PDA

View Full Version : Help with Curving text

roydee
02-17-2008, 12:40 AM
:help:
Hi, Iam doing a small project which requires me to curve text around a round object - Could someone give me a quick run down on how this is done please. I know this may sound like a basic issue but I'm rather new to LW. Thanks heaps

Dexter2999
02-17-2008, 07:11 AM
You might try the BEND tool. (SHIFT +"~")

Also, some things to keep in mind when you use this tool. It often works better when you have more polygons. (More polygons means more points where it can bend the letters so you dont have straight letters bent in a curve which can sometimes look odd)
The bend function will have a different effect when you use it in the top, back, or side views.

Hope this helps.

safetyman
02-17-2008, 07:19 AM
You could also use the Spline Guide tool which is very effective with text. It can use a background curve to shape your text or you can use it with just the guides. Like Dexter said, use more polys to help with shaping.

roydee
02-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the tips... Just a couple of Q's to clarify
1) Is there a tool called the "SPLINE GUIDE" tool? I can only find "SPLINE DRAW" and "SPLINE CAGE".
2) I tried the bend tool after adding more ploys to each text letter but I cannot get it to curve uniformly around the circle. I can get it to curve 3 dimensionally around say a globe but I cannot seem to get it to uniformaly curve around the face of a coin. Obviously I am not doing it right.
3) Is there a PLUG-In that could make this task easier?
Thanks Heaps

Silkrooster
02-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Yes there is definately a spline guide tool. Its at Modify>Transform>More>Spline Guide.

Intro to Bend tool
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/Bend.mov

Interactive List of Williams tutorials
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html

Sorry I couldn't find the tutorial on the spline guide. I am all most positive William did one on that as well.
Silk

Otterman
02-18-2008, 09:21 AM
you can also create a sphere-paste your text infront of it and use sphereise-quick and dirty way of doing it.

roydee
02-18-2008, 01:45 PM
:help: Hi All.. Thanks for the tips but after spending several hours on it I cannot get what I want. I've used bend, Spline guide etc. Both these tools distort the text out of proportion and I cannot get it to wrap around uniformly. Obviously I am missing something which would be pretty basic for experienced users of LW. As I said in my OP I want to be able to wrap test around a border of circle as per the attached basic model. The text would need to around say a quarter of the top part of the circle in some instances, half way around in some and the whole way around in some. Appreciate if all you good people would give me some help in this regard. Thanks heaps.

Dexter2999
02-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, I downloaded your circle.
I typed in some text.
I raised the text to be level with the top of the circle.
I used the bend tool in the right hand view and pulled straight down until the arc of the text appeared to match the arc of the circle.
I rotated the text from the center point.
I extruded the text.

and this is what resulted.

I didn't even add any additional polygons.

pdrake
02-18-2008, 04:24 PM
use illustrator?

roydee
02-19-2008, 03:44 AM
Hi Dexter.... That was brilliant.. It worked a treat and to think that I spent hours on it prior to your post. I must say though that it is not a straight task as it does need some tweaking to ensure that it lines up correctly. I found that I had to apply BEND in equal amounts on both the left and right views. In that way I find that I do not need to rotate and it only needs a MOVE to maintain the alignment. Does that sound correct? I am also a bit unsure of how to "rotate the text from the center point". Thanks heaps to all who responded.

roydee
03-01-2008, 06:32 PM
:question: Hi all, After playing around with the BEND tool for a while and the fact that I need to use BEND quite a lot to get text to arch across the top of a sphere. See examples in previous posts in this thread. I am starting to think that maybe.. just maybe... that there would be a PLUG-in to do this more easily and faster. AT the moment I spend a lot of time using BEND in the left and right views to get the text to not only arch by the correct amount but also to get it to align correclty. Does anyone know whether there is such a PLUG-IN around?? It would certainly speed up my workflow considerably.... thanks heaps.:question: :

Dexter2999
03-01-2008, 07:05 PM
roydee-
pdrake has a point when suggesting Illustrator. You can plot a curve and type text that will auto conform to the curve. You can then import the finished product as an Illustator 8 EPS.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/splineguide/index.html
Is a text tutorial of the Spline Guide Tool. It is demonstrated on basic geometric shapes but it that is all the text is when you think about it.

Good Luck

Silkrooster
03-01-2008, 08:47 PM
:question: Hi all, After playing around with the BEND tool for a while and the fact that I need to use BEND quite a lot to get text to arch across the top of a sphere. See examples in previous posts in this thread. I am starting to think that maybe.. just maybe... that there would be a PLUG-in to do this more easily and faster. AT the moment I spend a lot of time using BEND in the left and right views to get the text to not only arch by the correct amount but also to get it to align correclty. Does anyone know whether there is such a PLUG-IN around?? It would certainly speed up my workflow considerably.... thanks heaps.:question: :
Have you tried using the bend tool with the numeric panel open. It may make it easier for you to create the bends.
Just a thought,
Silk

Silkrooster
03-01-2008, 08:50 PM
roydee-
pdrake has a point when suggesting Illustrator. You can plot a curve and type text that will auto conform to the curve. You can then import the finished product as an Illustator 8 EPS.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/splineguide/index.html
Is a text tutorial of the Spline Guide Tool. It is demonstrated on basic geometric shapes but it that is all the text is when you think about it.

Good Luck
I have to agree Illustrator is a very quick and easy way to create curved text assuming you want it created the way illustrator does it. In illustrator the letters rotates rather than bends like in lw.
Silk