PDA

View Full Version : Multiple reflection maps on one surface

larkis
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Is there a way to have one surface have multiple reflection maps controlled by masks ? I'm working on an animated product shot and the original box has different reflection properties in different parts of the artwork. The white areas sort of have a rainbow/holographic look at certain angles, the red parts have more metallic properties, the yellows have a slightly green tinge in the reflection.... I was thinking of having separate reflection maps for each of the parts of the artwork to simulate some of those colors. I also want to blur some of the reflections more than others and doing it to the actual map seems like the simplest way to achieve that.

Maxx
02-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Do you have a screenshot you can post? I'm a little confused - do you mean you want each part of the product package to reflect something different or have a different reflection value?

Differing reflection values can be handled with a simple map - you may be able to get away with using the luminance output from the image node to the reflection input on the surface node depending upon color/amount relationship and overall total reflection.

Sorry if I'm being thick, but I'm not following the basic premise of the question, I don't think.

larkis
02-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Do you have a screenshot you can post? I'm a little confused - do you mean you want each part of the product package to reflect something different or have a different reflection value?

Differing reflection values can be handled with a simple map - you may be able to get away with using the luminance output from the image node to the reflection input on the surface node depending upon color/amount relationship and overall total reflection.

Sorry if I'm being thick, but I'm not following the basic premise of the question, I don't think.

Yes, I want each part of the object to reflect a different environment map. But i want to be able to control it with a map. So part of the artwork would get environment map A and then that would blend into environment map B if a gradient image was used to control it. So i guess like two distinct surfaces blended together with a mask ?

Maxx
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes, I want each part of the object to reflect a different environment map. But i want to be able to control it with a map. So part of the artwork would get environment map A and then that would blend into environment map B if a gradient image was used to control it. So i guess like two distinct surfaces blended together with a mask ?
OK - I get it now. Hmmm.... :stumped: This is a basic stab in the dark as my system is rendering right now so I can't test it out, but could you set up several different Reflection Shader nodes, then pipe them in through a Gradient node with a grayscale image as the input to blend all your reflections? If you pipe an image node into the Color input of a Reflection shader, doesn't it work much like an environmental reflection map?

Like I said, I'm kinda stabbing in the dark here so hopefully someone more versed in the area will pop in to tell you what to do and correct me. But it may be worth a shot - I'll see if I can't give it a play once my render is finished up.

Maxx
02-22-2008, 02:12 PM
OK - after a very brief look inside Layout, I think I may really by talking out my *** on the idea posted above. I've got dig a bit further than I just did, but it doesn't seem to work the way I thought it would. poo....

toby
02-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Every polygon can have a different surface, which can have a different reflection map. Simply assign different surfaces to the parts that you want different reflection maps.

jin choung
02-24-2008, 12:50 AM
why not just make a single wrappable image that has the proper image data in the right areas?

jin