PDA

View Full Version : animating textures help

SEMIRO
07-15-2003, 05:41 AM
i want to be able to make a character look like he has been shot or slashed...i know how to create textures but i dont know how to put them in a sequence (animate them)

please help me...

riki
07-15-2003, 09:45 AM
What software do you have?? I haven't done it mysef before but I think it's just a matter of firing up QT Pro and importing an image sequence.

Tom Wood
07-15-2003, 11:41 AM
riki -

Would that also work for animating texture maps for a mouth, for example. Like these:

http://us.imdb.com/EGallery?source=ss&group=0298388&photo=Ss/0298388/4452.jpg&path=gallery&path_key=0298388

Thanks,

TW

toby
07-15-2003, 03:18 PM
After Effects is very handy for making animated textures

riki
07-15-2003, 06:19 PM
I think it would be easier to do with Polygons and Endomorphs, it would be quicker and more flexible. Using an animated image sequence will mean going back and forth between several APPs until you get it right.

Beamtracer
07-15-2003, 08:13 PM
What we really need is keyframeable procedural textures. You could keyframe each parameter of the texture and have them change over time.

This was a previous feature request:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4692

Using image sequences is a good way to apply "video" to an object. If you are not using Screamernet you could also use a Quicktime movie as your texture source if you load it up in the Image Editor. If you are network rendering, then image sequences are better.

Tom Wood
07-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by riki
I think it would be easier to do with Polygons and Endomorphs, it would be quicker and more flexible. Using an animated image sequence will mean going back and forth between several APPs until you get it right.

I think I've arrived at the same conclusion. If you look closely at the VeggieTales' mouths in the link above, you'll see a highlight along the edge of the mouth that suggests a curve inward. The black of the mouth opening would be changed by stretching and squashing polygons that could be relatively large and few in number. But that highlight along the edge of the mouth, that would require a lot of relatively small polygons that are colored in a slightly lighter shade of the surrounding skin color?

TW