PDA

View Full Version : General Workflow Question...

JeffrySG
02-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi all... I was just curious to see how people go about building their scenes in LW. Let's say you needed to do a interior room rendering. Would you build each object separately and then import each object into layout to place all of the objects? So for example if you were building a classroom would you build one chair, one desk, the walls, floor, ceiling, the blackboard, light fixtures, all as separate LW models and import them all into layout? Or would you build a lot (all) of the objects in one LW model file? maybe on different layers? LW is the first app. that I've used where the modeling app. is separate than the rendering portion.

What if you wanted ten of the chairs in the room but some of them needed different textures? do you need to create different object files for each one that has a different texture? I was just wondering (especially the arch. vis people) how you do it and why (benefits/drawbacks).

Thanks for any input!
Jeff

Exception
02-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I usually keep unique objects that are scene-specific in the same object file with proper layer naming. Layers in objects behave like separate objects in layout. Indeed, each object that needs separate mapping needs to be a unique object, but I don't think that chairs with different mappings occur a lot in projects.

There's a big difference between standard mapping and UV mapping... the latter will move along with object placement in modeler, the former does not, but both do when placing in layout.

MikeUnderwood
02-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Keeping each object as a separate object file and then putting it together in Layout seems the simplest for me. Especially working in a team environment where you can have different people working on different objects at the same time without having to worry about saving over other people's work.

K-Dawg
02-15-2008, 05:37 AM
So saving in multiple files and layers are both good to go, depending on what your going for?

I have another question for workflow that would fit in here I guess. Sry Jeffry, didn't want to highjack :)

What would you suggest to be the better workflow for character modeling?

Model, Surface, Texture, Weightmap, Bone, Rig, Morphmap...

or

Model, Surface, Morphmap, Weightmap, Bone, Rig, Texture.....

Greetz

JeffrySG
02-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the input guys that all makes sense... and no prob. KD. - ask away!

It's nice to just hear how other people work sometimes.... :)