PDA

View Full Version : SX-SDI Question

bob anderson
02-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry if this has been hashed over before. I searched around on the forum, and didn't find any useful info. Is there any clear wiring diagram on the sx-sdi, and integrating that with the sx-84? I found the instructions included with the sx-sdi really unclear.

Thanks,
Bob Anderson

CreatvGnius
02-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Sorry if this has been hashed over before. I searched around on the forum, and didn't find any useful info. Is there any clear wiring diagram on the sx-sdi, and integrating that with the sx-84? I found the instructions included with the sx-sdi really unclear.

Thanks,
Bob Anderson

You might have to direct that one to a dealer or to Tech Support, Bob. I haven't seen any such diagram for the SX-SDI relating to signal flow with respect to SX-84 interconnectivity.
-PeterG

bob anderson
02-14-2008, 08:19 AM
here's the trouble... I AM the dealer and tech support said look here. I did a thurough search... and there was no clear description. thus my question... the single banger cards were all good... but my first sx-sdi was terrible, because i didn't know how to answer their questions.. and nt tech support was little help. i have a same install at KTLA inext week... and i need to know everything.. like a total expert on the sdi i/o... and tech support's best answer was..." yea I knoe the documentation is poor" look on the forums

so i did.. and i'm no finding anything.. what i need is i digram

the card switch was cake.. but the re cabling.. what goes to the sx-sdi.. where the control in and out etc.... the 3 sheets of paper that came with it were vague at best.

i need a clear wiring diagram.. next week is at KTLA the big tv statio here.. and i don't want to say.. um i don't know... anyone who's installed a sx-sci and had success i'd appreciate input. or at least a point towards a forrum that says exactly where the cables go..

hanks in advance
bob anderson

bob anderson
02-14-2008, 08:36 AM
dealers get the same tech support as the rest... i get to return bad hardware fast.. but that's it.. i sit in the same tech support que as you.. and i'm the #1 dealer . Tech support wait time sucks. I was tech manager back in amiga days.. at newtek we had 7 people and we each got over 200 calls a day.. so i'm understanding..

feel free to pepper with me with amiga toaster flyer questions

bob anderson

bob anderson
02-14-2008, 08:48 AM
reading what i did about the sx-sdi getting audio trouble makes me worries as well.. i seemed to have got all the video and audio, and control cables all wound up while re-plugging everything pack into the back of the vt...as well as 2 network cables and a power or two.. so i get where the hum might humm come from... but right now that's the leas of the troubles. i just really need wiring diagram the papers that NT sends are un
clear

bob anderson

CreatvGnius
02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
reading what i did about the sx-sdi getting audio trouble makes me worries as well.. i seemed to have got all the video and audio, and control cables all wound up while re-plugging everything pack into the back of the vt...as well as 2 network cables and a power or two.. so i get where the hum might humm come from... but right now that's the leas of the troubles. i just really need wiring diagram the papers that NT sends are un
clear

bob anderson

Bob, Barring your dropping a private Email to some pertinent party, try a quick look-up of SD-SDI at Wikipedia, and see if perchance something useful is posted there? Who knows. Might surprise you.
-PeterG

SachaG01
02-14-2008, 12:51 PM
here's the trouble... I AM the dealer and tech support said look here. I did a thurough search... and there was no clear description. thus my question... the single banger cards were all good... but my first sx-sdi was terrible, because i didn't know how to answer their questions.. and nt tech support was little help. i have a same install at KTLA inext week... and i need to know everything.. like a total expert on the sdi i/o... and tech support's best answer was..." yea I knoe the documentation is poor" look on the forums

so i did.. and i'm no finding anything.. what i need is i digram

the card switch was cake.. but the re cabling.. what goes to the sx-sdi.. where the control in and out etc.... the 3 sheets of paper that came with it were vague at best.

i need a clear wiring diagram.. next week is at KTLA the big tv statio here.. and i don't want to say.. um i don't know... anyone who's installed a sx-sci and had success i'd appreciate input. or at least a point towards a forrum that says exactly where the cables go..

hanks in advance
bob anderson

I don't have a diagram to hand but I'll try my best:

Assuming you've changed the VT-PRO daughter board for the SX-SDI one and put the other connectors in the slots in your PC, the connections are as follows:

The control cable that went from the VT-PRO card to the SX-84 now goes into the Control *input* on the SX-SDI BOB instead. The extra 15-way D-type to D-type cable that you were supplied with now loops out of the Control *Out* of the SX-SDI BOB into the SX-84 Control In.

The 5-way BNC to 15-way D-type that your were supplied now goes from the new VT-PRO daughter connector to the 5x BNC sockets on the SX-SDI BOB on the lower right (labelled with colours red, green, blue, grey and black).

The other two AES (they're not strictly as they're unbalanced - we call them SPDIF) phono connectors on the PC end are for digital audio in and out and are optional and don't have to be connected unless you want them.

Does this help at all for starters? - PM me if you're still stuck.

bob anderson
02-19-2008, 12:18 PM
sorry if this is a double... Sasha that is exactly what I needed thank you so very much.

Next time you're in Los Angeles, I owe you a beer..

bob anderson

tmon
02-19-2008, 03:32 PM
NEWTEK:

Is this information documented anywhere?

We're considering the SX-SDI option, but a little wary as this thread confirms the weakness of support for this product. Makes me a bit hesitant to make the move.

SachaG01
02-21-2008, 02:08 AM
NEWTEK:

Is this information documented anywhere?

We're considering the SX-SDI option, but a little wary as this thread confirms the weakness of support for this product. Makes me a bit hesitant to make the move.

We didn't have any problems at all with installation, and the problems we did have (audio delay) were primarily a config problem on our part - support wise, Andrew Cross was very helpful in this regard, so no I wouldn't consider the product support to be particularly weak, although they need do sort their documentation out a bit....

Sacha.

bob anderson
02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Tiaji: The hardware install is a snap, as is the software configuration. I needed info on interconnecting the SX-SDI and the SX-84, and the SX-SDI and the VT card. The included documentation was as clear as mud. If you follow the above described wiring, it's a piece of cake.

Bob Anderson

chipper2
03-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Hello Everyone (This is my first post) Thanks for the good info. I have an SDI related question.. I have 3 SDI cams connected to SX-SDI. camera 1 is also carrying my program audio through the SDI channel. but there is only 1 SDI audio control in the Audio mixer. (SD0) The problem is when I switch to a different cam durring the live feed I lose the audio from the SD0 channel unless camera 1 selected in preview or main. How do I get the audio from the SDI cam 1 to stay active all the time.

Thanks,
Chip

chipper2
03-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Please disreguard the above response. I posted a new thread under the title "SX-SDI Audio Question"