PDA

View Full Version : Record camera streams?

pshakers
02-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi.

We have a VT4 system that we stopped using 18 months ago because we were so over the delay it introduced when we used it in a live setting.

I can't remember but i thought that VT had the potential to record multiple video streams?? Is it possible to record say 3 cameras to seperate files at the same time?

Thanks!

Jim_C
02-19-2008, 07:02 PM
No.

UnCommonGrafx
02-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Ummm...

If you know the right people, yes.

Bobt
02-19-2008, 07:56 PM
You should look into an XtraChannel setup. Adds multiple ISO feeds you can
record. (though I dont use the VT card for that. )

>because we were so over the delay it introduced
How many frames were you out? I always heard you can reduce it to only
a few frames.

Bob

pshakers
02-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Ummm...

If you know the right people, yes.

Meaning???

pshakers
02-19-2008, 09:09 PM
You should look into an XtraChannel setup. Adds multiple ISO feeds you can
record. (though I dont use the VT card for that. )

>because we were so over the delay it introduced
How many frames were you out? I always heard you can reduce it to only
a few frames.

Bob

Is it possible to do this using a VT setup then (XtraChannel)?

As for delayed frames, there was definitely a noticeable delay between live and what was playing back to screen from VT. We were sold the system saying it would be "barely noticeable". Turns out some people have a different opinion of "barely noticeable".

Unfortunately, purchasing VT was one of the worst decisions we ever made. The retailer here in Melbourne Australia basically said it would do "everything", but it didn't do HALF the stuff we asked about. (like no delay, avi's that could be edited outside of VT etc).

Now it sits in a box doing nothing. I was hoping that if we could at least use it as a virtual recorder, we could get some use out of our wasted money.

Jim_C
02-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi pshakers,

Sorry about the mislead in the first post. Bobt's creation are what you want to look into.

like no delay, avi's that could be edited outside of VT

Have you checked here for tips that other successful VT users do to reduce delay? All digital equipment is going to create delay, but many owners have great success using it for live settings and projections. A lot of guys here willing to help, and al lot of subjects already discussed.

As for the avis useable outside of VT problem.. What avi do you need that VT can not produce? The VT can render to most codecs if installed on your system and many many avis.

Ask around, you might find the VT is a much MUCH more capable machine then you are currently believing. Better then letting it sit in a box. :)

Good Luck,
Jim

kltv
02-19-2008, 11:48 PM
You can record at least two out of the box. You can record the inputs selected on "Main In" and "Preview In" at that same time. You might be able to record the "Aux In" as well, I can't remember if that is in there as an option.

As others have said, you can easily record those in a format another editor can use. You can go straight to DV avi if you want. Pretty much anything can open that.

Kris

jsanfilippo
02-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I edit AVI's from VT all the time.... no issues. Record as Type 2 DV AVI.... dump straight to Vegas (or Final Cut Pro).

We use VT for live IMAG... I have reduced latency to within acceptable limits. I would *like* a bit less, but some is in my projectors too... not the VT.

Sounds like you need some help figuring your machine out. I understand being frustrated with your vendor, but this forum can be a huge resource.

UnCommonGrafx
02-20-2008, 07:52 PM
I would have to say that if you think you were sold a non-working piece of equipment... This forum could've helped you get over that feeling or to get it sold. It just ain't possible, though, that it was ever intended or designed to do even an in quotes everything.

Most that have serious delays (>6 frames) are going into imag or have a lot of pass-through in the way. Too many are using it with success to take your statement seriously.

Start up some correspondence with Bob; he can get you into the virtual recorder and then some. As well, you might post some of what wasn't working for you here on the forum with an eye toward getting some of this group to assist you in making use of your investment.

Folks would line up to share some info with you.

CreatvGnius
02-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Is it possible to do this using a VT setup then (XtraChannel)?

As for delayed frames, there was definitely a noticeable delay between live and what was playing back to screen from VT...Now it sits in a box doing nothing...

Strange, that someone led you to believe that digital signal processing doesn't necessitate some latency (delay). It would be interesting to hear just what you had VT connected to as
Input Sources
e.g., Any Firewire decks or cameras going to the switcher, perchance?
Output Devices
e.g., Any LCD displays, projectors not running in their native resolution, etc.?

Please provide details, as it would at first appear you may not have been given proper information, re: how to set up your system for optimal results.

In fact, NewTek's VT provides for very, very minimal latency under 1/10th of a second or thereabouts (usually under 3 frames), and I'm willing to bet a fuller disclosure of your system's particulars, as you had it set up then -- might reveal just where the fault lies, relative to your rank dissatisfaction.

You have, doubtless, far, far more power available to you in that VT, rather than a mere DDR. Any dealer worth his salt ought to have helped you, the customer, the proper guidance you deserve. :hammer:
-PeterG

IMPERIAL
03-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Now it sits in a box doing nothing.

Well...you could always donate it to ME!

Or.... as suggested try to elaborate the exact problem and you will have it working in no time.

jcupp
03-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Like PeterG says above the VT has a maximum latency of 3 frames. Genlock your cameras and it falls to 2 frames which is pretty much the theoretical minimum for a digital device.

Any delay beyond that is being caused by something else in your signal chain, probably your projectors. Line doublers add a couple of frames, scalers at least one, if the projector is an LCD that's one more...

Jim_C
03-06-2008, 04:27 PM
I believe PShakers has moved beyond the point of caring what the VT is actually capable of.

He's made up his mind, it sucks, and none of us will be able to change that.

Happens now and then.. hopefully I'm wrong here.

orrrr...... maybe he's been in touch with Bob and Blaine is finally realizing the power of the box.