PDA

View Full Version : Wine improvements = Photoshop on Linux happens

mattclary
02-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Google software engineer Dan Kegel posted a message to the Wine mailing list last week describing some of the improvements to Wine that Google has sponsored in the past year. These improvements, says Kegel, have substantially improved Linux compatibility of several popular commercial software applications, including Adobe Photoshop and Dragon Naturally Speaking.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080219-google-intoxicates-linux-users-with-wine-improvements.html

Steamthrower
02-19-2008, 08:58 AM
When Linux supports every single peripheral, file format, application, etc., everything that Mac OSX or Vista does, I'll consider switching.

mattclary
02-19-2008, 09:33 AM
"The price of apathy towards software is to be ruled by evil corporations."

Matt

;)

Exception
02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
All I need is Photoshop, Lightwave and stuff to replace VDub, autocad and premiere.

Although I still find it hard to run Linux. It works fine for most things but when I installed ubuntu a few months back I still had some trouble auto-mounting my NTFS drives. Once you run into something like that, you ojust open a can of linux worms with support forums and all that.

More power to Wine... if it wasn't for the dongle, Lightwave would run on it too!

Lightwolf
02-19-2008, 12:04 PM
When Linux supports every single peripheral, file format, application, etc., everything that Mac OSX or Vista does, I'll consider switching.
Make up your mind, OSX or Vista? ;) (If you want to replace OSX that bar is a lot lower ;) ).

Cheers,
Mike

Steamthrower
02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I'll take OSX every day. I have a Mac sticker on the back of my car for a reason. ;)

Andyjaggy
02-19-2008, 12:58 PM
I used to have a mac sticker on my car. Then I became dis-enchanted. I wandered outside the mac bubble, rubbed my eyes and looked around and asked myself what in the world I was thinking. :D

Steamthrower
02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately I started noticing that the only people with Mac stickers were people driving minivans and old Volvos and deteriorating BMWs from two decades ago. So I started wondering what kind of crowd I was identifying myself with. But the sticker's still on there. I'm sure it'll look good as soon as I buy a Ferrari or Porsche (then thugs will think I own Apple stock or something...)

RedBull
02-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Photoshop CS2 has worked under Wine for a long time (initially using a hack)
but i let people know on the main linux thread quite some time ago....
So i don't know why this is news now..... :)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Photoshop-CS2-on-Your-Ubuntu-PC-77260.shtml

All the latest version of Linux also have read/write NTFS support out of the box.

Speedmonk42
02-19-2008, 07:30 PM
I'll take OSX every day. I have a Mac sticker on the back of my car for a reason. ;)

Yeah, I wanted stickers for my washing machine and power tools too, but I couldn't get any.

It's just a tool, and one you get ripped off for being obsessed with. Hopefully you are not, but...

Kingston RAM at Mac Store $290, same piece $58 at PC store across the street.

They will never ever get my money. They are liars and cheats.

Puguglybonehead
02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
If somebody can get WINE to recognize the dongle, I'll switch to Linux immediately. Tried a few flavors of Linux 4 years ago. Loved the speed and cleanliness of the UIs I tested, but not being able to use any of my software (LW, C4D, Photoshop) was a real turn-off.

I'll stick with OSX for now.

Steamthrower
02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
It's just a tool, and one you get ripped off for being obsessed with. Hopefully you are not, but...

They will never ever get my money. They are liars and cheats.
Well. That's all very well to say that, but $232 more doesn't make much difference when you're using computers as your primary source of income.

I've always held that different OS'es are for different people. Windows works well for most people (that's why it's so prevalent). Linux works for sysadmins and nerdy types and people who enjoy getting stuff for free. Mac works for the most creative and non-technical type who do stuff with audio or video or graphics.

And I wouldn't say that charging a premium for proprietary stuff is a "cheat". I charge more for my work than the majority of other people, yet I've never heard a complaint. People expect that when they pay me $2,400 for a small website, they're gonna get a heck of a good website. Either they use my services or they go somewhere else. Simple as that.

Exception
02-19-2008, 07:55 PM
All the latest version of Linux also have read/write NTFS support out of the box.

Sure, but having the volumes be mounted is another issues, and having them be mounted on start up seemed to be a big problem (as in, it was supposed to work, but didn't kind of thing).
Then again, that's just peanuts and was probably not that hard to solve.

I've always held that different OS'es are for different people. Windows works well for most people (that's why it's so prevalent). Linux works for sysadmins and nerdy types and people who enjoy getting stuff for free. Mac works for the most creative and non-technical type who do stuff with audio or video or graphics.

Err, except for architects....
Or Video-Post guys....
Or game developers....
Or Arch-vizers (most)...
Or Motion Graphics people...
etc.

I like macs, but there's only a few professional fields they can be used in, and not all creative fields at all. Basically just Photographers, graphic and webdesigners, and anyone wanting to check their email in a sleek way.

Steamthrower
02-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Err, except for architects....
Or Video-Post guys....
Or game developers....
Or Arch-vizers (most)...
Or Motion Graphics people...
etc.

1. Right, Autodesk + Mac = no go.
2. Um...Combustion and FCP and Shake, anybody?
3. Right on, no Direct X or .NET crap, unfortunately.
4. You had a qualifier there...probably based on that AutoCad doesn't work on Mac...I'll leave it there...
5. Motion? After Effects?

Exception
02-19-2008, 08:12 PM
1. Right, Autodesk + Mac = no go.

M$ probably pays them big bucks for that.
Anyway, you're missing my point... I really like macs. I don't care that they're more expensive.. they're also really well built and a lot of attention and resources went into developing a nice interface and not bing such scummbags as M$ or Autodesk are. However, for a lot of things you don't really have an alternative.
I'd rather work on Linux... but no can do that either.

It's not just autodesk products (which is now half the building industry (that's more than just architects), it's also mediative stuff and small tools and applications which belong to idiosyncratic user pipelines, which have all been built around windows.
Anyway, I think Vectorworks is better than Autocad anyway, but you tell that to the industry. They don't buy what's best, they buy what they already know, and there's something to be said about cost of re-education.

yaddaydayya here I go jabbering on.
It's a sad issue. Anyway, I commend you for using a mac. As long as you keep iTunes far away from me, I like most of what they do.

Exception
02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Slightly related, but funny, so okay :)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/28900/ipod_flea/

toby
02-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Slightly related, but funny, so okay :)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/28900/ipod_flea/
bwahaha!

mattclary
02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I wanted stickers for my washing machine and

Or, $22 at newegg.com

mattclary
02-20-2008, 01:00 PM
M$ probably pays them big bucks for that.

I doubt that. Most engineering and architectural firms are probably heavily ensconced in PCs and Autodesk saw it as a limited field. The software company I work for had a Mac client that they dropped back in the late 90s for that reason. Not enough customers to justify the development of the product.