PDA

View Full Version : font not working correctly with text tool

stav_13
02-18-2008, 05:18 AM
hi,

i am using a font called sidewalk.ttf (http://www.spiderwebprojects.com/sidewalk.ttf)and if I type anything with it, within lightwave it does not work correctly yet if i use MAYA it works perfectly fine. im not sure what else i can go into detail with but if anyone can give me some hints on how to make it work correctly would be great!

Stav

UnCommonGrafx
02-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Show us the font.

Aside from that, if it works in Maya and you want it in lw then export it as an obj and move on. No need wondering why when you can get on with your work.

stav_13
02-18-2008, 06:07 AM
well i create it in maya with curves, then export it from maya, import it into lightwave and nothing appears. the in my last reply there is a link to the font.

thanks

Stav

UnCommonGrafx
02-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Again, I say, export it as an obj which would have tris or quads. What you suggest won't work.

Surely in maya you can make this a polygonal object to be exported as a "proper" obj file?

And the reason it works in Maya is because it isn't a polygonal but a mathematical representation of the text, i.e., curves.
Can you render that font like that? Just curious.

stav_13
02-18-2008, 09:11 AM
ah sorry, didnt know that lightwave wouldnt pick up curves! made the text in tri polys and exported and lightwave picks it up fine now, strange that lightwave didnt like the font :thumbsdow

thanks for the advice!!

Stav

UnCommonGrafx
02-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Nah, not strange; par for the course. Glad it worked for you.
If the font is a difficult one, e.g., a script-y one, then the route you took probably is cleaner than if you had done it in LW.

You do know you could've done it in LW, right? In modeler... You may want to try it that way, too, for comparison sake.

Von Polygon
02-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Is that the font by any chance: http://www.dafont.com/sidewalk.font ? If yes, then that's the problem - way too detailed.

UnCommonGrafx
02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
But his point might still be valid: modeler can't handle such detail the way other apps do.
He says he was finally able to get it out of maya such that maya didn't have issues with the detail.

OOZZEE
02-21-2008, 11:46 AM
my experiencei sLW has trouble with funky FONTS even if done in another APP and exported as OBJ, it comes in messed up.....

zapper1998
02-21-2008, 03:31 PM
this font