PDA

View Full Version : Misty Mountains

Andyjaggy
02-19-2008, 12:36 PM
A misty mountain. I'm planning on adding some architecture to it eventually, but for now it's just a scenic vista.

Steamthrower
02-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Is this made partly with Vue?

Great look there. How'd you make your fog/clouds?

cagey5
02-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Very nice Andy :thumbsup:

Andyjaggy
02-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Yep. Vue. I should have stated that in the beginning.

OOZZEE
02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
nice but get rid of the one dead tree... I find it ruins it. you have lush greenery all around and one dead tree. doesnt do it for me. the rest is amazing. makes me want to fly a plane through there indiana jones style.

Andyjaggy
02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
thanks for the comment on the tree. I wasn't sure if it helped of not :)

gerry_g
02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't mind the tree for being dead but if you've ever looked at the Vue section of Renderosity at any length you'll know just how overused this stock Vue item is, still it's a great image

Steamthrower
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I do like that tree on top of the mountain in the background - not the foreground one though.

SteveH
02-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Andy

Nice Vue image! Did you bring the terrain into LW to render or is it all Vue? Really nicely designed web site you have as well.:thumbsup:

GregMalick
02-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Andy,

Great image. Please tell us more about how you made this.

And I agree - get rid of both dead trees. You don't need them.

Etch
02-19-2008, 10:31 PM
You guys are crazy, the foremost dead tree brings an interesting contrast to the scene as well as balance it. I think if that tree wasn't there you would need to replace it with something else to fill that space.

starbase1
02-20-2008, 06:36 AM
I like it a lot, I think it would make an excellent CD cover image.

Speedmonk42
02-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I like the tree.

Maybe you could hang a dead cat form it or something...

Stooch
02-26-2008, 03:28 PM
I love the tree, infact i think it should be more gnarly, like a big banzai, maybe weathered wood bleached by sun, to take some of the vuenss out of it and give it a nice splash of color (and a focal point) you need a good focal point anyway. Maybe move the tree closer to center and really pump it up color wise and spread it out with more detailed branches. maybe even look into some nice volumetric shadows through its branches :)

color scheme wise, i feel that the bottom half of the image could use more interesting contrast, so either the tree or maybe some mid/high color values in the foliage (how about a sparkling lake or a stream?), right now its kind of lacking something to guide the eye. if you know what i mean.

i think its a badass image already though.

Andyjaggy
02-26-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree, it needs a focal point. there is nothing telling your eye where it should be looking, this is why I initially put in the tree put I think your right, it needs more.

That said things will change when I get my castle modeled and ready to put into the scene. (however long that is going to end up taking.)

Stooch
02-26-2008, 03:36 PM
nice. i do like the dead cat idea too. but dont just stop at one! get into the christmass spirit and spice it up! mix it up with some calicos, orange tabbys and maybe a few white persians :) live a little!

(maybe work chuck norris somewhere in there as well, chopping some trees down with round house kicks off in the distance)

Steamthrower
02-26-2008, 03:44 PM
A castle...looking forward to it.

I like the tree a lot. I think that the texture needs to be pretty beaten up and cracked, however.

Andyjaggy
02-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Definitely needs some Chuck Norris.

I feel that a little Chuck Norris always puts the finishing touch on anything. Maybe CN roundhouse kicking the top of the mountain off with some lens flare behind him.

Stooch
02-26-2008, 04:13 PM
you know im not sure if you will see a lens flare off a CN round house, you see his leg accelerates at such velocity that it creates a tear in the fabric of space time and the light rays get trapped in the rippling folds of the dimensional membrane. But i guess for stylistic purposes you could cheat reality, afterall LW lens flares make everything better. :)

Andyjaggy
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
But you are forgetting one of the fundamental laws of physics. Whatever CN wills to happen will happen. So if CN want a lens flare behind his roundhouse kick then a lens flare will appear behind a CN kick whether the laws of physics bid it possible or not.

And since I hear that CN diggs lens flares, then one could fully expect such an improbable event to happen.

Andyjaggy
02-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Here is a quick render of the castle I am working on.

Steamthrower
02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Are you using LWCAD?

Andyjaggy
02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
No.

Steamthrower
02-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow. Good work on the details then!

Andyjaggy
02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
After spending 5 months modeling buildings from ancient Jerusalem I've developed a pretty good workflow for modeling this kind of stuff. In some ways I think LWCAD might slow me down (at least at first) I would still love to have it though, I just can't justify the $$$ right now.

3DGFXStudios
02-28-2008, 06:02 AM
I like the snowy mountain! how did you do the fog/clouds stuff?

Steamthrower
02-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Andy, for the ornamental scrollwork I'm assuming you just create an instance and clone it? Do you have any wires?

adrian
03-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Can you give any tips on how you created the mountains in Vue? Did you follow a tut?

The scene is nice and eery with a great sense of depth... although I agree about the dead tree. It needs to go as it is, but if you can add some more detail to it then it would look much better.