PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Sasquatch

Paul_Boland
02-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Folks.

Well, I see Lightwave 9.5 is getting a new Hair/Fur system. Will be interested to see it when some screens and info appear.

Anyway, still using Lightwave 8.5, I've today bought Sasquatch full. Not having a credit card, I've had to send off an international money order for payment so I expect Worley will get it next week. Looking forward to getting the user manual so I can dive into the in's and out's of the full version, but was just wonder if anyone can recommend any tutorials I can look at to help me get to grips with using Sasquatch when I get it?

Thanks.

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Man...I would definitely have upgraded to the latest LW version for the same price or so...

Darth Mole
02-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I'd cancel that money order until you know what's in LW 9.5. Seriously.

Sasquatch is clever and all, but it's old, a pain in the *** to use well and potentially made redundant by the new, free features.

I'm sure Worley will understand. Cancel now!!

DiedonD
02-20-2008, 02:18 PM
I'd cancel that money order until you know what's in LW 9.5. Seriously.

Sasquatch is clever and all, but it's old, a pain in the *** to use well and potentially made redundant by the new, free features.

I'm sure Worley will understand. Cancel now!!

Id repeat that in my name. If it isnt too late already.

hrgiger
02-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't get Sasquatch until I see what 9.5 hair/fur is like. I mean, is it Sasquatch or is it a whole new fur/hair system? Sasquatch has several extremely annoying limitations (not necesssarily the fault of Worley) which you may find does not suit your needs. It will not render in Fprime because it's post process, it does not appear in reflections, etc....

StokeBish
02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you're in to use hair and fur. If you want to go ahead, Sasquatch comes with several example scenes, and the manual is particularly clearly written. There are also tutorials on the Worley site (e.g. http://www.worley.com/Tutorials/RowsbySas/index.html), but I expect you've already found those.

I use Sas for animal fur and it's capable of giving stunning results, although it is tricky to set up as there are lots of parameters to tune. However, most of the features it provides (such as smart combing and control of parameters by UV maps, weight maps and effectors) are essential IMHO for getting realistic results and I hope they are replicated in the new hair/fur system.

My major gripes with Sas are that it is sensitive to the lighting (more so than real fur I think), and that the fur doesn't appear in reflections, which necessitates a separate compositing pass. Let's hope these things are fixed in the new hair/fur system.