PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh into Windoze Mode with Leopard.

Glendalough
02-21-2008, 04:31 AM
Don't really want to write about this and be negative, but am extremely pissed off with the new software update tyranny.

Unless I'm missing something It seems you can't uncheck the check for updates box in the 'Software Update' panel > System Preferences. If you attempt to do it, it will check it in again, after you close the System Preferences! This, including the "Download important updates automatically".

This doesn't and never did happen in Tiger or any other Mac OS.

BazC
02-21-2008, 04:40 AM
Stays unchecked here.

Glendalough
02-21-2008, 04:52 AM
Stays unchecked here.

Well actually I'm glad I wrote now! Some voodoo goin' on, Thanks for replying.

It's stayed unchecked now for the first time! I've definitely unchecked this at least 3 or 4 times in the past few weeks because it keeps coming on with nag messages when it wants to download. I've got this with an Adobe Acrobat program, every time it is opened it trys to check for updates, ignoring when the box is unchecked by putting the check in again. This has been going on for years and don't even like using the program as such a nuisance, so end up reading PDFs in Preview which doesn't always work.

Giacomo99
02-21-2008, 06:55 AM
I've got this with an Adobe Acrobat program, every time it is opened it trys to check for updates, ignoring when the box is unchecked by putting the check in again. This has been going on for years and don't even like using the program as such a nuisance, so end up reading PDFs in Preview which doesn't always work.

OT, but the PDF version of the Lightwave manuals update so slowly onscreen that I can barely use them. The present version of Acrobat simply can't handle thousand-page files with a lot of graphics.

I'm really curious how other Lightwave users are dealing with this problem. With the F1 help no longer working in 9.3, and the PDF unreadable, documentation for the program is functionally gone for me.

Glendalough
02-21-2008, 08:07 AM
OT, but the PDF version of the Lightwave manuals update so slowly onscreen that I can barely use them. The present version of Acrobat simply can't handle thousand-page files with a lot of graphics.

I'm really curious how other Lightwave users are dealing with this problem. With the F1 help no longer working in 9.3, and the PDF unreadable, documentation for the program is functionally gone for me.

Actually I've never used the F1 help or other through the Lightwave program. I use the free Adobe Acrobat version 5 which handles the manual and graphics no bother.

It's the newer versions of Abobe where Form hideously molests Function. The "Professional" version for editing I complain off, this takes forever to load as it goes on the internet and dials here and there and Who knows where...(and this is why I worry about the Mac OS, because this is the scenario that all these software companys want and not many are complaining)

RonGC
02-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Preview flies through the PDF manuals, it has always been faster than Adobe was on pdf files.

Its what i use as the default reader. I just use adobe to check what PDFs i create may look like on a Windows machine.

Ron

BazC
02-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Its what i use as the default reader. I just use adobe to check what PDFs i create may look like on a Windows machine.

Ron

Me too, I don't even have Acrobat installed anymore.

meshpig
02-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Yo!

Sorry but I'm having trouble following this. Are we talking about how the Flash Help doesn't work @ F1 with 9.2/9.3.1?

Yeah, avoid Acrobat.

m

Giacomo99
02-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Preview flies through the PDF manuals, it has always been faster than Adobe was on pdf files. Its what i use as the default reader.

Hey, thanks! Preview works great! You have made the manuals once again usable for me! Fantastic!