PDA

View Full Version : LW on aluminum iMac

Johnny
02-16-2008, 11:44 AM
speaking as a Lightwave artist who used to have two Dual 2Ghz G5's with 2.5 GB of RAM each back when that was a pretty hot rig on the Mac side, I know that faster is always better in the world of whippin' out the pitchers...

However, my budget these days is closer to the price of an aluminum iMac. Now, obviously, a new 8-core Mac Pro with 32 GB of RAM is going to spank the iMac silly, but would I be deliriously out of contention if my main machine were the aluminum iMac?

I know there are artists out there who've at times used older gear, older versions of their software...artists who have great reputation and a solid business, but are things tipping more in favor of those who have the latest/fastest? IOW, if you do not have THE latest fastest rig, clients might pass you over, regardless of your artistry in favor of someone who can produce an image in the minimum amount of time?

J

BigHache
02-17-2008, 11:13 PM
I've considered (and still am) getting an iMac to carry me for a time. Can't say for LW experience on an Al iMac though.

Al iMacs are reported to have some video board issue. Not sure if it's faulty boards, overheating, or what. I think newer stock may have that issue resolved though. I actually saw one lock up in an Apple store. It was just running a children's game, not terrible graphic or processor intensive, and the screen went garbled and just hung until restarted. It was fine afterwards but that's kinda silly.

I'm with you on cost and I actually opted to build a Win system for now, though that's probably not the solution you're looking for. My thing was for about what the higher level Mac Mini costs I can build a quad core Win system that way outperforms the iMac. Not the solution I really wanted either but I needed power at a budget.

Johnny
02-18-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm with you on cost and I actually opted to build a Win system for now, though that's probably not the solution you're looking for. My thing was for about what the higher level Mac Mini costs I can build a quad core Win system that way outperforms the iMac. Not the solution I really wanted either but I needed power at a budget.

No, you're right, but it is an attractive option...

thing is, aside from being happy and comfortable with Macs, all my key software is Mac, or Mac-only, such as FCP, and all those software tools are no small consideration.

I long ago gave up the dream of having the fastest box around...I just don't want to be orders of magnitude slower.

funny...the rig I have now used to be everybody's dream machine...now, most people would spit on it.

machines keep getting faster and faster, and tho it's cool to have quicker renders, life isn't getting fundamentally BETTER...just more expensive..

J

BigHache
02-18-2008, 10:43 PM
I like the Mac, it's my OS of choice, at home and at work. Affordability does become... an issue sometimes.

I'm still running a dual G4 so I can't even run FCP if I wanted to, although that's my day job so I don't know that I want to come home and edit some more.

Hopefully I can build some business up with getting more 3D freelance work so I can get a newer Mac, blah, blah, blah. It never stops. Oh well.

Johnny
02-19-2008, 08:48 AM
I'm still running a dual G4 so I can't even run FCP if I wanted to, although that's my day job so I don't know that I want to come home and edit some more.

you sure about that? I run FC Studio on a G4 Mini with 1 GB RAM...

not as fast as my former G5s ran it, but...it runs.

Now I guess I risk taking this off-topic...

J

BigHache
02-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Might depend on the version. 5.0 requires a card that supports Quartz Extreme to install.