PDA

View Full Version : Teh ol' worm on a bone chain trick - but using nodes?

stib
02-18-2008, 08:46 PM
I want to use the old worm on a chain of bones trick (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/property_web.mov) where you pull an object along a chain of bones usign a morph. But I want to make the morph controlled by a gradient, so that the morph affects one end of the object before the other. This is because I've got a morph where all the polygons are scattered like an explosion and I want them to reform. Now I can do the gradient control bit with a gradient node and a morph vertex map node - but it doesn't work with the bones!

I thought another way around it might be just to move the object and add an image to control the morph, and have the image use world coordinates. I used a blurry circle which was black in the middle and white in the outside with the idea that as the parts of the object approached the middle they would come back to the base morph. But the "world coordinates" don't work. The effect of the image map moves with the object.

Anyone have any ideas?

stib
02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
here's a pic of the morph.

I was originally trying to do it with dynamics, but it totally killed the workflow to have to spend half an hour calculating every time I tweaked something. So this is like a cheap - n cheerful hard body simulation.

SplineGod
02-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Ive used that technique to do a lot of effects like this for example:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/morph_text.mov

stib
02-19-2008, 04:14 AM
I made a little Lscript to do the exploding morphs. It scatters polygons without deforming them. Available here (http://pureandapplied.com.au/lscripts.html)

Yes, it's a useful technique, but rather than just scattering, I wanted the pieces to swoosh past the camera. I could do it with hard fx and an animation path wind, but it just took forever to set each title up, with calculating the dynamics and all. So I thought I'd use the bone chain trick, only to be thwarted by yet another good, but not quite complete LW feature. :mad: