PDA

View Full Version : Memory Usage Vs. RAM?

Giacomo99
02-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Hello-

I'm trying to render a large poster-sized image (with large texture maps.) When I try to do a full-size render, Lightwave gives me an "out of memory" error.

I've got 3GB of RAM installed right now. If I install more RAM, will it increase the likelihood that Lightwave can render the scene? (I read somewhere that OS 10.4 can only allot 2GB of RAM to any single application, in which case, putting in more RAM would not be helpful. Is this true?)

Please advise.

BigHache
02-19-2008, 09:10 PM
And this is with an F10 render?

RedBull
02-19-2008, 11:42 PM
You likely wouldn't get much advantage from 4Gb, I Believe OS 10.4 and G4 etc, were limited by the memory controller.

You are best trying to reduce the amount of memory that is being used.
Also increase the amount of segments, 1 segment is usually way to small for poster sized renders. (put it up to around 20)

Giacomo99
02-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Yes, this is with an F10 render.

Regarding the OS: If I upgrade to Leopard, will that allow LW to use more RAM? Please advise.

eblu
02-20-2008, 07:57 AM
segment the render.
this is an operator + Lightwave problem. more ram, and an upgrade to the system would have barely any impact on it.

Lightwave can't fit every thing it needs to do the LARGE render into memory. the solution is to cut it up before trying to swallow it.

open the render options panel
click on "segment memory limit"
in the resulting window lower the number thats there.
I think by default its 96, try cutting that in half.
accept the change and look at the text box below the "segment memory Limit" button. Thats where you see how many segments the render will take.
do a render test.
if it fails again, cut the segment memory again. as a rule of thumb, try not to go below 24 megs.

Giacomo99
02-20-2008, 09:25 AM
eblu- That worked! Thanks, that was very helpful.

Is there any documentation for "Segment Memory" anywhere? How exactly does it work? My instinct would be to increase it, rather than decrease it, to accomodate large renders and/or big texture maps, but apparently that's not the case.

(The Layout manual has no entry for it in the index. Doing a keyword search for "Segment Memory" in the PDF Layout manual returns nothing.)

Please advise.