PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Maya pipeline

opteron71
02-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Is there a way i can share fully textured or even rigged models with my friend who uses Maya 8.... i'm using LW 8.5 and LW 9 if so..i'm sure studios do this i just haven't found the answer yet.. pls help.???

prospector
02-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Export as FBX?

Stooch
02-17-2008, 12:50 PM
short answer is no. best you can do is export MDD. otherwise there is no real analog to getting your rig out to maya fully intact and deforming exactly the same way. you may get the bones out, the weight maps, but not any of the expressions that are crucial for a rig. the best bet is to just animate in maya to begin with and render in LW via mdd.

As far as textured models, you CAN get textured models out of LW however if you are using lws projection textures instead of UVs then you will have to create real uvs and bake to UV via lighwaves texture baking camera. Otherwise you will have to recreate the projection nodes in maya, which is a giant PITA and will most likely not look exactly the same in the end.

opteron71
02-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Ok i'll settle for textured models so whats the BEST way to get the textured model to AND from Maya..??

parm
02-19-2008, 11:27 AM
You could bake your textures using the surface baker camera. And then export as a .obj, which includes the UV map for the baked texture.