PDA

View Full Version : Help with eyeballs floating away!!!

swingrays
02-14-2008, 12:27 PM
I've created a rig which works fine. Then I go to make the eyebones, one stretching from the middle of the eyeball to the back and then a smaller child bone from it rotated 180. I activate the bones and zero out the rotation. All good so far. Now, I'll create a null to move both sets of eyebones. The null works. Now, I need to keep my bones in my head when I go to move it. Initially I tried setting the "Use bones from" selection to have the both eye layers use the bones from Layer 1. That hasn't worked yet. So, in a previous character I just parented the parent eyebone to one of the head bones. It worked, but in every character since it goes arwy right here!

This is Lightwave 101, I know. But I need answers. I just want to make eyebones that will make my eyes move using a Null and stay in the head of my character!!!! HELP!!!!! I have to be missing something here!!!!! :bangwall:

swing

Stooch
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
umm not sure about lw but generally you dont bone eyeballs. you just parent them to the head bone.

Surrealist.
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Absolutely agree, as I said in the other post way back. You can just target them to a null. Not really sure why you are insisting that they be boned. But if you have to bone them for some reason, your set up will work if you follow my instructions in the other thread.

Also try to keep it to one post this gets a little confusing.

Also would have been good to add to the earlier post rather than make a new one because this is the same problem and people could get the history of it.

swingrays
02-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Putting bones in eyeballs is how I was taught since 2002. I simply assumes it was the only way. Every tutorial and dvd I have use bones in eyes. Pardon my ignorance. Rich-I really forgot that my earlier post was on this same subject. Sorry guys!

Ok then, if you don't put bones in eyes, how the heck do you make the eyes move and rotate? Just parent the eyes to the head bone then what? Should both eyeballs be on separate layers? Should I create a Null to use for each eye? Sorry for all the questions?

swing

Surrealist.
02-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey no problem.

OK, so just parent both eyes to the head bone, add a null and also parent it to the head bone. You can move it far off enough so the eyes don't cross up and target both of them to the null. Wherever the head bone goes or rotates the eye rigg will follow.

An alternate set up depending on the needs of the shot would be to unparent the target from the head bone so the eyes can stay directed on something independent of the head motion.

swingrays
02-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I took out the bones, parented both eye layers to the head bone, made a null to move the eye out in front of the face. BUT, when I selected the eye object and set the target item to the eye mover null, my eye flipped backwards. It works great except for that. I check Match Goal Orientation and it pops back into place, but won't move.

swingrays
02-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Could it be a pivot point matter? It seems when I move the null the eye (while very much backwards and out of the body) it looks like it's pivoting around some far off point. I tried move pivot, but I get a box that says something about zeroing out the rotation and scale. This is quite a mystery.

Surrealist.
02-16-2008, 01:22 AM
You can zero out the rotation values of the eye and move the pivot back to the center of the eye. Don't use match goal.

Or go back to modeler use the center pivot command in the layers tab to center the pivot and then back in layout with the move pivot tool selected hit the reset button.

IMI
02-16-2008, 10:25 AM
William Vaughan made a video tutorial for this sort of thing recently. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it might help:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/EyeRig.mov

Stooch
02-16-2008, 01:51 PM
your eyeballs should be looking down the +Z axis for the orient tool to work properly. you could parent them to a null and introduce a 180 degree offset and then use the target feature on the null.

Surrealist.
02-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Right. Make note of that because that is the case with any object you want to target or do anything similar such as orient down a path.

swingrays
02-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Ok Yea it WAS a pivot point problem. I really don't understand why. Anyway, I've been trying to use the rotate and move pivot point tools in Layout, but the rotation keeps getting messed around. So, I will attempt to correct it in Modeler. And yes, I found that with my character facing backwards the eyes will flip backwards as well.
The drama continues, but now I have a handle on what's happening here and how to stop it in the future. Thanks everyone very much for your help and patience.:thumbsup:

swing

swingrays
02-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Everything seems to work fine so far except that now if I move the eyemovergoal down too far the eyeballs want to flip and spin around, but go back to nornal when I move it back up. maybe the Billy Vaughn tutorial might give me more control, but for this character it's ok. I just don't like the flipping and spinning. Granted, this character is the penguin tutorial straight out Dan Ablan's Lightwave 9 book and the eyes aren't exactly round to begin with, so the odd movement is amplified. :lwicon: