PDA

View Full Version : UB or PPC

OneShot
02-16-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm using a G5 2.5Ghz Dual LC single core PPC W/10.4.11. Should I install the PPC or the UB of Lightwave 9.3.X? :question:

Scazzino
02-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Both... for now anyway...

The UB has some issues and not many third-party plugins yet. The PPC version works with all existing Mac plugins and works OK... You can also use them both. The UB renders much faster on Intel, but is probably similar to the PPC for speed on a G5. You can also work in the PPC version and then render in the UB if you find it renders faster and you don't need many third-party plugins.

I'd install them both and give them both a shot, and see which works best for what you need to do. They both use separate config files and don't interfere with each other. I'm using them both myself. I'm primarily using the PPC version when I need to use FPrime. I'm then using the UB for some rendering, especially on the Intel Mac Pro...

:D

Puguglybonehead
02-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Actually, the UB renders much faster on my G4 Mini than the PPC version does. Definitely use both versions as both have their advantages (for now).

kfinla
02-17-2008, 10:11 AM
I have a similar question... I'm still running LW 9.2 PPC.. only I belive.. so I am able to use my Worley plugins... LW 9.3 + is UB.. right.. there is a PPC version? or way to run it in PPC mode so I am able to use my worley plugins still?

Giacomo99
02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm using a G5 2.5Ghz Dual LC single core PPC W/10.4.11. Should I install the PPC or the UB of Lightwave 9.3.X? :question:

As it happens, I'm using the exact same setup. I've been using the PPC version of 9.3.1 since its release with no problems. I installed the UB version last week and it's unbelievably buggy--Layout freezes for a full minute before quitting, Hub doesn't work, and on and on. You can try if you want, but my experience was that the UB's basically unusable on my dual G5.

meshpig
02-20-2008, 01:24 AM
I have a similar question... I'm still running LW 9.2 PPC.. only I belive.. so I am able to use my Worley plugins... LW 9.3 + is UB.. right.. there is a PPC version? or way to run it in PPC mode so I am able to use my worley plugins still?

The plugs won't work on UB 9.3.1 (intel or ppc) but no reason not to download it anyway, they work on 9.2.

m

gatz
02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Any bets on whether the PPC version makes it to 9.5?

Scazzino
02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Actually, the UB renders much faster on my G4 Mini than the PPC version does.

It may also depend upon the scene too. In a recent test I did on a DP G5 the PPC version was actually slightly faster than the UB version on that machine. Not enough to avoid the UB on that machine, but I just wouldn't expect a huge speedup just by switching from the PPC to the UB version on older hardware for all scenes, that's all... no reason not to test both versions on older hardware though...

Now on the Mac Intel's the UB renders MUCH faster than the PPC version of course...

OneShot
02-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks guys!

Puguglybonehead
02-20-2008, 06:05 PM
I was testing a scene with a small cityscape, and a spaceship flyby. Moving ship, panning camera, jittered movement, DOF, and photoreal MB. The UB rendered in slightly over half the time of the PPC version, while using Final Gather (and the PPC render only used raytracing). I was mighty surprised.

One thing, the UB tends to turn on 'render lines' by default. Unchecking it made for a speed improvement.

OneShot
02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I was testing a scene with a small cityscape, and a spaceship flyby. Moving ship, panning camera, jittered movement, DOF, and photoreal MB. The UB rendered in slightly over half the time of the PPC version, while using Final Gather (and the PPC render only used raytracing). I was mighty surprised.

One thing, the UB tends to turn on 'render lines' by default. Unchecking it made for a speed improvement.
Yeah but what OS and CPU are you using?

StOuen
02-25-2008, 04:33 AM
I am on a MacPro - Quad-Core Intel Xeon and after a firmware update, the UB version would not open at all even after re-installing. I am now running PPC Lightwave 9.3.1 and loads up ok but very buggy and got UI selection problems and no plugins will load. Contacted NewTek last week but no response yet.

Puguglybonehead
02-25-2008, 05:34 AM
Yeah but what OS and CPU are you using?

OS 10.4.11, G4 1.25 Mhz (please don't laugh, just too poor for a new one at the moment)

Puguglybonehead
02-25-2008, 05:48 AM
Oops...1.25 Ghz (need more coffee)

Darth Mole
02-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Any bets on whether the PPC version makes it to 9.5?

It has to. As far as I'm concerend UB is nowhere near ready for prime time. Bugs, weirdnesses, not enough plug-ins etc etc.

I believe NT must work towards the UB being the sole Mac version by LW 10, but not before. They still have a long way to go - but I'd like to see how much the UB 9.5 has changed.

Giacomo99
02-25-2008, 07:31 AM

OT, but I was wondering about that: what exactly does the "render lines" checkbox do?

Lightwolf
02-25-2008, 07:44 AM
OT, but I was wondering about that: what exactly does the "render lines" checkbox do?
It renders two point and single line polygons. Something that the Classic camera does by default. For a pure raytracer (like all other cameras) this is a lot more difficult to do and costs time, this the option to turn it off.

Cheers,
Mike

Iaian7
03-04-2008, 09:51 AM
It has to. As far as I'm concerend UB is nowhere near ready for prime time. Bugs, weirdnesses, not enough plug-ins etc etc.

I believe NT must work towards the UB being the sole Mac version by LW 10, but not before. They still have a long way to go - but I'd like to see how much the UB 9.5 has changed.

:agree: I currently use the PPC [CFM] version of Lightwave for the sole fact that I can copy and paste texture nodes reliably. In UB, it starts duplicating geometry every time I paste, no matter what window has focus. Other errors, bugs, and crashes seem common, and I've simply given up on 9.2 or 9.3. Hopefully the upcoming open beta will help - I'll be working on a brand new Octomac, and plan on testing 9.5 UB every spare second I can scrounge up.

Making LWX solely UB should, I think, come with the advantage of an app that actually feels like it's mac based... while I like the current LW interface (simple and intuitive) it's certainly no mac-caliber working environment - yet. :D I'm trusting Chilton and the rest to work their magic; 9.x improvements will be (and have been!) great, but LWX should really showcase a next-gen app.