PDA

View Full Version : Updated G4 cubes for sale - 1.25 ghz

Ade
07-15-2003, 08:18 AM
http://www.kemplar.com/apple_cube_ts.htm

Potentially how would these be for lightwave? worth the buy of still hindered by 100mhz bus?

eblu
07-15-2003, 09:22 AM
the largest bottleneck i see is the graphics card. same as the original.

price doesnt suck, but its not a good price for a render farm machine.

i might see myself getting one of these (sans the crt) for an extra dvd player, an itunes station, some sort of media device, but i wouldnt do 3d on it. I always liked the cube, but it never really offered a great price/Performance ratio. With the G5 out, and new graphics on the horizon... theres even less to like about the cube.

if apple wants to sell cubes again, all they have to do is make the graphics upgradeable, drop the price so that it always works out to be less than the desktops (without upping the price of the desktops), and put something cool on it like an ipod docking station, or 5.1 audio out, or even SVideo(why not hidef?) out.

Zarathustra
07-15-2003, 10:00 AM
I would only consider it for a renderfarm and even then it's pricey.
It's always dangerous to get involved in a dead design.

If you need a primary machine, try getting an older G4 and an upgrade card for a cheap solution. The drawback is graphics (AGP not 8X).

Johnny
07-15-2003, 11:18 AM
I think that a better deal could be had from Apple itself..they've been offering a machine lately that, if bought bare, comes in at about $1600 US., is a dual G4, and has benefit of faster bus and some other cool things. Sticking in your own RAM would elevate the cost, but I think you could still come in at less than $1999.

J

Zarathustra
07-16-2003, 12:44 PM
Last year I bought a G4 400, a dual 1ghz card and a single 1ghz card and RAM for about $2200 - I went from a Dual 500 to a Dual 1ghz and a single ghz machine for less then a new Mac.

Check Ebay for old G4s. Upgrade cards are even cheaper now. OWC makes their own, too.