PDA

View Full Version : DXF Help

aloysius1001
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm trying to learn to do some Arch/Vis work. I have a friend who uses Autocad to design homes and she gave me a DXF file to work with. I opened it in LW7.5d and it was a mess. Do I need to ask for more specific portions of the file or break the file up into more manageable pieces myself(if so how). I've never worked with DXF files before and am a bit overwhelmed. I'm attaching a zip of the DXF file. If somebody could take a look at it and give me an idea of how to approach this it would be greatly appreciated. I also opened the file in Illustrator, this was an even bigger mess. It had 92 layers each with at least equally as many sub-layers, so Illustrator help would be welcomed as well if it can help me get something useful into LW.

RollerJesus
02-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Is this just an exterior or an interior shot as well?

Nicolas Jordan
02-13-2008, 12:29 PM
If you are planning on doing this type of work often and dealing with .dxf you may want to look at AccuTrans 3D(file conversion program) http://www.micromouse.ca/ and LWCAD http://www.wtools3d.com/

aloysius1001
02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I was hoping to do both the exterior and the several interiors, but I was going to start by focusing on the exterior. I'll take your advice on both if you have the time. As far as LWCAD, I'd have to upgrade from 7.5d to 9.? and then get LWCAD, unfortunately I don't have the $. How long has LWCAD been around anyway, I think it has been around since 7.5 but I may be mistaken. I'll check out accutrans thought.

Thanks

aloysius1001
02-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Just checked Accutrans, unfortunately I'm on a Mac.

RollerJesus
02-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I opened your dxf up and hacked out all the paperspace nonsense and saved out the dxf again. The file has both interior and exterior so you should be good. Also opened it in Illustrator and saved but it's too big to upload, so you're on your own for that one.

Now for the hard part! I don't envy you doing this without LWCAD, but I hope it works out for you!

Patrick

aloysius1001
02-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, Illustrator version was pretty hairy. Thanks for your help. It is still a bit daunting, but not nearly as bad as it was.

Giacomo99
02-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Pretty impressive, RollerJesus. I'll echo Nicolas Jordan--if one is going to do this kind of work, LW alone (or even with LWCAD) is probably going to be insufficient.

(I use Form Z as an intermediate step in managing CAD or IGES files before sending them to Lightwave, but Form Z is fairly pricey and also a bit tricky to learn. It is very good at managing this kind of thing, though.)

Larry_g1s
02-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Now for the hard part! I don't envy you doing this without LWCAD, but I hope it works out for you!

PatrickAgreed! I love LWCAD for ArchViz.:heart: Do a search under ProgeCad, or ProgeSoft. I believe they still have a free lite version of an AutoCAD clone, that will help you atleast import .dwg/.dxf files and clean them up. AccuTrans is a great little app. Only problem is it is 32 bit OS only. LWCAD will import .dxf's no problem though.

RollerJesus
02-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Pretty impressive, RollerJesus.

The credit really goes to the person that did the model originally, I just happen to have AutoCAD, but thanks!

The plan set is really nice in my opinion and I look forward to seeing some results from this. I didn't mean to sound discouraging. :o

Best,
RJ

MicroMouse
02-14-2008, 10:23 PM
AccuTrans is a great little app. Only problem is it is 32 bit OS only.

64 bit port is scheduled for this year.

Wayne

Ty Catt
02-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I am actually having the same issues, funny to see this thread.

Saved me some posting time!

Trying to wrangle progeCAD lite into working for me.

It's always nice to know such a strong knowledge-base exists on these forums.:thumbsup:

Thanks, everyone.

Ty

aloysius1001
02-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Actually I've switched gears. I got a few PDF's of the floorplan and elevations and I've been using those. I'll post some pics when I get a bit more done.