PDA

View Full Version : Another Mars Muse

TripD
02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I know.... I know. It's already been seen by eveyone and his mother, and the conspiracy theories are enough to bring back a season of Xfiles, but....

Given that this is a natural phenomena: Doesn't the rarity of such a formation without any other considerations make this a prime target for closer investigation? I am quite taken by the horizontal looking protrusion (You know... the one that might look like an extended arm :screwy: )

Looking at all the pics on Mars to date suggests that erosion has taken it's toll on the surface big time. Sooooo... is this protrusion made up of tougher stuff than the rest of the exposed minerals? Then, why the heck isn't that rascally little rover not hot footing it over for a closer peek?

SplineGod
02-19-2008, 12:37 AM
I can see a ton of stuff in that picture that apparently hasnt eroded as much as the rest of the sand. There are rock outcroppings, boulders and whatnot thats sticking out as well.

meshpig
02-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Because there's nothing worth looking at there scientifically.

- The theory that "intelligent" life ever existed on Mars is simple to dismiss;

-ie. where are all their necessary evolutionary predecessors?

Evolution doesn't jump from single cell amoeba to Pyramid builders to interstellar space travel in less time than it took to get seaweed here on Earth!

Unless they ate rocks?

m

meshpig
02-19-2008, 02:00 AM
I mean there are more interesting things afoot like exploding deep craters on the dark side of the moon and viewing the plume in the ultraviolet to look for oxygen and frozen water.

- Isn't that sort of erosion mainly wind rather than water?

What I want to see is Hubble v2!

m:)

starbase1
02-19-2008, 05:24 AM
Ooh yes, one in a million chance of a rock like that being formed naturally!
:devil:
And just how many million rocks have they photographed on Mars? Guess that explains it!
:D

eagleeyed
02-19-2008, 05:47 AM
I have seen this picture before somewhere, think it was on www.ninemsn.com.au.

My views on it not being a life form, and as said, just a simple rock that has been eroded naturally.

I think it is photo-manipulation though. Reasoning = there is a lighter coloured rock, right next to it, that amazingly, or by pure coincidence matches up exactly with the edges of the supposed lifeform. If you look closely there does not even seem to be any visable difference between it's clothes and the rock, except the clothes are darker, if they were made to match the colour of the rocks, I think they would match in perfectly again.

Second thing is, if it really was right on the edge of the rock, I highly doubt that the rock would be perfectly straight on the edges, as this one right next to the 'lifeform' appears to be. All the other rocks dont have perfect edges, but this one does. hmmm

SplineGod
02-21-2008, 01:42 PM
I think it rates right up there with such notables as this:
http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/RootWeb/VirginMaryCheese.htm
or a hoax perpetrated by Martians to fool us.

Steamthrower
02-21-2008, 01:53 PM
http://www.klardesign.com/files/absquatch.jpg

Iain
02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
If Mars gravity is approx 38% that of ours you would also have to speculate that the (cold-blooded) alien in that photo would have to weigh about a ton to be struggling to keep himself upright like he is on such a slope.

Iain
02-21-2008, 02:01 PM
I think it rates right up there with such notables as this:
http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/RootWeb/VirginMaryCheese.htm
or a hoax perpetrated by Martians to fool us.

And don't forget this one............

Ark_of_Kaos
02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Daz Studio strikes again.

voriax
02-21-2008, 04:38 PM
I figured it out!

jin choung
02-21-2008, 08:05 PM
EXACTLY what i was thinking!

jin

mbdavison
03-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Hello:
If you look at the supposed "Figure" in the image, not directly, but scanning the negative space around it- then think of the shape as a shadow instead of a "positive" shape, you will see that it is really a broken off 'face' of a sand coated rock whose top curve doesnt have a clear highlight along its edge. The broken edge just coincidentaly is shaped like the 'Patterson Bigfoot Shot- Lol! And somewhere behind that break in the rock face is another fold shadow that just lines up roughly where our minds would expect an arm to be thrusting out. The miracle is of how our perceptions will put together disparate pieces of visual data like this and actually find VALID information -and still be able to have fun with light weight stuff like this.
This is why we can sit in a darkened room and watch 24 still images in a second and willingly suspend our disbelief so that we can feel we are seeing something REAL! One of the things that make me actually enjoy being human! Heheheh.
Cheers, M.

SplineGod
03-05-2008, 01:38 AM
You realize that this is precisely what the martians want you to think :)

starbase1
03-05-2008, 11:41 AM
You realize that this is precisely what the martians want you to think :)

Argh! Those evil genii!

Rumour has it that their technology is SO advanced, they are already on the Lightwave 9.5 beta program!

Nick

Steamthrower
03-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Actually they went forward in time and grabbed the Lightwave v18.5 beta. Complete with U-Imagine USB brain port functionality.

mattclary
03-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Looks more like this too me. And the context is right.