PDA

View Full Version : Dual Platform CD

ABCWash
07-14-2003, 02:25 PM
I have lw running on a Mac, and we just added a SUPER fast pc to our workstations. I tried to install LW on the pc using the windows version that came with the software, however, I had trouble finding the license file. Do I need to re-register the software with Newtek? Can I use the same dongle that's on our old mac and move to the PC? Any help would be great

Nakia
07-14-2003, 02:35 PM
Yep you need to re-regester for the PC version to get a new license and the dongle will work on both.
Thats the set-up I use. I model on Mac mostly but if I need some Extra horse power I will burn all I need to a cd or ftp everything over to the PC and finish on the PC but must move the USB dongle over (which aways freaks me out, scared to burn it out).
My Mac is a G4 933MHz, Geforce 4mx, 1,256Meg RAM
and PC is a 2.4 GHz XEON HT, Quadro 4 card, 1,256Meg RAM
So you can see that I might need to go back and forth but mostly for rendering speed as the Macx is perfect for most of the LW work.

Beamtracer
07-14-2003, 04:05 PM
The original USB dongles that were issued to Mac Lightwavers around the time of LW6 were Mac only. If you have one of these dongles you'll need to give Newtek a call and have it replaced if you want to go cross-platform. I think there might be a small fee for the a new dongle.

Around the time of LW7 Newtek adopted a "duo" policy where new editions of Lightwave would have everything they needed to work on both Mac and Windows. In the box you'd get a CD that would work with both, along with a newer type of USB dongle that would work with both.

Karl Hansson
07-14-2003, 11:11 PM
The tag on the dongle or the sticker on the LW 7 box should tell you if your dongle is a "DUO" or not.

Nakia
07-15-2003, 06:30 AM
I bought the 7.5 release which came with the Dual Dongle and two cds one Windows based CD and one Mac Based CD.
How durable are the Dongles moving them between systems is ok? If I order the LW 8 upgrade when it comes out will it come witha Dongle?

Zarathustra
07-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Upgrades don't come with dongles.

I've shifted my dongle around a bit over the last couple of years without a problem.

I would assume that if it did stop working, you could get a new one from NT. As long as it looked ok. I doubt if they would replace a dongle that was smashed or otherwise noticeably physically damaged.

I have one of the older, Mac-only dongles. It would be a pain to exchange since I have plugs that would require re-registering.

Karl Hansson
07-15-2003, 12:06 PM
If your are afraid that your dongle is going to wear from plugging it in and out all the time. You could plug your dongle into a USB extention cord and then just switch the extention cord. That way you only wear the extention cord.