PDA

View Full Version : Newtek Marketing: Where are you??!!!!

G-Man
02-17-2008, 11:47 AM
I was excited last year when Lightwave seemed to have a marketing resurgence. The updated website with in depth stories on 300, 24 etc. There seemed to be a lot of marketing steam. It seems as though all that has stopped. Why isn't Newtek calling attention to the hot new Terminator series on Fox who used Lightwave exclusively? Where was the coverage during the hype of Halo that Lightwave was used for the mini short halo movies by Oragami Digital? The hot new trailer from The Box for the new Turok game? How about the Tiberium trailer by EdenFX?

It just feels like the engine has stopped. Hopefully Newtek is gearing up something big.

Steamthrower
02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Also I noticed that the ads in the last two issues of Cinefex have stopped.

Wickster
02-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Though they have advertised heavily on "Computer Graphics World" Magazine lately, the current issue has not one but two full page ads for LightWave. The ads were the "Maximum Speed. Zero Drag" and the "FAST. Right out of the box" ad themes.

They're there, so maybe there is something coming very soon. I hope. :D

IMI
02-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Maximum Speed. Zero Drag

I had this dream about LW once too. :D

prospector
02-17-2008, 05:05 PM
"Maximum Speed. Zero Drag" and the "FAST. Right out of the box"

Hmmmmm
Dynamics anyone???:hey:

CreatvGnius
02-17-2008, 08:36 PM
I was excited last year when Lightwave seemed to have a marketing resurgence. The updated website with in depth stories on 300, 24 etc. There seemed to be a lot of marketing steam. It seems as though all that has stopped. Why isn't Newtek calling attention to the hot new Terminator series on Fox who used Lightwave exclusively? Where was the coverage during the hype of Halo that Lightwave was used for the mini short halo movies by Oragami Digital? The hot new trailer from The Box for the new Turok game? How about the Tiberium trailer by EdenFX?

It just feels like the engine has stopped. Hopefully Newtek is gearing up something big.
If I were you, I'd send some appropriate party there a strategically-placed message politely voicing your passionate concerns as above -- via "Private" message via this forum. They might have some assuring feedback to whet your appetite, G-Man!
-PeterG:thumbsup:

pooby
02-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Prospector,
I associate you with, dynamics problems, just from reading your posts and I think you'd have a much better time if you just get the whole dynamic thing sorted.
Why don't you bite the bullet and do your dynamics elsewhere and import them back in?
Have you tried the free and excellent XSI mod tool for example which has a comprehensive set of dynamics which can be imported back to LW easily?
Or even Impact for LW?
The only reasons I can see not to are either economics or an illogical sense of loyalty to something which obviously isnt up to the job in that area.

prospector
02-18-2008, 03:21 AM
illogical sense of loyalty to something which obviously isnt up to the job in that area.
It just has to be the right combinations of buttons and numbers.
I'm POSITIVE LW can do it

At least 90% :)

Have you tried the free and excellent XSI mod tool
No, but haven't heard of it really. Just passing chat.

prospector
02-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Looking at it's website, looks for just games.

pooby
02-18-2008, 03:44 AM
No way.. I set this up in about 15 mins. and getting it back to LW is a cinch)
It is basically XSI essentials. but with a different file format. It has cloth, rigid bodies and soft bodies.. (but you mustn't use it commercially)

Apologies for going off topic, 'yeah Newtek COULD do more in marketing' etc

pooby
02-18-2008, 03:53 AM
and this shows setting a sim and getting a sim back to LW

drfoley
02-18-2008, 11:44 AM
why can't you use it commercially?

Oh and it has cloth too that you can bring back into LW?

If so, how would you export and import clothes and capes and such?

Thanks,

Dr Foley

hrgiger
02-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I wasn't aware there was a free XSI mod tool. Interesting.

geothefaust
02-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Yep, it's totally free. Been using it for a while.

You can't use it commercially, because it's against the EULA. If you could use it commercially, Then there would be no reason to buy XSI and in turn, they wouldn't make any money.

It's geared toward XBLive games, and I would venture to say as a personal learning edition, or a demo of sorts even.

pooby
02-18-2008, 12:41 PM
"If so, how would you export and import clothes and capes and such?"

mdd files.. Its no different calculating cloth in XSI than it is in LW, (apart from the fact it works really well) both bake to the mdd format.

pooby
02-18-2008, 12:48 PM
It's geared toward XBLive games, and I would venture to say as a personal learning edition, or a demo of sorts even.

Its basically XSI Essentials without syflex (but keeping XSI cloth). If you change the menu preference to pro, then it looks and acts exactly the same. It has all the rigging animation, simulation and stuff..
It's not a cut down version and there is no save disabling or any of that.
The ONLY restriction is that you cant export geometry over a certain number of vertices (but the amount is pretty huge) The other restriction is on rendering, but that's irrelevant if you're using it like this.

colkai
02-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I think the geometry for the XSI Mod Tool is a 50K limit, so decent, but not "massive".
Of course, one can always export it in sections needs must. ;)

pooby
02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I said 'Huge' which is much smaller than 'massive' :)

But that amount is for the unsubdivided cage, so it's more than adequate for most characters.

hrgiger
02-18-2008, 02:15 PM
I know the XSI website, but do you have the link specifically for the mod version? I've been considering XSI for a while but didn't know about this version...

hrgiger
02-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Ah nevermind it, I found it. God bless google, if I belived in that sort of thing (the blessing, not google). I already have Syflex for Lightwave so no need for XSI Syflex.

geothefaust
02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Its basically XSI Essentials without syflex (but keeping XSI cloth). If you change the menu preference to pro, then it looks and acts exactly the same. It has all the rigging animation, simulation and stuff..
It's not a cut down version and there is no save disabling or any of that.
The ONLY restriction is that you cant export geometry over a certain number of vertices (but the amount is pretty huge) The other restriction is on rendering, but that's irrelevant if you're using it like this.

True to that. I should have clarified that in my post. :)

hrgiger
02-18-2008, 03:33 PM
If you change the menu preference to pro, then it looks and acts exactly the same.

where do I find the menu preference?

pooby
02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm not at my work machine at the mo, but If you go through the menus at the top, you'll probably find it. It may be called 'XSI default'
Look at anything that has 'view' or 'layouts' or anything like that.
Sorry, I know that's not that helpful!
Hopefully someone else can help. otherwise, ask in the Xsi section of CG talk, or XSIbase.com . The answer has probably been posted there already

Also, these videos are pretty much a comprehensive set of training for XSI

http://www.vast.ws/resources/xsi/tutorials/tutorials.html

they are the official production set that cost quite a bit a while back but are now free.

IMI
02-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Man, am I glad I got involved in THIS thread and had email reply turned on!
I never heard of this XSI mod tool before. Haven't had any time to check it out yet, and probably can't really for a couple more weeks, but it looks pretty cool.
And you can make models and animations for Half-Life 2 with it? Learning Hammer and HL-2 modding has been on my to-do list for a while, but this looks somewhat better.
Thanks for bringing this up, pooby, and also for the video links. Awesome! :)

hrgiger
02-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm not at my work machine at the mo, but If you go through the menus at the top, you'll probably find it. It may be called 'XSI default'
Look at anything that has 'view' or 'layouts' or anything like that.
Sorry, I know that's not that helpful!
Hopefully someone else can help. otherwise, ask in the Xsi section of CG talk, or XSIbase.com . The answer has probably been posted there already

No problem. I think I have it set there already but post again when you do get to your work machine to make sure it's not somewhere else. EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure I have it set to pro. I can't seem to find it anywhere by poking around the menus. Anyone that can answer that one for me, that would be awesome.

Also, these videos are pretty much a comprehensive set of training for XSI

http://www.vast.ws/resources/xsi/tutorials/tutorials.html

they are the official production set that cost quite a bit a while back but are now free.

Thanks Pooby, that's awesome. Looks like I'll be busy for a while!

IMI
02-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Is this what you're looking for?

hrgiger
02-18-2008, 06:34 PM
It is. But my installation does not have the modes dropdown?

IMI
02-19-2008, 03:25 AM
That's strange. I didn't do anything special, so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe there's a configuration file somewhere or something.
I barely just had time to install it and give it a quick look over, watched the half-life tutorial while I was eating dinner.
I can't seem to find anything about it in the help files about it. Looks like you are in pro mode anyway, based on what I'm seeing from your screenshot.
Did you allow it to do all the automatic updating when you installed? The first time I opened it it downloaded an update then had to be restrted. It did that three times, plus there's a "check for updates" in the Help menu. Might give that a try if you haven't already.
Otherwise, I have no idea.

colkai
02-19-2008, 03:41 AM
I said 'Huge' which is much smaller than 'massive' :)

But that amount is for the unsubdivided cage, so it's more than adequate for most characters.
Oh for sure, I wasn't trying to undermine your statement in any way, just pointing out that if folks were thinking of using it for hardbody stuff / dynamics, to bear in mind the limit.
Here's a thought, could you output lower res stuff from XSI then use hardlink to tie it to higher res stuff in LW?

colkai
02-19-2008, 03:43 AM
There was an earlier version which didn't have the hard bodies, but as far as i know, it always had the menu option for switching to pro mode.

IMI
02-19-2008, 03:52 AM
hrgiger, there's some configuration stuff in
"Drive letter:\Users\username\Softimage\XSI_6 Mod Tool" -in Vista, that is. I suppose that would be in Documents and Settings in XP/2000.
What you might want to look at is in the "\Softimage\XSI_6 Mod Tool\Application\layouts" folder, wher it seems to have the info for the interface. The files can be opened with Notepad. maybe they can be edited or deleted and rewritten like LW's cfg files, but I have no idea.

hrgiger
02-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Ok, I uninstalled and reinstalled and now the Mode menu is there. My question now is, I thought changing it to pro mode would make it look like XSI essentials, but where are the menus like the ones shown in the videos that Pooby provided a link for. Model? Constrain. Is there a configuration for that too? I just would like to have it setup so I can follow those tutorials.

pooby
02-19-2008, 04:24 AM
This is what it should look like..

IMI
02-19-2008, 08:56 PM
I have to say, that camera headlight thing is an excellent idea. Every 3D app ought to have that. :)

prospector
03-15-2008, 08:04 AM
To my chigrin...no 2 point poly exchange :thumbsdow
drats!!!