PDA

View Full Version : RTV Codec to work in AECS3

incubate
02-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Come on guys... guys come on. Modern editing is about integrating different progammes. You have an excellent codec in the RTV codec but this don't work in AEcs3. Time Newtek started to think seamless integration with other progammes and got things working. RTV codec to work in AEcs3... NOW!

ScorpioProd
02-22-2008, 02:10 AM
This is one of the exact reasons why RTV is only a LEGACY codec of Newtek's.

SpeedEDIT supports using any uncompressed AVI codecs.

There frankly isn't any advantage claimed by using RTV nowadays.

SBowie
02-22-2008, 06:17 AM
RTV was great for its day, but has its limitations. It's useless, for example, for HD.

This being so, if you want uncompressed and more universal acceptance, just use a standard uncompressed AVI codec to suit your need and you're good. ... no muss, no fuss.

Bobt
02-22-2008, 06:51 PM
RTV still has a place for 2 reasons Steve,
1) You are garuntee'd no conversion to RGB, its YUV.
2) Its the only existing YUV format that has Alpha that I know of.
RTX which I pushed for a while I left behind but how many YUVA 4:2:2
formats do you know of?
Bob

Jim_C
02-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Happy conclusion found --> here? (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80147)

SBowie
02-22-2008, 08:44 PM
2)how many YUVA 4:2:2 formats do you know of?I'm under the impression that both the UYVY and YUY2 uncompressed AVI formats can be 32bit, Bob.

SBowie
02-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Happy conclusion found --> here? (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80147)
I was pretty sure I remembered this post - took me a couple minutes to find it, but I rest my case on the good doctors remarks on RTV versus uncompressed AVI:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/VTNT/message/105789

Bobt
02-23-2008, 08:11 AM
UYVYA
You can find a FOURCC for this Steve?
UYVY yes but no A far as I know..
This has long been a problem for ever.
Bob

SBowie
02-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Aaah, you appear to be correct Bob - I can select alpha for the YUV formats, but it doesn't actually work when rendered. Had not noticed this.

I suppose if you really feel the need to stay with YUV between apps you could use a separate alpha file (shades of the 90's!), but that's about the only edge RTV has, RTV is limited to SD, and the original post above doesn't really specify an alpha as a requirement.

Personally, for CG stuff (which is where the alpha is important) I don't see much of an issue with just using an RGB32 AVI. (If gamut was that hyper-critical for a specific application, one likely wouldn't be working in 8bit to begin with.)

ScorpioProd
02-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CGI always start as RGB anyway? Plus there's always the option of a sequence of images for CGI.

As for codecs, don't forget that there are some very nice YUV compressed codecs that fully support an alpha channel.

Examples being Newtek's SpeedHQ and Thompson/Grass Valley's Canopus HQ, the latter codec even allowing different quality settings.

SBowie
02-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I personally feel rtv is awfully close to becoming a legacy item.

Tom Wood
02-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CGI always start as RGB anyway? Plus there's always the option of a sequence of images for CGI.

As for codecs, don't forget that there are some very nice YUV compressed codecs that fully support an alpha channel.

Examples being Newtek's SpeedHQ and Thompson/Grass Valley's Canopus HQ, the latter codec even allowing different quality settings.

I use uncompressed .TGA image sequences out of LightWave and then convert to uncompressed .RTVs in Mirage for use in VT-Edit. Then I render out a BGR32 AVI from there for use in the ON2 FlixPro encoder to FLV for the web. If I use any uncompressed codecs in the process before FlixPro, I see a distinct downgrade in the final image quality.

SBowie
02-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Maybe you meant "if I use any compressed codecs in the process before FlixPro ...", Tom?

Tom Wood
02-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Maybe you meant "if I use any compressed codecs in the process before FlixPro ...", Tom?

Yeah, that's what i meant. :D

SBowie
02-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I suppose if we stop there, in the interests of perfection someone will point out that "compressed" does not = "lossy" ... for example, your Targas are very likely compressed .... but lossless.

Tom Wood
02-24-2008, 09:04 AM
In any case, using a compressed codec anywhere in my process is a downer in terms of final image quality. Further, my scenes are built in a two-step process that requires an intermediate file with alpha that I can overlay onto a pre-rendered background. RTV works best for that and I'd hate to see it abandoned.

Also, when making FLVs for the web, I'm concerned that the shift to HD overlooks the fact that it's just not needed for small video files in the players that show up in newspaper websites. My 2-minute cartoons are 2GB coming out of VT4, but are about 10KB coming out of FlixPro. I'd like them to be -smaller-. Why would I want a bigger file going into FlixPro?