PDA

View Full Version : Google earth in Lightwave plugin

3DGFXStudios
02-14-2008, 03:15 AM
Wouldn't i be great if there was a plug-in that enables you to implement Google earth or Google maps in Lightwave?

I always see these zooming animations from space to earth. Almost every 3d artist has made a globe once in his life, right? I think most people use printscreen in google earth to get the textures.

I think a plug-in (maybe a node) that implements Google earth in lightwave is a real timesaver. Than you don't have to struggle with extreme big textures and /or you don't have to press printscreen until you finger hurts!

Who's with me!!! :hey:

Lightwolf
02-14-2008, 03:44 AM
I'm sorry to say, but it would be illegal to distribute it or access the google earth data like that.
There was a standalone tool from a russian programmer released a few months ago that did just that - extract the images from google earth. And boy did the site get pulled quickly (I can just see the army of google laywers).

Having said that ... plug, plug: infiniMap can get you close with the right data (some of it available for free).

Cheers,
Mike

3DGFXStudios
02-14-2008, 04:19 AM
mmm bummer!! But still it would be awesome if such plug was out there!

3DGFXStudios
02-14-2008, 04:44 AM
this is a cool program which extracts google images and stitches them back together! http://google-maps-image-downloader.uptodown.com/en/

bg01
02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Did anyone see where Microsoft and Caligari will be working together on MS Virtual Earth 3D ....project?

http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/showthread.php?p=59557#post59557

Not sure what that means...

THREEL
02-14-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure you want to fork over the $300-400 per year, but I'm pretty sure that Google offers a professional version of Google Earth that you can use in your projects.

The nightly news broadcasts often use Google Earth to show locations of news stories. Also, there is a program called NASA Worldwind that gives you pretty nice coverage of the globe. You'd just have to check on their licensing agreement on whether, or not you can use the images in commercial projects.

AL

Steamthrower
02-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I think everything from NASA is public domain. Don't quote me on that though.

archijam
02-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Worldwind is also not as good resolution as the best of GE, but has some other nice features (exagerate terrain by 2x or 5x etc.)

j.

hunter
02-14-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure you want to fork over the $300-400 per year, but I'm pretty sure that Google offers a professional version of Google Earth that you can use in your projects.

The nightly news broadcasts often use Google Earth to show locations of news stories. Also, there is a program called NASA Worldwind that gives you pretty nice coverage of the globe. You'd just have to check on their licensing agreement on whether, or not you can use the images in commercial projects.

AL
yup. We us it at work all the time. It allows you to save out as high of resolution as the pics are and also render avi's of your tours and such. Totally worth it for what we do at the DA's office but maybe not for everyone.

Hopper
02-15-2008, 09:52 AM
I think everything from NASA is public domain. Don't quote me on that though.
I was wondering when someone was going to make that point. All the images that google uses is from USGS satellites. You can use the "images" all you want. Google doesn't own them. You just can't use the code. But if you've seen the code, it truly is awesome. The DoD bought the rights to the original code and we were using it in custom GPS enabled cameras by Richo. Really cool project. They're using it in Iraq right now for scout patrols.

Lightwolf
02-15-2008, 09:55 AM
All the images that google uses is from USGS satellites. You can use the "images" all you want. Google doesn't own them.
Not quite.
a) Google licenses the images.
b) You can't use the images all you want
c) Especially the higher res images (anything beyond 15m/pixel) are not from USGS satellites but from commercial providers.

Check the copyright messages on the views and google for them.

Cheers,
Mike

Hopper
02-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Not quite.
a) Google licenses the images.
b) You can't use the images all you want
c) Especially the higher res images (anything beyond 15m/pixel) are not from USGS satellites but from commercial providers.

Check the copyright messages on the views and google for them.

Ahhh. It's been a couple of years since then. I know they started out using USGS and there was some sort of conflict when they wouldn't allow Google to use 3m data. I didn't know they had gone to commercial providers. My bad.

IgnusFast
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm sorry to say, but it would be illegal to distribute it or access the google earth data like that.
There was a standalone tool from a russian programmer released a few months ago that did just that - extract the images from google earth. And boy did the site get pulled quickly (I can just see the army of google laywers).

Having said that ... plug, plug: infiniMap can get you close with the right data (some of it available for free).

Cheers,
Mike

Not knocking you guys, it looks like an amazing program... Too bad there's not a hobbiest version. I'd love to be able to map hires images, but I just can't afford $400 again for fun. My wife is still kicking my *** for buying FPrime back when it came out! :)

3DGFXStudios
02-16-2008, 10:32 AM
I didn't know there was a proffesional version.... Going to check that out!!! Cool!

Lightwolf
02-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Not knocking you guys, it looks like an amazing program... Too bad there's not a hobbiest version.
Well, not a hobbyist version as such.... but wait a few weeks (one or two...).

Cheers
Mike

hijacker
02-17-2008, 06:16 PM
A hobbyist/lite version, or similar, of infiniMap would be great. I'd be lining up with my hobbyist dollars as well.

MS has just or recently acquired the rights to a series of 15cm cameras (ultracam from Austria) to do their version of GE. Thats a lot of data and a lot of frames, I've been told one frame per 1.5 seconds. AAMHATCH a miming company has them here in Australia and are currently working up an East Coast data base.

Martyn

Lightwolf
02-18-2008, 02:43 AM
A hobbyist/lite version, or similar, of infiniMap would be great. I'd be lining up with my hobbyist dollars as well.

Well, we already have a (very lite) version that is free ... but also very limited.
If you don't license infiniMap you can still use the surface shader for planar mapping, just download and run it (somehow I have the feeling that needs to be communicated more clearly - our fault ;) ).

Cheers,
Mike

hijacker
02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks Lightwolf I'll have to give that a try next time I get a spare five minutes. It's a great product from what I can see and for what it does the price seems fair - just out of my wife's zone of allowance.

cheers

Martyn

THREEL
02-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks Lightwolf I'll have to give that a try next time I get a spare five minutes. It's a great product from what I can see and for what it does the price seems fair - just out of my wife's zone of allowance.

cheers

Martyn

It always goes back to the boss doesn't it? :lol:

Me too! :cry:

starbase1
02-20-2008, 08:25 AM
AL

Yep, it's called, surprisingly enough, Google Earth Pro:
http://earth.google.com/earth_pro.html

Gets you export at up to 4800 pixels, whole load of stuff. There's a 7 day free trial too, so the impecunious amongst us might want to set aside a few days, and get very busy!

tommymamn
02-21-2008, 05:47 AM
so the impecunious amongst us might want to set aside a few days, and get very busy!

Great word! That pretty much describes me :)

gatz
02-21-2008, 08:45 AM
There's a 7 day free trial too, so the impecunious amongst us might want to set aside a few days, and get very busy!

The trial is watermarked. And the licensing is more involved that simply buying the Pro version. How much more involved? I'm still waiting on some answers. The two or three pages of agreements aren't particularly clear.

rg