PDA

View Full Version : Bone weight question, or something...

medicalart
02-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Any suggestions for keeping back-to-back bones aligned during animation? (see top picture). I'm trying to keep them in line even though both rigs are moving a lot. They come apart now (bottom picture). I haven't used weight maps, and am wondering if that would help. Thanks.

prospector
02-15-2008, 08:34 AM
You need a bone there that they both can be children of. Or a null.

medicalart
02-15-2008, 08:43 AM
The bones are already parented to the object that they control. Would I parent the two bones to a null and then parent the null to the object?

adamredwoods
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Would I parent the two bones to a null and then parent the null to the object?

No, try parenting the null to the object first, then the bones to the null.

SplineGod
02-15-2008, 03:16 PM
How do you have the bones setup so that theyre pulling apart like that?
You cant parent bones to anything except the object they belong to BUT you can use Follow, Contraints etc to make one bone stick to another.

medicalart
02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
The bones pull apart, no doubt, because I'm using PLG curve. I might be out of luck. A number of LW tools seem to be ineffective while PLG curve controls the rig. (I posted this in "3rd party " forum.) I don't have too many frames where things went awry, so I've just been repositioning the bones when this happens. Lots of unpredictable movement with PLG curve, but, as several of you have said, it does make some movements go pretty easily.

SplineGod
02-15-2008, 04:59 PM
You might try making the initial bones smaller and not have PLG curve applied to them so they stay in place.
LW sometimes has problems with stacking deformers or modifiers on each other.

medicalart
02-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks.