PDA

View Full Version : My first model: a hot dog.

Adrian Lopez
02-21-2003, 11:15 PM
This hot dog model is my first Lightwave model (aside from throwaway models created while learning the tools). The hot dog's flat faces were created by rotating a slightly overlapping box around a capsule and using Boolean:Subtract. The buns were created from a flattened capsule, half of it removed by subtracting a box from the flattened capsule. The depression on the inside of the bun was created by subtracting a more flattened copy of the bun from the original half-bun.

Comments welcome (both about my approach and about the model).

Antimatter
02-22-2003, 02:01 AM
that was you first model? not bad if you ask me, my first one was a cube :)

my only real c&c is that the edges on the bun shouldn't be that sharp you need to smooth them out, and have them be little raggy, ie look like it was torn apart, the edges i mean *my bun i always have to rip em apart to get em to open right :rolleyes: *

Hiraghm
02-22-2003, 01:50 PM
The hot dog itself looks great. It also looks raw...

Adrian Lopez
02-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Thanks Antimatter and Hiraghm for the comments...

Antimatter,

I did model some cubes and other simple shapes before the hot dog, so I could learn the tools, but the hot dog is the first object that I modeled with an actual plan in mind.

I should make the bun's edges a little raggy, as you suggest. Do you have any ideas on how to do this? Using UV bump maps, maybe?

Hiraghm,

What would you recommend to make the hot dog seem like it's cooked? I guess darker colors and some burn marks might do it?

All,

I'm not quite satisfied with the surfacing of the objects. I used procedural color textures for the hot dog and the bun's yellow crust, and a procedural bump texture for the inside of the bun. I should change that bump texture to something more coarse and hole-y.

Hiraghm
02-23-2003, 03:33 PM
I would suggest mottling the dog itself more with darker colors, adding a specularity map so it has shiny spots, and reducing the sharpness of the corners on it. Hot dogs tend to swell a bit when you cook them, which would reduce the sharpness of the corners.

Now I'm hungry...

Antimatter
02-23-2003, 05:45 PM
gotta a couple ideas for you, first one is on the inside the bread part, white part but anyway my idea was using deformation.

its in layout when you render, now i think its on a object basis only but you could probably take that white part triple it a couple time to get pleaty of point then apply some sort of deformation to it though a say crumble texture or something, that should give it a more raggy look + a more holey procuducal texture. you can also apply the same thing to the edges and so on.

then with the actual hotdog, mine always split along one side when i cook so a good idea would be try to dupicate that effect. would give it a more cooked look along with it being darker +splots plus where did you cook it, on a grill? or in a pot of boiling water or what? if its a grill then add a set of grill burn mark.

Rory_L
02-23-2003, 08:23 PM
...and start playing with particles: a steaming dog is a hot hot dog! :)

Then you can do hypervoxel mustard and ketchup! Gaaa! Drool!!

R

Adrian Lopez
02-26-2003, 01:16 AM
Well, I've increased smoothing angle on the hot dog's surface so that it looks more plump and I modified the colors/textures so it doesn't look raw. I would have liked a bit less smoothing on the hot dog, but I couldn't find an easy way to get that. I also changed the bun's surface colors and textures, but I still don't like them.

I tried deforming the edges so they looked less sharp, but everything I tried made the model look worse.

I've attached a copy of the latest render. I think I'll go work on something else now, but thank you all for the help.

Randog
02-26-2003, 11:03 AM
I would look at your ambient light setting. Make it 0 (zero) and then add lights. I would look in to some basic 3-point lighting. If you do not know what that is, look around on the web there are a lot of resources for lighting.

Are shadows on?

-Randy

Max Wolf
02-26-2003, 12:53 PM
try adding a more yellow/brown color to the inside of the bun.

Adrian Lopez
02-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Here's an image with the inside of the bun in a yellowish color. I'll leave the three-point lighting for later.

I'm not yet very familiar with Layout, so I don't know whether shadows are enabled. I don't see any shadows, but the default light's "Shadow Type" is set to "Ray Trace" (color is set to black).

oxyg3n
02-27-2003, 02:25 AM
Hello,

Make sure that you select "ray trace shadows." It is found under the render options in layout. ANd then the shadows should work.

Zombat
02-27-2003, 06:16 AM
heh. Awesome. I can't find my first render, but it was no where near this one. :)

Adrian Lopez
03-02-2003, 01:13 AM
Here is the latest render, with a texture change for the bun, shadows enabled and an attempt at three-point lighting. It's time for me to work on other models, but thanks again to all of you for your comments and advice.

oxyg3n
03-02-2003, 01:28 AM
ONe more thing,

It is always a nice touch to have your model rest on something. Even as simple as a flat plane. Try adding one, I think it will help it look more finished!

Good Job

Adrian Lopez
03-02-2003, 09:24 PM
Okay, here's one more render. I've modeled a plate for the hotdog and added a grey plane as a background. I enabled Caustics and Radiosity for this render.