PDA

View Full Version : Rotate Pivot Tool Problem

Lightseeker23
02-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi, this is the first time I've encountered this problem. I've made a 3 sided pyramid. My idea was to have the pyramid open up from a pivot located at the middle base of each side of the pyramid. so I positioned 3 pivots at those locations but there's a problem because the direction that the pivot rotates in layout is incorrect. It rotates in the direction of the lines of the grid. Every time I go to rotate pivot to change it's rotation to the direction I want it to rotate so that it doesn't open side ways, when I click on rotate it jumps back to where it was before. I don't know what to do. I've already tried to change the Coordinate system to World and Local as well to see if it would make a difference. Needless to say that it didn't work. :help:

SplineGod
02-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Try parenting to a null and use that as a secondary pivot.

Lightseeker23
02-21-2008, 08:33 AM
I parented the layer to a null, then used the rotate pivot tool on the null, but the same result has happened. When I switch to rotate...the setting jumps back to the previously aligned position. Still stuck like a fly in the web of ignorance...

othornton
02-21-2008, 12:15 PM
This isn't a pretty solution, but this might work:
-Create a null and name it PivotRoot or something. Place and rotate it so that the axis rotates in the direction you want.
-Create another null and name it PivotHandle. Use a custom shape of some sort. Parent this to the PivotRoot with Parent In Place turned off and zero any rotation and translation values (there shouldn't be any, it should just jump to your Root).
-Turn Parent In Place on and parent the layer to the PivotHandle null.
-Turn off visibility off PivotRoot null so you don't accidentally select it and lock it in the Scene Editor.
-Rotate away like crazy using PivotHandle nulls

Hope that helps!

-Oliver

Lightseeker23
02-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks Oliver and SpineGod, for all your advice. Guess what... I got it to work! And the answer was so simple. I took SpineGod's advice and used the null as a secondary pivot but this time I didn't try to use the Rotate Pivot tool. Oliver what I did was take your advice and rotate the null into the position I wanted it to be then instead of creating another null, I simply parented that null to the Layer I wanted to rotate. It worked perfectly! OH JOY! Just a little common sense, It seems that once you import an object into Layout, LW automatically aligns the rotation according to the Coordinate system. The only way to change the direction of the rotation is to use a null. Thankx a bundle. The Fly is now free :)