PDA

View Full Version : TurboSquid sometimes....

hrgiger
02-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Look at this ridiculous file. $1,000 for just a body and the worst part is, the modeling is horrible. http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/270775

Who's dumber? The person who posted this for $1,000 or the person who buys it. I'm guessing the latter.

Hopper
02-21-2008, 08:18 PM
WoW... I'm no expert, but I've seen enough work from folks on this forum to know that's quite ridiculous. It looks like the result of a poorly followed tutorial.

Titus
02-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Maybe he's very proud of his work. The revenge here is the vendor only gets 30% of that after royalties and tax, it's like dealing with the mafia.

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 08:25 PM
That's a pity is what it is.

Occasionally I'll upload a few models that I've done for fun in the hope that someone will actually find them useful...but I haven't sold any. One model's gotten around 500 downloads though. Don't know if that's good or bad...

hrgiger
02-21-2008, 08:32 PM
I guess maybe what I'm wondering is more of what reason someone could justify spending $1,000 for that.
"I have this project deadline looming and I need a poorly modeled body of a female with no head and I'll pay up to $1,000 for one."

SplineGod
02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Much easier and cheaper to download Makehuman :)

Titus
02-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I guess maybe what I'm wondering is more of what reason someone could justify spending $1,000 for that.

You risk nothing selling anything at that price. It's clear this guy knows nothing about the market but most people also don't have a clue, myself included. I think all my models are underpriced but I'm selling only because am curious on what people want, last month was my selling record with 6 models generating like 20 bucks.

Iain
02-22-2008, 05:08 AM
I noticed some models which are free to download from e-interiors.net are being offered for sale by individuals on turbosquid.

It's too open to abuse as it stands. Out of 1000 people, 999 will know what's going on but one poor sucker will be ripped off.

iconoclasty
02-22-2008, 07:10 AM
He's obviously very proud of the model, and judging from the previews he's especially proud of the ******.

safetyman
02-22-2008, 07:19 AM
I wonder how much more for the head!

hrgiger
02-22-2008, 12:57 PM
He's obviously very proud of the model, and judging from the previews he's especially proud of the ******.

******? Spleen?

iconoclasty
02-22-2008, 01:00 PM
hehe, didn't realize I got censored. Today's secret word is Vajayjay.

akademus
02-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Sad but true...

BigHache
02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Nice to see how breast augmentation further affects art or anything art-related. Bleh.

IMI
02-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Makehuman actually works in 64 bit Vista. I had thought it was a 16 bit app and wouldn't run on Vista.

But yeah, anything out of Makehuman looks better than that, and doesn't have the smoothing flaws either. You can load one of those Makehuman objects into Modeler, put it into sub-patch, and it actually will look halfway decent.

starbase1
02-26-2008, 06:01 AM
I stopped even looking at Turbosquid a long time ago, even if exactly what I was after showed up in a web search. It's overloaded to the gills with very low quality very high price models.

And frankly if I was operating in those price ranges I'd start by offering some of the highly talented people in these forums $1000 to make a model to order for me!

Stooch
02-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Lol.

35mm
02-26-2008, 07:31 AM
I was so impressed with that model. $1000 is a give away. And why do you say that anyone who buys it must be stupid? I Purchased it twice so that I can use it in 2 different projects! :hey:

Actually I think it was probably a typo error, and the actual prise was supposed to be $10, but he had a sticky "0" key.

Steamthrower
02-26-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm thinking about making about twenty MakeHuman models, a dozen Terragen landscapes, about a hundred Arbor generated foliage and uploading them to Turbosquid for $500 each. :hey:

bobakabob
02-26-2008, 03:42 PM
How much is the head? Or is it available in a bundle for $500 more? :D

JeffrySG
02-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Larry, you always know about very cool software that I've never heard of! :)

:thumbsup:

Red_Oddity
02-27-2008, 02:47 AM
Well, we have a saying for that price Holland : 'wat de gek er voor geeft'

(roughly translates as, 'what the mad man is willing to give for it')

Andyjaggy
02-28-2008, 08:42 AM
I've been thinking of pulling all my stuff off TS. After the 50% cut and then the 37% taxes it's really not worth doing anymore. I get a whole 13 dollars for every 100 dollar model I sell.

Steamthrower
02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
I'd much rather support a small model-database run by some community Lightwaver than Turbo Squid. If anyone knows of one, please post.

bobakabob
02-28-2008, 10:33 AM
I've been thinking of pulling all my stuff off TS. After the 50% cut and then the 37% taxes it's really not worth doing anymore. I get a whole 13 dollars for every 100 dollar model I sell.

Whoa that puts this thread in a whole new perspective. Only a mere 13% profit? And why are the taxes so high?

Andyjaggy
02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Those are the taxes you typically pay on self employed income. IE 1099 work. SS tax. State income tax. Federal income tax.

You pay twice the SS tax when you are self employed. Most people don't realize it but your employer actually pays half of your SS tax out of their own pocket, so when you are self employed you pay twice as much. which comes out to be about 15% of your income. All for a social program that will never benefit me by the time I am of retirement age. It is predicted that all the SS money will run out in 10-15 years. Basically my generation gets fuc%$# over on this one.

This is why you learn the system and deduct anything you think you can get away with in an attempt to minimize the amount of your income you are having to pay that 37% on.

DarkLight
02-28-2008, 11:19 AM
I'd much rather support a small model-database run by some community Lightwaver than Turbo Squid. If anyone knows of one, please post.

You could check the store out over at foundation3d.com. There's some information about selling items here:
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1345

theo
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Most people don't realize it but your employer actually pays half of your SS tax out of their own pocket, so when you are self employed you pay twice as much.

Actually, Andy, the employee does pay the SS tax. The employer just docks the pay grade, accordingly, to cover this cost. Same way with health insurance.

creativecontrol
02-28-2008, 02:12 PM

I second that.

IMI
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM

This is why you learn the system and deduct anything you think you can get away with in an attempt to minimize the amount of your income you are having to pay that 37% on.

How about a compromise?
I'd much rather support a government and an economy run by the LightWave Community...
:D

starbase1
02-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Surely you are only taxed on your cut, not the total included the shop's cut...

Actually about a year back I put a bit of work into making some models to sell on the Vue site. Utterly unresponsive people there made me eventually give up completely.

The other one I dithered over was Renderosity - they have a very uncritical audience there judging by the ratings they give seriously poor images! Lower prices are normal but it seems to be a large community.

SplineGod
02-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Larry, you always know about very cool software that I've never heard of! :)

:thumbsup:

I also have used the free version of sketchup (http://sketchup.google.com/download.html) along with this free plugin ( http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.6.zip ) to download lots of free objects from 3dwarehouse (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/) when I didnt have time to build the stuff myself. Like turbosquid, some objects are good and some bad but theyre all free.

starbase1
02-29-2008, 12:26 AM
I also have used the free version of sketchup (http://sketchup.google.com/download.html) along with this free plugin ( http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.6.zip ) to download lots of free objects from 3dwarehouse (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/) when I didnt have time to build the stuff myself. Like turbosquid, some objects are good and some bad but theyre all free.

I think you understate it! Most are appallingly bad, but a few are very good indeed. There's a superbly accurately detailed X15 rocket plane...

SplineGod
02-29-2008, 12:31 AM
The nice thing is that the database keeps on growing. Its amazing just how much stuff is on there. Sometimes objects have to be tweaked a bit more in LW but its still better in most cases then searching and paying for commerical items.
Ive found nice cities and bridges that were great for medium to far background objects that worked out nicely with some tweaks. :)

Sande
03-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Interesting read about Turbosquid's view on trademarks/copyrights:
WWII Bomber: "Trademark Infringement" (http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/21/wwii-bomber-trademar.html)

KevinL
03-23-2008, 04:26 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have an exquisitely detailed poly chain. 15 segments and compatible with LW 9.5, it's on Auction at Sotherby's next month. In person bids only, bidding starts at 1500.00....

:)

Steamthrower
03-23-2008, 06:00 PM
I'll be making an anonymous bid.

Pavlov
03-23-2008, 06:29 PM
lol, effectively TS has heavy quality issues.
It could be nice to have a LW hub to exchange models, maybe with a moderator which prevents anarchy. Maybe it could be something which could be born into this same forum.
One of top Newtek's strenghtpoints is community, a nearly free resource shop could give even more strenght to this. Imagine if we could put our models here for sale, and NT takes a small fee (i.e. 10-15%, surely not 50% like TS) to mantain this.

Paolo

Celshader
03-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Those are the taxes you typically pay on self employed income. IE 1099 work. SS tax. State income tax. Federal income tax.

You pay twice the SS tax when you are self employed. Most people don't realize it but your employer actually pays half of your SS tax out of their own pocket, so when you are self employed you pay twice as much. which comes out to be about 15% of your income. All for a social program that will never benefit me by the time I am of retirement age. It is predicted that all the SS money will run out in 10-15 years. Basically my generation gets fuc%$# over on this one.

If possible, consider funding a tax-deductible SEP-IRA (http://www.sepira.com/) to bulk up your retirement savings. I'm looking into this (https://personal.vanguard.com/us/accounttypes/retirement/ATSSEPIRAOverviewContent.jsp) right now for 1099 income I earned last year.

Andyjaggy
03-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Been looking into a Roth-IRA actually. I'm 26 now, I should have started one 5 years ago :D

Celshader
03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Been looking into a Roth-IRA actually. I'm 26 now, I should have started one 5 years ago :D

26? You're ahead of most! I didn't get serious about this stuff until I was 31. :o

A Roth IRA is top dog and absolutely should be funded first if you qualify. You have until April 14th to make a full Roth contribution for last year, so get thee to Vanguard (https://personal.vanguard.com/us/accounttypes/retirement/ATSRothIRAOverviewContent.jsp) now. :D

As an employer, though (self-employed), you can also make an employer's contribution to a SEP-IRA in addition (http://www.bwa.org/articles/retirement_plans_for_the_self-employed.htm) to the contributions you make to a Roth IRA or traditional IRA. For self-employed folks earning 1099 income, I think a SEP-IRA is worth considering as a supplement to a Roth IRA.

I already funded my Roth IRA for 2007. I'm just waiting for my CPA to call me and tell me the exact maximum I can put into a SEP-IRA for 2007. :)

Andyjaggy
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice. Only part of my income is 1099 work so not sure how that will work.

Celshader
03-26-2008, 09:59 AM
I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice. Only part of my income is 1099 work so not sure how that will work.

If I remember correctly, only the 1099 income that you earned as a self-employed person or independent contractor counts towards SEP contributions/deductions.

In 2007 I earned a mix of 1099 and regular W2 income, so I asked my CPA if the 1099 income qualified for a 2007 SEP-IRA contribution. It did, but he has to get back to me on the exact amount that I can contribute for 2007.

If you use a CPA for taxes, ask him or her about SEP-IRA contributions/benefits.