PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.5

Pages : [1] 2

Alliante
02-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Thank you Newtek!

Press Release (http://www.newtek.com/news/pressrelease.php?viewpr=36)

geothefaust
02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Indeed. I was just going to post this here. :)

Lovin' it.

Alliante
02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm quite anxious to see/use the new hair system, as I'm wondering how it'll do grass for landscapes :) (SasLite is nice and all, but feels too much like a Lite plugin :D )

Titus
02-20-2008, 09:34 AM
WOW! just simply WOW!

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 09:37 AM
IK/FK Blending!
Collada!
UV Unwrap!
IES Lights!
NEW HAIR AND FUR SYSTEM!

O Holy Rejoicing Burrito Eater! Me is happy!

mav3rick
02-20-2008, 09:39 AM
fiber factory 4 ?

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 09:40 AM
It's amazing is what it is.

WHY CAN'T I REGISTER FOR OPEN BETA YET?

geothefaust
02-20-2008, 09:42 AM
You aren't already? ;)

geothefaust
02-20-2008, 09:44 AM
fiber factory 4 ?

Maybe our friend Sensei has helped out Newtek.

JeffrySG
02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Very cool stuff!! Thanks NT!!! :thumbsup:

New Collada, FBX and OBJ I/O
UV Unwrap/UV Relax
Symmetry Tolerance
IES Lights
New Spherical Light
Faster Sampling System for GI
Interpolated Soft Reflections/Refractions
^Yay!

oh, and...
:lightwave & :I_Love_Ne

Mitja
02-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Something is still missing... instancing! :D

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Aw, heck to that...I mean, I've got Fur! Or at least will whenever I can get the Open Beta...

SaturnX
02-20-2008, 09:46 AM
hmmmm, can't wait.
But just alittle anxious about how useable the new stuff is, as in, how intergrated will it be with the rest of lw. The new hair/fur system for one.

And did edge weighting get updated/fixed?

I like the sound of this new bone type, joint. And at last, IK/Fk blending!??

Lewis
02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Mighty fine and Impressive LIST of ugrading for a FREE upgrade, Way to go NT. IES, IES, IES Rules :D :D.

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Jay, if you're reading this thread (you are!) then...thanks a lot. My renders shalt command higher prices now...

Mr Maze
02-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Looking forward to getting the open beta...

JeffrySG
02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Looking forward to getting the open beta...
Yeah, me too! I wonder what the hair system will be and if it will work on the UB version?

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Without Worley getting in the way, I'm guessing it will work...dunno though.

bobakabob
02-20-2008, 09:54 AM
A big surprise... pretty cool NT kept this under wraps :D

Good to see some focus on the animation tools and a hair / fur solution other than Sas Lite.

eyelandarts
02-20-2008, 09:57 AM
how about some teaser eyecandy? anntij?

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Surely William Vaughan's done something with it...

Phil
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
fiber factory 4 ?

It might explain the NDA and FF4's disappearance from the market place. No idea, though. We'll have to wait and see what has been cooking. If it's not, Jon will have to hurry his plans along :D

Kuzey
02-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Ooooh...super duper and some of this too :bowdown: :bowdown: :heart: :heart:

Kuzey

Phil
02-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Disk cache for GI.....no more flickery badness even over LWSN? That would be rather useful.

The light plugin class looks rather interesting. Hopefully the developers will remember us poor UB souls :D

I'm also curious to see how 'Multi-threaded Mesh Deformation Evaluation' eases the problems with dense meshes.

mav3rick
02-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Maybe our friend Sensei has helped out Newtek.

naaa he is occupied with other stuff.... this is ff4 i am pretty sure but modified and more integrated

COBRASoft
02-20-2008, 10:28 AM
IES lights, Fur and Hair, faster GI, ...

Well, god damn, give it to me, yesterday :dance:

This is too awesome to be true, thanks Newtek!

mav3rick
02-20-2008, 10:28 AM
double post

mav3rick
02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Phil
-Disk cache for GI.....no more flickery badness even over LWSN?
That would be rather useful.

exactly solution is saved on disk and used over network render so no diff in images.

-The light plugin class looks rather interesting. Hopefully the developers will remember us poor UB souls :D

go windows :)

-I'm also curious to see how 'Multi-threaded Mesh Deformation Evaluation' eases the problems with dense meshes.[/QUOTE]
me also curious

geothefaust
02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the infor Mav3rick.

I just noticed the 'Symmetry Tolerance' for modeler! Sweet. More like Zbrush now? Herm...

jburford
02-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Where's the Download? Let us at it. . . let us rip! :-)

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Early March beta...bummer. I guess I can wait that long. I'm just itching to learn this new hair. Plus see what exactly the "improved CA" is, besides the blending and bones. Perhaps some GUI will be a bit more intuitive in rigging...

OOZZEE
02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
naaa he is occupied with other stuff.... this is ff4 i am pretty sure but modified and more integrated

just speculating ? or you got the low down ?

nice surprise NT !!

Mark The Great
02-20-2008, 10:43 AM
*steps on soap-box*

YEAH!

*steps down*

Mitja
02-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Hair and fur working with FPrime? or it would be too much, even for 9.5 ??!

ben martin
02-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, I'm as happy as you all are, especially about the new announced IK/CA Enhancements... but... before singing victory I prefer to mess with it to reach my own conclusions.. so... yeahhh... great news but to early to cheer about anything!

Anyway, Jay (NT) congrats for the efforts on the CA/IK system.
Hope this time we all can rival with other packs workflow in the market!

To the efforts... cheers! :thumbsup:

OOZZEE
02-20-2008, 10:47 AM

possibly if its based on two point poly chain

Mitja
02-20-2008, 10:50 AM
possibly if its based on two point poly chain
Isn't/wasn't FF working something like that (poly chains) ?
BTW, the fact that the fiber factory guy was hired by NT is just a rumour, or something more?

Darth Mole
02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Fiber Factory is still available to buy as of today. So if FF is part of a free upgrade, that's pretty poor customer service! I'd feel well ripped off.

calilifestyle
02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
All i know i'm very glad i waited and didn't wast my money on pmG.

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Fiber Factory is still available to buy as of today. So if FF is part of a free upgrade, that's pretty poor customer service! I'd feel well ripped off.

Not really...I don't get your point.

JeffrySG
02-20-2008, 10:56 AM
^ I think he means that he'd feel ripped off if he bought FF today only to find out it was a part of the free 9.5 upgrade in a few weeks....

MooseDog
02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
UV Unwrap/UV Relax

:thumbsup:

more speculation (and giddy at that!): plg type un-wrapping? maybe that's where his on-line presence went.

aar, an incredibly strong list of improvements that's going to be fun as all shite to test.

speaking of which, the more folks 'round here register to access the beta forums and participate, the better :lwicon: becomes. it really is unique access into the heart of newtek and the creation of some very complicated software (imho), so go forth :D .

ranhell
02-20-2008, 11:01 AM
give me give me, i want 9.5. it will be nice to see what proton will show on some of the new stuff.......:hey:

akademus
02-20-2008, 11:02 AM
from all previous versions experience this should be really stable production version.

So, when do we get it, there's nothing in the download area??? and nothing specific in the press release.

edit: oh early march. luckily it's february so that's a few days less :)

Exception
02-20-2008, 11:03 AM
DISK CACHE!
Improved GI!
IES Lights!
LIGHT API!!!

Perhaps we can also render disk cache over the network... would make sense!

That last one... the old team could never do this, we finally have a Light plugin class!
And all that in a free upgrade... fantastic!

jasonwestmas
02-20-2008, 11:04 AM

Most likely that won't happen unless the hair is not a post process/ pixel shader and has actual 3D volume.

Cageman
02-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm quite stunned. I was expecting these things:

1. New lights (not IES though) :)
2. VIPER becoming what FPrime is
3. Instancing
4. Node-based motion modifiers

I was kind of right about the lights, but then I went totaly wrong. *lol* NEW HAIR AND FUR SYTEM!? Never saw that comming! Honestly! Just hope it's going to be nice to use and have good options for styling/dynamics etc. Good to see that FBX gets updated and Collada is supported. NICE! Will be interresting to see how well and fast the new interpolated refraction/reflection blur perform. Ohh..and what about those new bone-types; joints? 100% compatible with Maya? ;) IK/FK blender...

Alot of good looking stuff (at least on paper) to test once it hits OB! :)

Thanks alot NewTek... looks like a major update, and it's only from .3 to .5.

:I_Love_Ne

dmack
02-20-2008, 11:19 AM
If the new Hair and Fur thing really is a completely new and cool....Hair and Fur thing....then I am seriously impressed that it's in a dot release! I really do feel that Newtek has renewed energy! Now if they can get on with volumetrics (PRMBlur etc) and speed up the SSS I will be a happy man.

Hoping it's a thoroughly integrated release!

Multi threaded deformations - yahoo!

Good on you Newtek!

kfinla
02-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I can't wait to see the hair and fur system.. ive been waiting for Worley to do a major update to Sasquatch for nearly 3 years now!

I also wasnt expecting the CA stuff.. i thought that had been pushed back to 10.. woot

g4dual
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Something is still missing... instancing! :D

:agree:

:D

Thank's NewTek!!! :thumbsup:

Mitja
02-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Most likely that won't happen unless the hair is not a post process/ pixel shader and has actual 3D volume.
I think that almost everyone in this thread knows what can render FPrime...the matter is precisely what you said: not a post process/pixel shader! I hope it's not one of these two! (when it comes to post process and pixel filters I just skip them:hey: !) Even if I think, like you, that most likely it wont happen... But if the GI & co are improved, it doesn't matter that much, does it?

cagey5
02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Quote from the press release....

The LightWave v9.5 Open Beta program is scheduled to begin early March;

Just for those that missed it and are camped out in the download area.. :D

juanjgon
02-20-2008, 11:46 AM
Good news ... all new features in render engine are really welcome ... now i only need instancing to be happy :)

Wickster
02-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Quote from the press release....

The LightWave v9.5 Open Beta program is scheduled to begin early March;

Just for those that missed it and are camped out in the download area.. :D
I think people just never bothered to read the whole thing and jumped straight to the feature list. Or other people just fainted even before getting to that part. Or people got too excited and snapped one of their blood vessels headed for the brain and contracted selective amnesia and forgot that it would be available early march. :D

jasond
02-20-2008, 11:53 AM

cagey5
02-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I think the key word here is 'scheduled', if it was ready for beta release now we'd already have it, hopefully they won't hit any major hurdles and will hit their release target. If not we at least have a good idea of what we are waiting for.

Cageman
02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
I think the key word here is 'scheduled', if it was ready for beta release now we'd already have it, hopefully they won't hit any major hurdles and will hit their release target. If not we at least have a good idea of what we are waiting for.

My guess is that the real betateam has had this for a while. Lets just hope they don't find too many bugs so that early March becomes early April. ;)

This release is really getting my fingers itching... BADLY... I could stand bugs all over the place just to be able to have it on my comp right now! :)

Oh well... at least I have an idea of what to expect from this release. Its going to be fun, ALOT of fun! :)

Bookman
02-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm just happy that the cat is finally out of the bag on this one. :)

early march, ugg 2 more weeks! :D

Phil
02-20-2008, 12:07 PM

Really? Binaryartsinc.com shows page closed for maintenance, and has for a while. I'm not aware of any other place to buy it.

In any case, if FF4 was included (and there's no evidence that it is - just speculation - it could be a new Sasquatch variant, or TrueHair, or a home-grown system), I'd expect NewTek would do something for existing users. Something like what they promised for Relativity 2 owners (in that case a final release of Relativity 2 for LW 8.x, although they do not seem to have delivered that).

Time will tell.

I'm just hoping for a usable and well performing UB LW :)

Sarford
02-20-2008, 12:16 PM
WOW! I am realy impressed with the new feature list!
An incredible update! A hair and fur system in a point update!!!

This is definitly proof to me that NewTek is serious about LightWave, and proving it. Way to go NewTek!!

serge
02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Does anyone want to buy my Sasquatch Full version?

3D|Dave
02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
http://www.binaryartsinc.com/FiberFactoryIV.htm

Seems that FF4 is still available through this link.

cresshead
02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
the list of new feature is quite impressive for ''point update'' if this were autodesk they'd be calling 9.31 lightwave 2009 and lightwave 9.5 lightwave 2010!...

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 12:22 PM

:ohmy:

No way buddy!

serge
02-20-2008, 12:23 PM
:ohmy:

No way buddy!
:mad:

tyrot
02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
DEAR JAY and Lightwave 3D TEAM

you ROCK! YOU .ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKKKK! WHat a list!!! Man..

this is the most lovely news ever for months... !!!!

EXCEPTION!! Can you write a long commentary on Lighting system. What should we expect? Man what a list...

Ok this week plan: Read the forums, read the Forums...and read the forums...!

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEST!

Cageman
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM

*LOL*

Tell you what... take that back untill you've actually used the new stuff. To be cynical; what if the new Hair and Fur system is crap? Don't sell stuff you may need... ;)

COBRASoft
02-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Well, I have to say thank Newtek twice!

I asked for what they were doing NOW (in another thread on this forum) and right now, I got it. They even gave us a possible beta date (more or less in 2 weeks)...

What would that environment lighting be? Sunsky :)?

mav3rick
02-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Well, I'm as happy as you all are, especially about the new announced IK/CA Enhancements... but... before singing victory I prefer to mess with it to reach my own conclusions.. so... yeahhh... great news but to early to cheer about anything!

Anyway, Jay (NT) congrats for the efforts on the CA/IK system.
Hope this time we all can rival with other packs workflow in the market!

To the efforts... cheers! :thumbsup:

i dont feel this end here... CA is very delicate stuff that need more than this few things

Jirapong
02-20-2008, 12:56 PM
"San Antonio, TX -- February 20, 2008 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading video and 3D animation products, today announced LightWaveŽ v9.5, a major update to its award-winning 3D application, LightWave 3DŽ. LightWaveŽ v9.5 new capabilities include a complete hair and fur solution, new lighting system and many improvements to animation, global illumination, rendering and workflow. The update will be available to registered owners of the LightWave v9 series at no charge. The LightWave v9.5 Open Beta program is scheduled to begin early March; LightWave v9 owners who wish to participate may register now by visiting: http://register.newtek.com/."

9.3 Beta and where is 9.3? and now 9.5 beta. Maybe we need to pay the other $400 for version 10 Beta.

I am not quite sure what Newtek marketing is thinking and where they are going to. If they think it will help to make LWers excited and still have hope for better LW, possibly not for me.
Indeed it has turned me off since 9.2 and 9.3 beta version.
Get the beta and register you new license again and again so Newtek can show off the investors that there are still LWers and there are more numbers coming to LW from the new register static.

JP

mav3rick
02-20-2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.binaryartsinc.com/FiberFactoryIV.htm

Seems that FF4 is still available through this link.

but if you browse like you should

http://www.binaryartsinc.com/

than u notice
Page closed for maintenance.

which clearly makes u think no more support from FFIV or better FFIV guy sold himself to newtek and now is part of team

kfinla
02-20-2008, 01:07 PM
so im confused.. 9.5 open beta will start on early march.. usually when there do a press release it is for a finished point release.. not to tell us what they are about to/currently tackling.. I also am optimistic.. about the hair/fur system.. as old as sasquatch is it looks good.. but lacks the ease of use of FF4 or true hair.. FF4 is kind of middle of the road to me... true hair did not look good but good tools.. SAS full looks great but u have to do a million test renders..

I'm hoping this new system is worleys work.. or somthing comparable to C4d's hair.. i'm happy to hear about it.. but need to see it.. im not selling any plugins yet..

Skonk
02-20-2008, 01:08 PM
"San Antonio, TX -- February 20, 2008 -- NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading video and 3D animation products, today announced LightWaveŽ v9.5, a major update to its award-winning 3D application, LightWave 3DŽ. LightWaveŽ v9.5 new capabilities include a complete hair and fur solution, new lighting system and many improvements to animation, global illumination, rendering and workflow. The update will be available to registered owners of the LightWave v9 series at no charge. The LightWave v9.5 Open Beta program is scheduled to begin early March; LightWave v9 owners who wish to participate may register now by visiting: http://register.newtek.com/."

9.3 Beta and where is 9.3? and now 9.5 beta. Maybe we need to pay the other $400 for version 10 Beta.

I am not quite sure what Newtek marketing is thinking and where they are going to. If they think it will help to make LWers excited and still have hope for better LW, possibly not for me.
Indeed it has turned me off since 9.2 and 9.3 beta version.
Get the beta and register you new license again and again so Newtek can show off the investors that there are still LWers and there are more numbers coming to LW from the new register static.

JP

Im a little confused by this, when you say "where is 9.3?" is that to say that you think 9.3 is still in beta form and was never released? because 9.3 and 9.3.1 have been out for some time now.

iconoclasty
02-20-2008, 01:14 PM

JP

You're kind of talking crazy talk. I really don't think NT uses beta registrations for any investment data. The number of beta users is drastically lower than LW owners.

wacom
02-20-2008, 01:15 PM
I need some eye candy- but this is very good news for everyone. While we'll have to wait and "see" and get our hands on it to tell how good/usable these features are in daily practice I think it's awesome to see they're chipping away at the old LW and continuing to bringing on the new.

So...9.5...that leaves only 10 next! Maybe with 10 we'll see instancing, unified modeler and layout, some form of procedural or history stack for operations etc.
I'm very positive about those things now and the future LW releases.

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I really don't think NT uses beta registrations for any investment data.

Everyone knows that Newtek pays dividends based on forum posts.

serge
02-20-2008, 01:19 PM
*LOL*

Tell you what... take that back until you've actually used the new stuff. To be cynical; what if the new Hair and Fur system is crap? Don't sell stuff you may need... ;)
Yeah I know. It was meant more as a joke. :)

Of course I do hope the new Hair/Fur system is better than Sasquatch; I could see it as a free upgrade. If it's crap, I gain nothing.

I will be happy if it's Fiber Factory-4, and I still have use for Sasquatch since it has fur dynamics. For the owners of FF4 I really hope they will get some financial compensation.

Best scenario for me would be an improved Sasquatch with some financial compensation for Sasquatch owners. ;)

Skonk
02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I need some eye candy- but this is very good news for everyone. While we'll have to wait and "see" and get our hands on it to tell how good/usable these features are in daily practice I think it's awesome to see they're chipping away at the old LW and continuing to bringing on the new.

So...9.5...that leaves only 10 next! Maybe with 10 we'll see instancing, unified modeler and layout, some form of procedural or history stack for operations etc.
I'm very positive about those things now and the future LW releases.

You really need to stop assuming everyone wants layout and modeler merging into one. I like them seperate as do a lot of people, i like that i can have them both open on seperate montors etc..

If they are unified it needs to be done in such a way that a user can still open both and display them on seperate screens. If not then its not an improvement, its a step back.

jasonwestmas
02-20-2008, 01:27 PM
We still need modeler tools inside of layout though. I agree that modeler should always be a separate app.

iconoclasty
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Woah boys. We already have plenty of merge/separatist threads.

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Enough already! :hijack: :offtopic:

kfinla
02-20-2008, 01:36 PM
from what I've heard it sounds like it is FF4.. which makes some sense since Jon had it working with nodes etc..

Hopefuly its a new verison with a Mac UB version.. and it now works with GI, area lights etc..

LAV
02-20-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm very interested in this 9.5 release. In the recent times NT showed us a line of improving steps. I'm waiting for these improvements assuming they are on the same level of the previous ones.
So I can't wait for the release date!

PS: in the next cycle, don't matter of unionists or separatists... I'd like to see instancing, fluids and stacks.
:newtek:

titane357
02-20-2008, 01:43 PM
New Light API
IES Lights
New Spherical Light
Area and Linear Lights Enhanced
Faster Sampling System for GI
Improved GI Quality
New GI Controls to Customize the Render
Disk-Based GI Cache
New Hair and Fur System

ok, NT made a bridge to Vray for LW !!! :D

JBT27
02-20-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm very happy about the lights, and the renderer still being worked on - I'm just wondering how much faster the GI will be :)

But.....I'd still have liked a more up-to-date render management system - that's worth any number of actual renderer enhancements. But I reckon that'll come later :)

Hair and fur for free?? - providing it's good - you just wonder how Newtek manage to do this stuff and be this generous.....not that I'm complaining :D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Julian.

Stooch
02-20-2008, 02:02 PM
alot of nice promises! very exciting. of course true excitement shall be reserved until after the features get a nice thrashing.

wacom
02-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Sorry, I wrongly guessed the whole should modeler and "layout merge" argument was dead a few years ago. Didn't mean to step on any dinosaur toes!

Yeah- I say lets take the nodes back out too while we're at it- who needs that stuff...

Well that aside this is a very nice point release- I think we can all agree on that- no mater if we live in 2008 or 1988.:agree:

I'm hoping the light improvements include new shadow map options (like deep shadow maps)- fingers crossed.

iconoclasty
02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Good work staying on topic wacom.

Cageman
02-20-2008, 02:11 PM
PS: in the next cycle, don't matter of unionists or separatists... I'd like to see instancing, fluids and stacks.
:newtek:

Stacks?

RedBull
02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Well i was expecting a 9.5 announcement soon...
But i must admit I'm happy to see a few of those features...

New Collada, FBX and OBJ I/O
Multi-threaded Mesh Deformation Evaluation
OpenGL GLSL Enhanced for New Lighting System
New Hair and Fur System
New Light Plug-in Class for third Party Lights and Light Plug-ins

Some really nice things, the I/O options are important to my pipeline, and means LW can be included in others pipelines more easily... The Light Class for the SDK offers a lot of possibilities... And is a significant SDK feature!!!! (they don't happen often!)

If the hair/fur is inhouse, it's good to see because it shows NT are doing a lot more internal development without resorting to buying up plugins.....It's a really good .5 update, and i might even participate in the Beta again to get it a little earlier...

Congrats to Chuck, Jay and all the hardworking team, and a special thanks for the I/O improvements. And it gives the restless LW crowd something to talk about again! :)

wacom
Good work staying on topic wacom.

Sorry- I'm in call a spade a spade mode right now.

Cageman
Sorry, I wrongly guessed the whole should modeler and "layout merge" argument was dead a few years ago. Didn't mean to step on any dinosaur toes!

No need to dig up old stuff. I'm quite sure NT are working on that as well. After all, they had a solution that worked in design, but in reality it was too unstable and buggy so they abandoned that approach and are working on new ways to merge the two. That's what I'm told and I have little reason not to believe them.

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 02:20 PM
light improvements include new shadow map options (like deep shadow maps)- fingers crossed.

Or soft shadows on distant lights, point lights, area lights, linear lights...

DiedonD
02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
But they mention development in animation area aswell. What is that actually. What are they talking about? Did anyone had any recent contacts with the unnamed insiders that might wanna leak the info here maybe? :D

greent
Well that aside this is a very nice point release- I think we can all agree on that- no mater if we live in 2008 or 1988.:agree:

in 1988, amiga would still be kickin' and this would be a really nice release for her :-)

RedBull

The advantage is if soft shadows are not included a 3rd party developer should be able to do it with the Light API in the SDK.

(Deep Shadows I'm afraid not! :)

JeffrySG
02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I was hoping that the spherical light might be the NT version of a point/spot light that has soft shadows...

Larry_g1s
02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Very cool, I'm looking forward to it. Gotta love a .5 improvement for free!
Nice to see the IES Lights, some people on these boards where complaining about LW not having the IES Lights support, well, this outta keep 'em quite for a bit.

The advantage is if soft shadows are not included a 3rd party developer should be able to do it with the Light API in the SDK.Kray!

Limbus
02-20-2008, 02:45 PM
I hope the new OBJ importer support vertex normals :-)
Nice update.

Florian

RedBull
02-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Kray!

I think Kray already has softshadows? (should be able to do that already)
I mean Softshadows for LW lights, Distant, Spot, Point etc...
Not to mention new light types, perhaps even gradient lights.... ;)

mav3rick
02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
so im confused.. 9.5 open beta will start on early march.. usually when there do a press release it is for a finished point release.. not to tell us what they are about to/currently tackling.. I also am optimistic.. about the hair/fur system.. as old as sasquatch is it looks good.. but lacks the ease of use of FF4 or true hair.. FF4 is kind of middle of the road to me... true hair did not look good but good tools.. SAS full looks great but u have to do a million test renders..

I'm hoping this new system is worleys work.. or somthing comparable to C4d's hair.. i'm happy to hear about it.. but need to see it.. im not selling any plugins yet..

we are not talking of ffIV that is available on market. we talk on something integrated .

kfinla
02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Newtek has been known to buy plugins...:D

Cageman
02-20-2008, 03:02 PM
I think that's a Max terminology for stacked mesh modifiers.

I vote for Nodal...

EDIT: ...as in LightWave version of nodes. Node Item Motion is so powerfull and it's just a plugin. Imagine what can be done with an integrated solution! Wow! :)

Elmar Moelzer
02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Unless something has changed within the last two years and without me noticing, NT is an entirely privately held company, so I dont think that the idea with NT trying to please investors has any validity. Jirapong, make sure you double- check your facts before posting...
CU
Elmar

hrgiger
02-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Ok, can someone breakdown the New Collada, FBX and OBJ I/O section for me? I'm too lazy right now to look them all up. Tell me what this stuff is and why we want it. Is Collada have something to do with dynamics? And isn't FBX a motion format (I think I remember hearing people mention it in relation to a certain animation package that got swallowed up by one of the big companies).

cagey5
02-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I think collada is something to do with transferring data between games software development, but I could be wrong.

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Straight from Wikipedia:

COLLADA defines an open standard XML schema for exchanging digital assets among various graphics software applications that might otherwise store their assets in incompatible formats. COLLADA documents that describe digital assets are XML files, usually identified with a .dae (digital asset exchange) filename extension.

ftown
02-20-2008, 03:22 PM
collada was developed by sony for the ps3 engine, it describes digital files and info as XML files. It was set up to provide a way to share info between all the major 3D apps. What makes it interesting is that thats what Adobe uses, so maybe thats why rendition has been so delayed, because once LW can output collada stuff, that opens up the Adobe pipeline to us.

hrgiger
02-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Ok, so in english, this means that we can now exchange data with some additional applications that we currently cannot? Which ones and who are the ones who are really clamoring for this? Come on, details people! No textbook answers! (But thanks for looking anyway).

Dodgy
02-20-2008, 03:29 PM
I've heard the hair is home grown.....
<groan>

Dodgy
02-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Collada and fbx are both 3d formats. FBX was created for use with MotionBuilder for transferring files between different 3d packages and the LW version got left on the back burner when max took over maya which had taken over MB. This means it should be easier to animate in maya/max etc and render in LW or the other way around. For those that just use LW, it makes no odds.

lardbros
02-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Ok, so in english, this means that we can now exchange data with some additional applications that we currently cannot? Which ones and who are the ones who are really clamoring for this? Come on, details people! No textbook answers! (But thanks for looking anyway).

Collada and FBX are THE formats to exchange data with. They can be read into most 3d realtime software (ie Virtools, etc) and they are both great at keeping the data in such a way that nothing is harmed in the process. Maya, Max, and im sure XSI natively import FBX, not sure about collada, but MAX 9 has a free plugin you can use as an importer/exporter. Dunno if it's included with 2008 or not.

Bottom line is, the easier it is to natively export/import things into Lightwave, the better position Newtek are for other people using their software for major games etc!

RedBull
02-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Currently I'm taking my Modo scenes and exporting them straight into Houdini 9.1 (which added FBX support) so now my scenes come in straight as they would in Modo and allow me to render in 3Delight and Mantra.

I can than do some stuff in Houdini and export to Blender, where i can add some fluids and then bring the FBX back into LW for final rendering. LW will once again be included in other pipelines and have more I/O connectivity with all the other DCC applications on the market. (Something it desperately needs)

Thomas M.
02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Before everybody is just wetting their pants, we should wait till we finally know what will be delivered. So far we have a few words on a list. That doesn't say anything about the quality yet. If it is FF4 which got implemented it can be nice, but from what I heared from a fellow LWer, it's not suitable for print purposes. Hopefully that won't be the case. So let's cross fingers, that it'll be as good as it sounds.

Cheers
Thomas

ana027
02-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks NT, impressive list of new features. All lw users are impatient with the new version.:thumbsup:

RedBull
02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Before everybody is just wetting their pants, we should wait till we finally know what will be delivered. So far we have a few words on a list. That doesn't say anything about the quality yet. If it is FF4 which got implemented it can be nice, but from what I heared from a fellow LWer, it's not suitable for print purposes. Hopefully that won't be the case. So let's cross fingers, that it'll be as good as it sounds.

Cheers
Thomas

I really doubt it's FF4, FF4 is still available, and has not been removed from the website as is normal when NT buy plugins, i would say this is an internal solution. Which is good if NT are actually designing and making stuff themselves again, but means i won't be expecting amazing results (at least at first) Maybe it's just an updated Sasquatch Lite... :)

FF4 doesn't support GI, so it would be a fairly incomplete solution to begin with.

hrgiger
02-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Maybe it's just an updated Sasquatch Lite... :)

I'm sure (ok, I hope) that it is not just an updated Sasquatch lite or eqvivalent. The word complete before hair solution makes me think we're looking at something at least better then that. I hope that when they say complete, what they mean is A) available to all LW light types B) is seen in raytracing and NOT a post-process effect and C) able to be animated either through it's own internal dynamics system or by modifying it's guide geometry if it has such. Of course, I could be expecting a little too much but what I'm not expecting is an updated Sasquatch lite. When they put Sas lite into LW 7, they just said "hair and fur" as a feature. I'm hoping they're not pumping it up when they say this time around "complete".

Chuck
02-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Which is good if NT are actually designing and making stuff themselves again

We've never stopped designing and making features ourselves. We also acquire when it makes sense to do so, and in the instances that we've added folks to the team in addition to acquiring IP they had created, we have regularly advanced that IP with not only the effort of the originator but other team members as well.

hrgiger
02-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Chuck, I'm not sure if you can give us any more details then we already know but I'm wondering will we find out any more details about the new features before the release of the beta? I, would love to hear from Jay himself on the obvious great amount of work that has gone into this new release.

Skonk
02-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Back to the FBX and collada, these 2 in particular are very much needed when it comes to getting data from lightwave into games.

As an example, Microsoft's XNA system (game creation framework for PC and XBox 360) has support for (and generally preferes) FBX files. Currently we'v been having to use .X (directx) files, which we can only export at the directx 8 standard due to lack of exporter plugins and there are limits on what a .x file can hold.

But also as a means to transport the objects between different applications while retaining important data (lights, cameras etc).

Esentially an entire game level can be created and stored in a single FBX file, this will allow game levels to be built in lightwave.

hrgiger
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Well that is good. I would love to see more game-friendly features put into Lightwave. I'd love to see Lightwave take some of the game market away from Max.

lardbros
02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
From what chuck jst said it sounds to me like they've got Jon Tindall on board with them and they have updated it so maybe it works just within the interface or it works with all the latest features?

To me Fiber Factory looks ok, just not outstanding. Then im just going by the gallery and videos from the site. The actual software is a step in the right direction for lightwave though. Simpler to use than some, and could be nice if Newtek spend some time tweaking the way it works within LW!

It does more than many other hair solutions in that it works with many of LWs built in render stuff. I deep down am hoping that Newtek have teamed with Steve Worley instead, but kinda think not. I just prefer the output of Sasquatch at the moment, but then Newtek are working wonders these days, so it's all about to go arse about face!! Things are gonna get better and better whatever solution they've chosen!

Im so happy i could cry! :D

Skonk
02-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Well that is good. I would love to see more game-friendly features put into Lightwave. I'd love to see Lightwave take some of the game market away from Max.

Lightwave is a great tool for creating game assets but as you say, Max is the one ppl still tend to think of when it comes to creating stuff for games.

With regards to XNA, Softimage jumped right on it and have focussed their "Mod Tool" version (which is free) on using it with XNA, to the point where it hooks into Visual Studio and your XNA project to help manage the content.

But i HATE the XSI interface and workflow so iv stuck to Lightwave and .X files. Getting a proper, working (i really hope it can do ascii files and not just binary) FBX exporter in lightwave will really help.

The new UV mapping tools will also help in this area too obviously :)

Matt
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
This is an awesome free release NewTek!!!

- Faster / better GI
- Light API / IES lights

These two were my biggest requests, and you've just given them to me for free, and a whole lot more!!!

Did I mention this is a FREE update! ;) Amazing, you guys are very generous indeed, I hope everybody appreciates this fact!

:thumbsup:

Dirk
02-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I would love to see some videos of the new features.....

..... pretty, pretty, pretty please .....

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

MentalFish
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Fanboy warning!

:boogiedow

Personally I am all giddy over the FBX / COLLADA features, as it will come in handy together with Unity 3D. On top of that there is all the other new features that makes me want to go back into more traditional 3D though. :lightwave

I bought LightWave back in the 8.x cycle, and I am still getting free ugrades, its almost too good to be true :I_Love_Ne

Other companies wont even let you upgrade from previous version on Windows to current version on Mac, and if you miss one version even if its a pointrelease, your'e back to zero again.

Once again, oh joy! Let the beta begin... :beta:

theWOODman
02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Wow this is very cool. I can't wait to be a part of the testing. I just got FPrime and was thinking of getting Sasquatch too.

Philbert
02-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Collada and FBX are very exciting and not just for games. Here's an example. The last studio I was working for I worked from home and was working in LightWave, but their animators used Max, so I would be able to just save out the character as an FBX or Collada, fully rigged, send it to them, and they just load it up and start animating.

RedBull
02-20-2008, 05:26 PM
We've never stopped designing and making features ourselves. We also acquire when it makes sense to do so, and in the instances that we've added folks to the team in addition to acquiring IP they had created, we have regularly advanced that IP with not only the effort of the originator but other team members as well.

To clarify, didn't mean to imply you guys do nothing, but when i mention "stuff" looking at NT history..... The only real internal improvement i see as largely internal are new features like Motion Blur and DOF, KD-Tree etc.... These are things were not around with the former dev team, and are big issues to tackle, on the other hand things like taking the Null Edit Options, and combining with the Null command, is hardly impressive internal coding. :)

Saslite was a plugin from Worley, TLU's plugins were totally bought up for LW9, R2, Nodal are all plugins made by others. Almost every procedural in LW was made by Marvin (or Dpont), Dope Track and Motion Designer 1/2, Hypervoxels, Particle Systems. LW is very largely based on others works.

And the majority of what we currently have in LW was done by people who are not with NT anymore. With LW8.x the previous development team left NT in the lurch, it cannot be easy to just assemble a team and sit them in front of 10 years of spaghetti C code.....And say "make it better" When talented former employees like Allen and Stuart were the main driving force on the programming sides of their respective bits.

So it's been a while since any driving innovation has come from Newtek. Quite frankly the Light API or SDK improvement is likely the biggest addition to the SDK in MANY years. As i said it would likely take a new team sometime to come to grips with the situation NT was faced with, and it's good to see some potentially large internal programming coming from Newtek...

FBX/Collada for example are the first I/O improvement in a long time!
And this time i don't think Autodesk made the plugin? Take it as a compliment! :) (As it was meant as one!)

NT is one of the few 3D companies to actually own some IP and Patents.... I Know i keep an eye on all of them... :)

kopperdrake
02-20-2008, 05:38 PM
DISK CACHE!
Improved GI!
IES Lights!
LIGHT API!!!

Perhaps we can also render disk cache over the network... would make sense!

That last one... the old team could never do this, we finally have a Light plugin class!
And all that in a free upgrade... fantastic!

You've pretty much summed up my reaction there :D In the same order too ;)

Except I also like the FBX support - maybe it'll be easier to get axyz metropoly people into arch viz scenes now - weehaa!

RedBull
02-20-2008, 05:43 PM
I would love to see some videos of the new features.....

..... pretty, pretty, pretty please .....

It's a really good idea, just some early teasers are a good way to keep the 'hype' going..... Some demo's from the developers perhaps!

The threads at Digg, CGTalk and various mailing lists, need to keep going for a little while, before we go back into NDA Beta status, because after that the hype dies, way too quickly.....

It's nice to have some positive LW threads, i seem to read and comment on Linux and Blender more than LW lately, (and the mailing lists are dead!) it would be nice to see that change at least until 9.5 is out! :)

Lightwolf
02-20-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm really looking forward to the FBX i/o. This will allow me to take complete scenes over to Fusion (which can be a hassle with native LW scenes) :)

The other improvements are very welcome as well... Kudos, for a point upgrade this is grand...

Cheers,
Mike - looking forward to the light SDK of course...

DogBoy
02-20-2008, 06:26 PM
If NT have put a hair solution into all versions of 9.5 that will make a bunch of people happy, "bought in" or not. It has p*ssed me off somewhat that SasLite was only on 32bit Windows (being a 64bit nerd) and Mac CFM(?), and with the advent of Mac UB a universal LW hair solution is much needed.

Good going NT :thumbsup: .

Philbert
02-20-2008, 06:34 PM
It has p*ssed me off somewhat that SasLite was only on 32bit Windows (being a 64bit nerd) and Mac CFM(?), and with the advent of Mac UB a universal LW hair solution is much needed.

You have a good point here I hadn't thought about that. I'm on 64 bit too and frankly it's annoying to have to have both version snstalled just for the plugins that don't work in 64 bit.

Can someone clarify what a few things are? Like Symmetry Tolerance and IES Lights.

Mark The Great
02-20-2008, 06:38 PM
You have a good point here I hadn't thought about that. I'm on 64 bit too and frankly it's annoying to have to have both version snstalled just for the plugins that don't work in 64 bit.

Can someone clarify what a few things are? Like Symmetry Tolerance and IES Lights.

I don't know about IES lights, but I'm guessing that the Symmetry Tolerance makes Lightwave consider almost-symmetrical things symmetrical. Kinda like the tolerance setting on "Merge Points".

Exception
02-20-2008, 06:38 PM

IES lights are lights that have their nature controlled by industry standard light-distribution photo-web files called IES files. You can download them for free from any light manufacturer, and they offer a variety of lights completely unimaginable without IES files... they can be really spectacular. Further more they are a necessity when working for lighting people (obviously). here's an image of some... http://photo4.yupoo.com/20061127/193132_30016315_ucnfquft.jpg

Symmetry Tolerance I guess is a little tolerance on points when the symmetry function is used, so that symmetry doesn't fail that easily.

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Working in the industry I know more about IES lights than I care to know. Stands for Illuminating Engineering Society of North America. Basically it's a description of the light pattern produced by a fixture. You can download thousands of these from manufacturer's websites as .ies files to get the data. So your arch viz work will exactly match what fixtures the architects/engineers have specified on the schedule.

EDIT: Sorry Exception, posted before I did...:D

kfinla
02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
besides all the hair talk... which im mostly interested in since i may finally be able to run UB lightwave and have a hair solution.. I'm happy about the OBJ I/O update.. i've been complaining about the ancient OBJ importer/exporter in LW for years.. it is horrible slow and finicky.. welcome update

Philbert
02-20-2008, 06:44 PM
The symmetry makes sense. It would be nice to have a button, I guess more like a macro, called Make Symmetrical, that would basically delete half and mirror, with just one step.

IES Lights sounds something like the Real Lens cameras. Thanks for the info!

hrgiger
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Having a tolerance for symmetry is nice. I myself find it annoying to try and keep a model perfectly symmetrical all through the creation, only to want to make it not so symmetrical through tweaking after I'm finished. I would rather be able to put it a bit out of whack from the start, and still work with symmetry on. I don't know how it works though so we'll have to wait to see it in action.

JGary
02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm happy about the OBJ I/O update.. i've been complaining about the ancient OBJ importer/exporter in LW for years.. it is horrible slow and finicky.. welcome update

Looking foward to a new obj importer as well. Right now I'm trying to get some dense meshes from Zbrush into Lightwave and the only way I can get it to work is to load the Zbrush obj into Maya, export back out as obj, then Lightwave is able to load the object. Bring on the update!

KillMe
02-20-2008, 06:51 PM
impressive!!! dont think i need to say more other than i dont want to wait give it to me now =)

hrgiger
02-20-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm hopeful on the character animation improvements. I hope the IK/FK blending is a snap to setup and even easier to use. The multi-threaded Mesh Deformation Evaluation sounds sweet, I'm glad I just bought my quad core so I can properly test it out.

Anyone care to speculate what the new bone type joint might be?

jameswillmott
02-20-2008, 07:01 PM
IES lights are lights that have their nature controlled by industry standard light-distribution photo-web files called IES files. You can download them for free from any light manufacturer, and they offer a variety of lights completely unimaginable without IES files... they can be really spectacular. Further more they are a necessity when working for lighting people (obviously). here's an image of some... http://photo4.yupoo.com/20061127/193132_30016315_ucnfquft.jpg

Thanks, they look gorgeous, just what I need for visualising architectural interiors properly! That and the disk based GI cache are going to make my job a lot easier!

wacom
02-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Anyone care to speculate what the new bone type joint might be?

I think anyone who knows anything about it would have to say "...they only inhaled..." and can't talk about it any further.:D

I have never used it though...the new bone type...but am wondering if its similar to what is now in C4D...which I also have never used. I've only seen it on the C4D web site, but there they acted like it was going to revolutionize every rigging situation so that weights and extra bones were never, ever needed. Problem was the demo videos showed the guy moving a joint...and you could see other unintended parts of the mesh deform...hmm...

At any rate it would be a welcome tool!

Anyone who has had more than a wiff of this new joint tool care to elaborate?

prospector
02-20-2008, 08:03 PM
it was going to revolutionize every rigging situation so that weights and extra bones were never, ever needed.

HMMMmmm
If so I could become happy.
But the powers that be in the universe, never want me happy, so I doubt it's that.:)

hrgiger
02-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Maybe it's a bone with a lattice cage? So you can adjust the mesh when you bend the bone? Probably not though.

Exception
02-20-2008, 08:37 PM
It's a kitten bone, I think.
For herding kittens.

ivanze
02-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Or a funny bone.

robk
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
all new real-world lighting system and GI that is significantly faster with even more beautiful results

No one seems to of hit on this one yet but does all new REAL-WORLD lighting system mean a Maxwell/Fryrender type option for lighting?

jameswillmott
02-20-2008, 09:24 PM
No one seems to of hit on this one yet but does all new REAL-WORLD lighting system mean a Maxwell/Fryrender type option for lighting?

That would be nice, but wouldn't that entail an almost complete rewrite to have accomplished? We'll find out soon enough anyway...

3D Kiwi
02-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Im am guessing that the new scene file formatt will cause problems with deadline, tequila etc again. I hope they have given them and the other network rendering softwear companies a sample scene so they can be up and running when 9.5 goes gold.

robk
02-20-2008, 09:54 PM
That would be nice, but wouldn't that entail an almost complete rewrite to have accomplished? We'll find out soon enough anyway...

I didn't think it plausable either. I just thought they may add an option to all the other options we have now. It was the "REAL-WORLD lighting system" that caught my eye but that might only mean real world lights, meaning IES lights.
Having Ies lights built-in should be nice. Dpont's node works quite well for that now though. (just a little more work to set up)

manholoz
02-20-2008, 10:01 PM
i hope real world lighting goes beyond IES light. Not that that having them implemented natively isn't a big deal (because it is), but because not all lights in the real world behave in a IES-friendly fashion.

ikarth
02-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Looks like a good time to experiment with rigging. And maybe that character I was working on will have fur after all...

voriax
02-20-2008, 10:23 PM
And I just started a project that requires fur.. wish I could postpone it for a couple of weeks!

kfinla
02-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Real-world lighting.... Physical sky?

wacom
02-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, but this press release didn't get a nice creepy photo of a CEO like the Autodesk one plastered on CGtalk.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4432

So much relevant info that it blew my mind.

I'm a little disappointed that NewTek doesn't have a senior staff member that puts a chill up my spine and makes small children run for their lives.

Come on NewTek you need to put up pics like this if you wan the big bucks.:heart:

So a recap on how newtek could make a better LW:

1) Change an Icon and call it a feature- don't introduce more than 1/2 changes per a major release.

2) Find a game or motion picture done with six different programs, including in house tools, and buy up the rights to say twas all yours.

3) Just buy some company. Doesn't have to be entirely relevant, just make sure it's a near take over. I know a small CSA farm that you might be able to buy all the shares from! Maybe a small outboard motor company... Of coarse the best is to by a "good" company that makes some 3D specialty app...and then just neglect it after you've squeezed out every penny from licensing fees.

4) Don't give us 24hrs of free tutorials, or a candid discussion about your software- instead use that money to hire a simple "phong" shaded CEO type and buy up a CG talk fluff spot- creepy picture required!

PS- the smile was done with a new MAX mr exclusive "smile" shader cause it's hard to get that veneer smile just right (hard to see it in action in this shot)! Hair and rest are a simple "Phong" shader to provide that plastic charm.

Oh...I guess for now we'll just have to wait for the 9.5 beta while NewTek gets it's fake CEO on and hits the marketing train...

Sande
02-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Ahh, what a relief - improvements are actually looking very good. :)

I've to say that this comes at the last possible time for my company - we already moved to Maya in character animation and I've (reluctantly) evaluated XSI this week as a substitute for LW.

If everything works as it should (especially the Collada/FBX/OBJ-IO) I'm pretty certain that I can keep working with the software I like also in the (near) future. :)

manproof
02-20-2008, 11:26 PM
All of the new features look great, and I am excited to give them a spin on the PC. However, I am a touch concerned that Mac users are getting dogged a little.

I recognize that using a Mac is my choice, and that the PC user base is vastly greater than that of the Mac. However, we keep getting these wonderful point upgrades that overall perform superbly on the PC, but Mac versions are almost always a few steps behind in release date and/or quality. Part of me wants to see Mac development take an "every-other-iteration" approach. For example, make LW 9.2 tight for the Mac, but don't bother with 9.3 for the Mac.

Developing for both Mac flavors is no simple task, which I completely recognize. Apple certainly didn't make this easy for you. The work that has been done by the very capable Newtek programmers has been good, and to be honest, I am very happy that Newtek develops for the Mac at all.

Adopting the "every-other-iteration" approach would net criticism as well, so there is no obvious solution. Personally, I would like to see resources used for Mac development focused not so much on keeping up with the PC versions of LW, but more for making really good Mac iterations of this application. Perhaps I should suck it up and just wait for LW 10... a fair suggestion.

All of this said, I use both PC and Mac versions of LW, and am thrilled with the feature list unveiled for 9.5. The application remains my tool of choice on both platforms for 3D work for reasons everyone in this forum already recognizes. Lightwave kicks colon.

Philbert
02-20-2008, 11:32 PM
So a recap on how newtek could make a better LW

You forgot "Don't allow anyone to use the software until they've paid a hefty full or upgrade price."

wacom
02-20-2008, 11:36 PM
You forgot "Don't allow anyone to use the software until they've paid a hefty full or upgrade price."

Now, now...they freely allow piracy. Some call it a "learning addition", others call it warez.

Stooch
02-20-2008, 11:42 PM
I am disappointed that they didnt include the RoundHouse tool for layout.

atleast the finalbeard seems to have made it.

Wickster
02-21-2008, 12:02 AM
I am disappointed that they didnt include the RoundHouse tool for layout.

atleast the finalbeard seems to have made it.
For those not in the the know these tools are some of the super-secret internal OB beta codenames for the features you're all about to see (RoundHouse maybe later). As of right now the finalbeard is announced but RoundHouse is still under NDA...shame on you Stooch, the public aren't suppose to know these. :D

Stooch
02-21-2008, 12:15 AM
well since its released i gather that the Final Beard feature is no longer considered NDA right?

Round House is a secret though and i apologize to chuck.

http://khailee.info/blog-images/2d13a38193a5_14932/chuck_norris_thumb5.jpg

no no... not you norris, the other chuck.

mav3rick
02-21-2008, 02:02 AM
From what chuck jst said it sounds to me like they've got Jon Tindall on board with them and they have updated it so maybe it works just within the interface or it works with all the latest features?

To me Fiber Factory looks ok, just not outstanding. Then im just going by the gallery and videos from the site. The actual software is a step in the right direction for lightwave though. Simpler to use than some, and could be nice if Newtek spend some time tweaking the way it works within LW!

It does more than many other hair solutions in that it works with many of LWs built in render stuff. I deep down am hoping that Newtek have teamed with Steve Worley instead, but kinda think not. I just prefer the output of Sasquatch at the moment, but then Newtek are working wonders these days, so it's all about to go arse about face!! Things are gonna get better and better whatever solution they've chosen!

Im so happy i could cry! :D

cry u moster
cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Philbert
02-21-2008, 02:06 AM
I thought it was going to be called Beard FX?

mav3rick
02-21-2008, 02:07 AM
It's a really good idea, just some early teasers are a good way to keep the 'hype' going..... Some demo's from the developers perhaps!

The threads at Digg, CGTalk and various mailing lists, need to keep going for a little while, before we go back into NDA Beta status, because after that the hype dies, way too quickly.....

It's nice to have some positive LW threads, i seem to read and comment on Linux and Blender more than LW lately, (and the mailing lists are dead!) it would be nice to see that change at least until 9.5 is out! :)

read the announcement every morning and u will be on shot for next 7 days

mav3rick
02-21-2008, 02:11 AM
Newtek has been known to buy plugins...:D

again i am telling u .. u can or not believe but ... better to believe

-EsHrA-
02-21-2008, 02:27 AM
its not so much about again bolting on new toys, its more about consolidation of tools, interactivity,
streamlining and renewing the outdated and slow core.
i sincerely hope they did stuff to the ui and communication between the apps aka hub.

lets wait n see...

mlon

Eugeny
02-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Can some one explain that are these things are :

EXIF Metadata Suppor
Image Viewer Consolidation

Anyway this announce make my day , can wait for the beta :beta: :lightwave

Philbert
02-21-2008, 03:06 AM
Can some one explain that are these things are :

EXIF Metadata Suppor

Perhaps bringing multiple aspects of the image viewer (aka finished render window) together, like Image Viewer, Image Viewer FP, maybe even Visor, all in one. I know in digital photos EXIF Date is embeded in the image file and contains info about the camera and camera settings used to take the picture. Maybe Lightwave will now use that same technique to store info about the render. If you have IrFanView (you should, it's free) you can read the EXIF data from images. It's fun to read it from random images you find on the web.

pva
02-21-2008, 03:10 AM
Great news! What a bunch of awesome improvements!

I'm anxious to start learning the new features, good work Newtek!

Limbus
02-21-2008, 03:10 AM
EXIF Metadata Suppor

I asked for EXIF Metadata some time ago. Great it got added. You could also store rendertime, copyright info, pass name (for semi automatic comping) in it.

Image Viewer consolidation might mean some cool tone mapping tools, histogramm display, custom user text like Kray or Vray, levels tool, curves tool. But this is just me speculating :-)

Florian

Philbert
02-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Image Viewer consolidation might mean some cool tone mapping tools, histogramm display, custom user text like Kray or Vray, levels tool, curves tool. But this is just me speculating :-)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding... We already have custom user text, it's been there for at least 5 years.

Limbus
02-21-2008, 03:24 AM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding... We already have custom user text, it's been there for at least 5 years.
Do you mean the overlay function?

Kuzey
02-21-2008, 03:30 AM
I'm just happy the Character stuff is finally getting a look see by Newtek, everything else is a beautiful bonus.

Kuzey

Philbert
02-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Do you mean the overlay function?
yeah, where you can type in some text and it overlays it on top of your render. Is that not what you meant?

Limbus
02-21-2008, 03:38 AM
yeah, where you can type in some text and it overlays it on top of your render. Is that not what you meant?
Yeah, but how about adding stuff like rendertime, LW Version, poly count automatically. And it would be even cooler if that text would be on an extra layer if you use an image format that supports layers.

Cheers, Florian

Philbert
02-21-2008, 03:39 AM
Yeah, but how about adding stuff like rendertime, LW Version, poly count automatically. And it would be even cooler if that text would be on an extra layer if you use an image format that supports layers.

Cheers, Florian

Ah yes I remember us having that discussion before. Didn't someone write a basic plugin that would create and HTML page with that info next to the image? Of tat's not as good , I'm just remembering. OK I'll stop thread hijacking now :)

titane357
02-21-2008, 04:07 AM
Nobody talk about this but NT seems to notice that " architectural visualization" is a great part of 3d market ?

halas
02-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaks NT

halas
02-21-2008, 05:21 AM
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks NT

CAClark
02-21-2008, 07:00 AM
No mention of CC UV fixes though.

wiremuse
02-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Great sounding updates...

Are more "general" animation tools in the pipleline for lightwave? Such as object arrays with support for animation?

Still no basic lattice deformer cage for layout to this day? o.O

Regardless some fantastic well needed updates.

LW_Will
02-21-2008, 08:02 AM
To all of Newtek, its programmers, marketing and support staff for the Lightwave3D product line, thank-you.

Thank you very much indeed.

Just thought it should be said.

archijam
02-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks Newtek, looks great! :D

Does that mean lights are now a plugin class ?

j.

ps. wiremuse - nice avatar!

jasonwestmas
02-21-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah, but this press release didn't get a nice creepy photo of a CEO like the Autodesk one plastered on CGtalk.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4432

So much relevant info that it blew my mind.

I'm a little disappointed that NewTek doesn't have a senior staff member that puts a chill up my spine and makes small children run for their lives.

Come on NewTek you need to put up pics like this if you wan the big bucks.:heart:

So a recap on how newtek could make a better LW:

1) Change an Icon and call it a feature- don't introduce more than 1/2 changes per a major release.

2) Find a game or motion picture done with six different programs, including in house tools, and buy up the rights to say twas all yours.

3) Just buy some company. Doesn't have to be entirely relevant, just make sure it's a near take over. I know a small CSA farm that you might be able to buy all the shares from! Maybe a small outboard motor company... Of coarse the best is to by a "good" company that makes some 3D specialty app...and then just neglect it after you've squeezed out every penny from licensing fees.

4) Don't give us 24hrs of free tutorials, or a candid discussion about your software- instead use that money to hire a simple "phong" shaded CEO type and buy up a CG talk fluff spot- creepy picture required!

PS- the smile was done with a new MAX mr exclusive "smile" shader cause it's hard to get that veneer smile just right (hard to see it in action in this shot)! Hair and rest are a simple "Phong" shader to provide that plastic charm.

Oh...I guess for now we'll just have to wait for the 9.5 beta while NewTek gets it's fake CEO on and hits the marketing train...

:lol: :rock:

Well that's dead on!

jasonwestmas
02-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Nobody talk about this but NT seems to notice that " architectural visualization" is a great part of 3d market ? Well previz is definately half of the market, guess what the other half is. . . ;)

Lightwolf
02-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Well previz is definately half of the market, guess what the other half is. . . ;)
d'oh, postviz of course ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Was it just me, or did that "Super Secret" renders thread just get closed?

manproof
02-21-2008, 09:06 AM
It's not just you inigo07, looks shut down to me too. The MIB finally rolled in.

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Crap, didn't even save those images to my computer. Mayhaps I have them in browser cache...

mav3rick
02-21-2008, 09:08 AM
looks like some guys got too much of self freedom
bad to rest of us that are following NDA agrement

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Right.

At least it can't hurt Newtek; it was all really just a teaser for the rest of us.

JeffrySG
02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
The shhh.... preview thread went "bye bye".... it was cool while it lasted...lol

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 09:13 AM
So it goes.

JeffrySG
02-21-2008, 09:15 AM
I really liked the look of the sphere light images and the IES lights!! If I close my eyes I can still picture them!!! ;)

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Wait...it magically reappeared...

Matt
02-21-2008, 09:18 AM
The shhh.... preview thread went "bye bye".... it was cool while it lasted...lol

That's a real shame, I was really enjoying seeing the new stuff, very excited now! Oh well, at least we have the press release!

Matt
02-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Wait...it magically reappeared...

So it has! How strange! Maybe a communication error over at NewTek?

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 09:23 AM
I have now downloaded all "secret images" to my hard drive.

The only way Newtek can get them back is if they send me an invitation to closed beta.

I will release these images to the world if I don't get a link to download the closed beta!

Brian_7
02-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I wonder if MIB is coming after me.... I have them....

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 09:42 AM
He he he...looks like that thread was shut down AGAIN.

So my blackmail offer is even more potent...I will upload these images if I don't get an invitation to closed beta!

P.S. During the 3 years of my career in web design and CG, I have been under numerous NDAs...and never once revealed anything. I am trustworthy. I can program. I am a good beta tester.

Kryos
02-21-2008, 09:47 AM
I just thought of something.... YAY!!!! Now we can stop hearing poser kiddies whining about getting their poser stuff into LW thanks to the Collada support.... That'll be a relief.... though I must admit, that means that much more work done that way which could be a bad thing, but then it could be a good thing as well.

But honestly, I've been dying for the collada support myself as I do a lot of work with game engines. :D Yippy. One reason I've been hesitant in learning LW to begin with. But here we go. Can't wait for it or any of the other stuff coming.

JeffrySG
02-21-2008, 09:57 AM
It's still here... it's in the OB forums now... tips and tricks area...

Mitja
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
I missed the IES lihgts part!!! Inigo07, would you risk the partecipation to the betateam to show me those?

Hidden Halibut
02-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Wait, what, where did that thread go?

*grin*

Too late, well I guess I'll post my fishy 9.5 renders and animations on the Autodesk forum instead ;)

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I missed the IES lihgts part!!! Inigo07, would you risk the partecipation to the betateam to show me those?

Well...depends...on what Hidden Halibut here decides to do...

JeffrySG
02-21-2008, 10:30 AM
^lol.... it's here:

NewTek Discussions > LightWave Open Beta > LW v9.3 Techniques, Tips and Discoveries

Hidden Halibut
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
NewTek Discussions > LightWave Open Beta > LW v9.3 Techniques, Tips and Discoveries

That's forbidden for Hidden Halibuts and Secret Squirrels...

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 10:45 AM
And Weird Wombats? And Invisible Iguanas?

jburford
02-21-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm really looking forward to the FBX i/o. This will allow me to take complete scenes over to Fusion (which can be a hassle with native LW scenes) :)

The other improvements are very welcome as well... Kudos, for a point upgrade this is grand...

Cheers,
Mike - looking forward to the light SDK of course...

Am I the only one where FBX currently is working???

confused . .

Kryos
02-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Am I the only one where FBX currently is working???

confused . .

Oh, FBX works, but you gotta use older versions of FBX which aren't as compatible with other apps as the newer versions of FBX.

Andyjaggy
02-21-2008, 11:00 AM
No mention of CC UV fixes though.

I was wondering when you would chime in with that. :) I have the same concern. I can only hope that it isn't on the list because it should have been working allready I can just see it

New features:
-We finally got our CC's working after the initial release 2 years ago.

Matt
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
It's moved again!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80311

Dirk
02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Awwwwwwwwww..... I want to know what Joint-Bones do !!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

G3D
02-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Looks like many steps in the right direction.
Curious about the UV features ... I hope they make LW more competitive
with Maya, and hopefully they are truly new code and not a purchased plugin.

Other good news about LW its definitely being used more in LA/Hollywood area.

mosconariz
02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Chuck does not sleep. He waits.

Chuck can kill two stones with one bird.

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

david225
02-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Has anyone doing the 9.5 beta had any trouble registering? I got the emai with my serial #, but for some reason, newtek registration won't take it...

JustBob
02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Great sounding updates...

Are more "general" animation tools in the pipleline for lightwave? Such as object arrays with support for animation?

Still no basic lattice deformer cage for layout to this day? o.O

Regardless some fantastic well needed updates.

Well needed and quite welcome updates, indeed. :)

So, my son, I see you still have that darn lattice fetish. Come to think of it, Lowe's has some nice lattice boards that would look great on our upper deck. You know where the hammer and nails are, you'll have all the lattice goodness to yourself...get to it! :neener:

Marvin Miller
02-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Has anyone doing the 9.5 beta had any trouble registering? I got the emai with my serial #, but for some reason, newtek registration won't take it...

The LightWave v9.5 Open Beta has not yet started. We will announce on this forum when it has. I don't have an exact date at this time.

masterchief
03-03-2008, 09:24 AM

I signed up for 9.5 Beta, received my serial number... it is listed on my registered products page... no access to software. LOL

regards,
William

Philbert
03-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Everyone, don't forget the NDA you sign when registering for OB.

masterchief
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Everyone, don't forget the NDA you sign when registering for OB.

There is NOTHING to disclose as of yet, right?

Isn't it pathetic to post v9.5 images publicly to attract attention to BETA that cannot be distributed and then toss out comment about NDA issue????

Public display of v9.5 ouput could possibly be construed as violation of NDA... depends upon what side of the fence you find yourself when you attempt an answer to the question..

regards,
William

masterchief
03-03-2008, 09:45 AM
The LightWave v9.5 Open Beta has not yet started. We will announce on this forum when it has. I don't have an exact date at this time.

Is NewTek going to withdraw statement that Lightwave v9.5 has been released?

regards,
William

Philbert
03-03-2008, 10:05 AM
There is NOTHING to disclose as of yet, right?
regards,
William

According to the NDA you can't say you're an open beta tester publicly.

Lito
03-03-2008, 10:12 AM
But you definitely can say, "I can neither confirm or deny joining or checking a check box stating my desire to participate in the Lightwave 9.5 open beta program should such a open beta program exist or exist in the future."

:)

Philbert
03-03-2008, 10:16 AM

BTW don't ask me how I know that.

masterchief
03-03-2008, 10:19 AM

OK.. I am NOT.. but I want to be.. obviously, so do others.

I will not disclose if and when my status changes in that regard.

How is that for damage control...

regards,
William

Andyjaggy
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
I for one originally felt when they said the 1st of March that it would mean sometime in April, so I'm not too disappointed. I hoped they would prove me wrong but wasn't expecting it.

littlewaves
03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I for one originally felt when they said the 1st of March that it would mean sometime in April, so I'm not too disappointed. I hoped they would prove me wrong but wasn't expecting it.

ditto

It could be worse. At least we're not on Z-Brush/pixologic time.

Andyjaggy
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
As much as I want to get my hands on 9.5 I can wait. I don't really need hair and would just be messing around with it anyway. I would like to play with the new lights and even more see how the new UV tools stack up, but again I have PLG and I can wait.

lardbros
03-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Ooh, i dunno, newtek seems to have been fair to their word for the past few betas. Their reputation has been appalling before, but i think they are on the road to recovery. Although their marketing leaves a lot to be desired at times! = almost non-existent.

If it weren't for the busy bodies who live and love lightwave there wouldn't have been a video demoing some of the 9.3.1 tech stuff. Guess for a relatively small team they do some good work, just they could appear to be much larger with some clever marketing skills!

*Pete*
03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I just received a newsletter from NT, i quess 9.5 is out soon, very soon....perhaps the coming friday?

Andyjaggy
03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
A newsletter from NT! Wow, that hasn't happened in a really long time.

lardbros
03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't got one! :(

I never seem to... i've subscribed 3 times to their newsletters and each time they end up losing my email or something?

Andyjaggy
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't have one either, I just checked. I think he's making it up.

Steamthrower
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Sadly I have never received a newsletter from Newtek.

I've signed up three or four times. Tried my paid domain email first, then supposed that perhaps the junk filter was getting it. Switched it to Gmail, never got it...

Anyway, I'm expecting the new beta to be out by mid-month. They never said a particular date. I think they said "early March".

But when for Mac???

Andyjaggy
03-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I used to get newsletters but haven't seen one in about 6 months or so.

CAClark
03-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I still get them, for what they are ever worth.

art
03-03-2008, 03:18 PM
I do get newsletters once in a while, but I did not get today's. Also, I consider this post to be a good news:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80791

tonybliss
03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
i got one from nt europe yesterday ;)

Philbert
03-04-2008, 12:26 AM
I didn't get mine either :( I don't think I've received one in a year at least. Oh NT why do you hate me so? :p

Darth Mole
03-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Nope, nothing here and I usually get them. According to NT's website the last one sent was June 2007!

*Pete* - post the contents will ya?

littlewaves
03-04-2008, 01:28 AM
here's the link to the online version of the Newtek Europe newsletter I got on Friday.
http://www.newtek-europe.com/newsletters/0802/uk/news.html

StereoMike
03-04-2008, 02:05 AM
I juat wanted to say that I find it good that they cling so well to LWCAD. It's being developed independently but is somehow tho part of the package (there's almost everytime a deal where you get it when you buy LW).
And it has great tools in it :)

mike

Lewis
03-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Damn, I just got another license 20 days ago and now LwCAD 2.5 is part of update/license (it didn't be 20 days ago) :( :(. That's what I call bad timing :( (my :)).

JBT27
03-04-2008, 02:22 AM
I juat wanted to say that I find it good that they cling so well to LWCAD. It's being developed independently but is somehow tho part of the package (there's almost everytime a deal where you get it when you buy LW).
And it has great tools in it :)

mike

Yep, it's very good that NT recognise the talent and sheer imagination of Viktor and use it as a selling point.....I don't know why they don't pay the guy a very decent salary and get him to flush-out and revamp all those old kludgy Modeler tools - he has to be one of the developers who can bring some fresh and serious development to Modeler.....well, I can dream can't I?.....:D

LW-CAD is one plugin I will always spend money on.

Julian.

Sil3
03-04-2008, 03:03 AM

Now thats a really really stupid NDA rule isnt it??

Anyone that buys LW can get into the Beta, so we ALL AUTOMATICALLY KNOW that everybody that Bought LW 9 can be a beta tester, they are not ONLY IF THEY CHOOSE NOT TOO.. so how can that stupid rule be part of a NDA beats me... who are the people that came up with this?? do they think for a second? seems not to be honest.. yeah im being harsh but it wasnt me that made that rule...