PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEDIT Activation

Liber777
02-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Dear NewTek,

PLEASE provide your SpeedEDIT users with a better product activation method. I moved my SpeedEDIT installation to a new workstation today and because I've moved it a couple times before this "doesn't look good" according to the customer service rep, who seemingly almost refused to send me a new license key. I was warned that if I don't keep the install on this particular system for a long time to come that next time Customer Service is not supposed to activate my copy of SpeedEDIT.

I own full copies of Lightwave, Aura, the VT system with SX-8 and other more expensive high-end software such as Fusion 5 and Nuendo, and I have no worries about getting these apps going if I replace or upgrade my hardware.

Please come up with something better. A deactivation/activation scheme such as Adobe and Native Instruments have implemented for their products would work, as would a dongle solution.

It's unacceptable for NewTek to dictate a hardware refresh schedule to its customers.

Sincerely,
Stivan

mskuma
02-15-2008, 11:03 PM
I agree - it's not acceptable to have to go through the wringer to move machines. Other companies have solved the problem. I also object that I apparently have to phone the US to move a registration. I am about to find out if I've shot myself in the foot by registering the product before I install the license code on the eventual computer I plan to use. I can't get a response by email from customer support about this situation.. anyway I will soon found out how good/bad this situation is when I install on the new laptop.. will keep you posted.

trick
02-16-2008, 04:10 AM
This is all exactly the reason why I did not purchase SpeedEdit. With Adobe you are allowed to have a second install on a laptop or home computer and you can transfer licenses over the internet without intervention of a rep. Of course the Production Suites are way more expensive, but when using software professionally, there are times that I just can't risk even an hour to waste on licensing trouble. A wrong conclusion could be that SpeedEdit is then not meant for professionals :(

ted
02-16-2008, 10:22 AM
A wrong conclusion could be that SpeedEdit is then not meant for professionals :(

You are right. That would be a VERY WRONG conclusion. :)

Lightwolf
02-16-2008, 10:30 AM
You are right. That would be a VERY WRONG conclusion. :)
Well, to take that conclusion one step further as the devil's advocate: Maybe SE should have a professional licensing scheme then as well ;)

Cheers,
Mike

ScorpioProd
02-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Sony Vegas Pro 8 also allows the second install similar to Adobe.

And remember, SpeedEDIT wasn't made "only" for video professionals... They're welcome to use it as well, though. :hey:

CreatvGnius
02-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Sony Vegas Pro 8 also allows the second install similar to Adobe.

And remember, SpeedEDIT wasn't made "only" for video professionals... They're welcome to use it as well, though. :hey:

:hijack: No qualms about installing Vegas Pro 8 on the same machine as SpeedEDIT™ 1.5.1, there, Eugene?
-PeterG

ScorpioProd
02-16-2008, 03:33 PM
:hijack: No qualms about installing Vegas Pro 8 on the same machine as SpeedEDIT™ 1.5.1, there, Eugene?
-PeterG
No qualms at all. Unlike some Adobe products, it can live fine with SpeedEDIT and VT.

CreatvGnius
02-16-2008, 05:42 PM
No qualms at all. Unlike some Adobe products, it can live fine with SpeedEDIT and VT.

:hijack: Thanks! (Now I'm tempted to look into upgrading Sound Forge to the latest version.)
-PeterG

mskuma
02-18-2008, 03:36 AM
Well as I expected the license code I got for my other machine (which I never entered or activated) is invalid for my other machine. This is an overly strict situation, which is not acceptable or justified in light of better solutions. At least NewTek should consider having their software perform a serial number validation & unique machine id storage via a server process. This would achieve NewTek's objective of enforcing one instance per machine (which can be moved like Adobe allows -> moving is necessary & a reality of life). Now I need to make an international phone call to undo this ridiculous situation - all because I inadvertently registered in order to get the 1.5.1 update (this should also be fixed & made clearer on the website). NewTek please correct this crazy registration situation! People should be able to update their hardware environment independently from NewTek, whilst enforcing software licensing. If NewTek can't solve it - go back to dongles.

mskuma
02-18-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm also wondering whether this ProductID (which is a misnomer it seems to be a hardware ID) is independent of the OS or not.. If I decided to move from Vista to XP, do I have to enter a new registration code, i.e. another phone call? I'd be interested to hear people's experience with registration in this situation.

mskuma
02-18-2008, 03:58 AM
A potentially disturbing observation.. If you install 1.5.1 update over 1.2, you'll get a different productID (compared to what you got after installing 1.2).. So I guess make sure you install 1.5.1 before you request a registration code.. Maybe it's not an issue if you've already registered 1.2 then do the update.

Scott Bates
02-18-2008, 06:17 AM
If I decided to move from Vista to XP, do I have to enter a new registration code, i.e. another phone call?Yup. I did that 'upgrade' on one of my laptops and had to call in - no problems, no questions, just gave me a new code and told me to 'have a nice day'. :)

CreatvGnius
02-18-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm also wondering whether this ProductID (which is a misnomer it seems to be a hardware ID).
"Product ID"? Yeah. :confused: I can't seem to get my brains around that nomenclature.
-PeterG

Liber777
02-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Please resolve this issue for your SpeedEDIT customers. I submit the following protective measures for your consideration:

1. A dongle.

2. Online/phone DEACTIVATION/activation.

3. Trust your user base.

Thanks,
Stivan