PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.5 for Torque game engine?

twkelsey
02-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Can I can finally buy Lightwave?!

It has been a longtime dream of mine to learn how to create 3D art. I have been evaluating the 3D packages on the market for the last year or so trying to decide which one to make mine. After trying LW I was hooked, but there was one show stopping problem...I am also an aspiring Indie game developer, and there was no reliable way for me to create game content in LW and export it to the Torque Game Engine (one of the most popular Indie game engines on the market). So I have been waiting, watching the boards, hoping that sometime soon there would be a way, and today when I saw the press release it made my day.

With the new FBX/Collada export capabilities in 9.5, programmers should be able to use LW for Torque. Granted, it will be a slightly indirect route, but it should become possible...

Houdini recently announced that their next version of Houdini Apprentice HD (only $99, released in March 2008) will have the ability to export to Torque DTS format. According to Houdini's web site, the exporter was written by the Torque developers at Garage Games, so one would hope it would be somewhat reliable. Houdini already has the ability to import FBX, so I am hoping that the following pipeline will work:

LW 9.5 -> FBX -> Houdini Apprentice HD -> Torque DTS.

Does this pipeline sound reasonable? Just making a quick sanity check before I hit the "Buy LW" button.

Granted, I am making a big assumption that all exporters/importers are bug free and will play nice...a big assumption for certain :)

As a side note, the FBX/Collada exporters should also allow for the creation of game content for Microsoft's XNA Game Studio (FBX), the Unity Game Engine (FBX), the C4 Game Engine (Collada) plus many others. Great news for Indie game developers that want to use LW!

RedBull
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
LW 9.5 -> FBX -> Houdini Apprentice HD -> Torque DTS.

Does this pipeline sound reasonable? Just making a quick sanity check before I hit the "Buy LW" button.

Granted, I am making a big assumption that all exporters/importers are bug free and will play nice...a big assumption for certain :)

Yes, FBX support is working well in Houdini the initial 9.1 release had a few minor issues, but SESI have outstanding support and Oleg contacted me and made some improvements just yestersay, and out pops another version.... :)

Technically FBX is still in "Early Access" for Houdini users, but i can say that from Houdini's POV, it definately feasible to go Houdini to Torque with FBX.
Collada may make even more sense in your case!

I hope Open beta users will test import/export of FBX through extensive tests to make sure it comes into programs like Modo, Maya, Max and Houdini, Blender....

JCG
02-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Did you already try Gnometech's LightWave DTS Exporter?
http://www.gnometech.com/lwdtsmain.shtml

MentalFish
02-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Working with Torque is a nightmare, but to get models from LightWave into its native DTS format is a breeze with Gnometech's LightWave DTS Exporter as JCG mentioned.

RollerJesus
02-22-2008, 08:31 AM
I use the DTS exporter all the time, static objects, animated objects, characters, vehicles.

There are a few hang-ups, but mostly it's plug and chug.

Check out these links or PM me if you would like to know more about my LW -> DTS pipeline.

http://www.garagegames.com/mg/forums/result.thread.php?qt=70848
http://www.garagegames.com/mg/forums/result.thread.php?qt=70850

Best,
Patrick

twkelsey
02-22-2008, 09:11 AM
RedBull, thanks for the insight into Houdini's import capabilities. You mentioned that FBX import is still "Early Access". Do you know when it will be available to the general user base? Also, you mentioned Collada...does Houdini currently have the ability to import Collada? I did not see this feature mentioned in their product advertisement.

To everyone else who mentioned the Gnometech exporter, thanks for the information. Yes, about a year ago I tried to use the Gnometech exporter and I was having some problems that I could not resolve. I read some posts that lead me to believe that the Gnometech exporter was no longer being maintained/updated, but it sounds like that's not the case. I will definately check it out again.

In any event, I will be a new Lightwave owner by the end of the day and I look forward to being a part of the community.

RollerJesus
02-22-2008, 09:20 AM
The exporter is no longer being updated by ther developer, but the GG community has several members that are actively using and helping with troublehsooting problems.

Best of luck to you!