LW9.5) will help these studios keep LW as their primary renderingtool. It seems NT had time to sneak some new animationfeatures into the mix as well; New Bone type - Joints, IK/FK Blending, Enhanced IK solver, Multi-threaded Mesh Deformation Evaluation.

How well these new animationtools work, is still to be proven. But the studios already using other tools for animation will, in a sense, not be let down if the new animationtools underperform; they already have a solution for that. They can happily enjoy LW for rendering until NT releases robust tools for animation and modeling.