PDA

View Full Version : CG World Mag article on LightWave 9.5

Philbert
02-21-2008, 12:13 PM
NewTek Previews LightWave v9.5

NewTek’s 3D division is previewing the latest version of LightWave, its 3D animation system during GDC. “NewTek personnel work closely on a day-to-day basis with LightWave artists so that they know exactly what this audience is trying to accomplish,” says a representative. The LightWave renderer is said to be easy to set up and use, and unlimited render nodes are free. Among the features new to LightWave Version 9.5 are: A flexible hair and fur system able to be seen in in-camera reflections, refractions, with volumetric rendering capabilities and the ability to instance hair strands allowing for millions of hairs in a scene; a new lighting system with IES lighting, spherical lights, and improved area and linear lights; and more.
(2/20/2008)
LightWave Version 9.5 incorporates:

- Expanded inter-application operability with Collada, OBJ, and FBX I/O including Skin Cluster import/export, base pose import/export, and conversion

- A flexible hair and fur system able to be seen in in-camera reflections, refractions, with volumetric rendering capabilities and the ability to instance hair strands allowing for millions of hairs in a scene

- A new lighting system with IES lighting, spherical lights, and improved area and linear lights

- Enhanced animation capabilities, including FK/IK blending, joints, pole vectors, and multi-threaded mesh deformations

- Increased speed and flexibility added to the render engine, with GI improvements, more control, and network-render visible disk-based radiosity caching

- Modeler additions, including ABF UV unwrapping and relax functions, and better Symmetry tolerance

- Updated SDK support for new GI, IK, and animation capabilities

- Improved image handling, including EXIF Metadata support and LDR/HDR image control

- Further optimizations for surfacing, particularly for materials and other node-based shaders

Link to the original article:
http://www.cgw.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=35A9A910C4304292AC298D10671461BD

adamredwoods
02-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I didn't know that, otherwise I would've gone.

zapper1998
02-21-2008, 01:41 PM
I WANT IT NOW..........:D

OMG....:D

WHY MUST WE BE PUNISHED LIKE THIS.......:D :D

No just kidding

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I WANT LIGHTWAVE 9.5 NOW

cagey5
02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
and the ability to instance hair strands allowing for millions of hairs in a scene;

First mention I've seen of instancing. Perhaps the hair/fur solution is their flagship way of showing how advanced their built in instancing solution is. Or perhaps I'm inferring too much.

StereoMike
02-21-2008, 02:06 PM
In which way do they touch .obj? Any info?

Cageman
02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
I didn't know that, otherwise I would've gone.

What didn't you know?

OOZZEE
02-21-2008, 02:10 PM
obj... my guess is to work better with Zbrush.

Philbert
02-21-2008, 02:53 PM
obj... my guess is to work better with Zbrush.

Or MudBox, LW OBJ and MudBox was a huge PITA.

adamredwoods
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
What didn't you know?

That NT would be demoing 9.5 at GDC.

I WANT LIGHTWAVE 9.5 NOW

Wow, settle down. It'll be here soon enough. Until then, I suggest build some cool new models to test in 9.5.

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm fine waiting. I was just letting loose a week of cubicle-stuffiness.