PDA

View Full Version : LiveSets w/Multiple People

CLE
02-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Has anyone used a live set w/multiple people? We hold panel discussions and I'd love to have them sitting in a virtua set - but it looks like they are only made for 1 talking head. Can someone weigh in on this before I buy a greenscreen and frustrate myself?:)

SBowie
02-14-2008, 07:36 AM
I've customized one of the default sets for this purpose (a 3-person setup using a 16x9 feed.) It can certainly be done. It takes a fair amount of forethought, as there are so many variables with regard to seating, staging, camera positions and so-on. I'm in San Antonio this week, but when I get back to my office I'll post a sample image.

CLE
02-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks - I'm looking forward to seeing how you did it. I think 3 would be max number of people I would try it with.

CreatvGnius
02-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks - I'm looking forward to seeing how you did it. I think 3 would be max number of people I would try it with.

I earnestly recommend such multi-person capable sets be demoed at NAB 2008.
-PeterG

SBowie
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
here ya go... (yikes - "Attack of the Rex Clones!")

I set this experimental set up so two people could sit further left, and one to the
right (though I suspect it would serve as well for the reverse setup) - sort of
'news, weather and sports' style. In this LiveSet design, the left-most camera
is aimed diagonally across the set to frame the right-hand actor, while the right
camera frames the pair at left. The center cam shot includes all three persons.

The upper two images show the two center shots, 'wide' and 'mid', while the
bottom one is one of the shots from the right cam. One other thing that's
different about this one is that the view outside the 'windows' is supplied from
a DDR assigned to AUX.

http://www.vtworx.com/Resources/triplet.jpg

Streamking
02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Love it, can I have copy? <cheeky Monkey>

andrew_y
02-15-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm willing to bet that someone from the LightWave community might be willing to help if your looking for custom work, instead of trying to work (rework?) an already created set. :)

SBowie
02-15-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm willing to bet that someone from the LightWave community might be willing to help if your looking for custom work, instead of trying to work (rework?) an already created set.Sure, this was a quick experiment in 'staging', not 'modeling.' All did in LW was tweak the demo set that comes with the plugin as a test of the principle (and the rest was done in Mirage) ... but this sort of thing is not particularly demanding modeling even for a duffer like me. :)

joseburgos
02-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Did some one call me?

Just kidding but jokes aside, I have a two man LiveSet that I have been working on for about a month now.
It's a sports set that has two people, being fed from one camera, at the two ends of the sport desk.
Still being beta tested by a user who does a sports show so look for it soon.

Take care,

SBowie
02-18-2008, 03:02 PM
I have a two man LiveSet that I have been working on for about a month now.Yup, I hear that - there are a surprising number of considerations and details if you really want things to look spot on!

joseburgos
02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes there are and that is why this set is taking so long and the only one that needs beta testing since I started making them.

My hope is for the end of the month but who knows.

nsdV
03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Any updates on these livesets?

-Thanks

SBowie
03-05-2008, 02:25 PM
I have one based on the "Morning Set" that I can share (I chose it to experiment with because the desk was quite wide already) ... but it's almost 29 megs zipped, so I can't upload it to the Content Exchange (the limit there is about 10 megs lower).

Send me an email if you want , and we can arrange a transfer. Here's the notes on it:

It is made for 16x9 DV format. 3 camera angles (along with Align Cam) in this LiveSet. Camera 1 is intended to be located on the left side of the set, aiming to the right to provide mid and close views of an actor at right in the set. Camera 2 is center cam, pulled way back for a long shot, and a tighter 3 shot of all 3 actors. Camera 3 is the opposite of 1, situated at right physically, shooting across the set to the left, to frame mid and close shots of two actors seated on the left side of the set.

(I think the framing is sloppy enough that you could actually put two people on either the left or right, or even both actually.)

The view outside the windows is also taken from a 16x9 scene on the FX bus, presumably provided by a DDR, though it could be live for a different (video wall)effect. (Note - there are no 'PiP' shots, only talent.)

djwade
03-27-2008, 08:51 AM
I also am looking for multiple person sets in addition to more individual sets.
If you are a provider/contractor please contact me with samples.
[email protected]

Thanks

CreatvGnius
03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Has anyone used a live set w/multiple people? We hold panel discussions and I'd love to have them sitting in a virtua set - but it looks like they are only made for 1 talking head. Can someone weigh in on this before I buy a greenscreen and frustrate myself?:)

Did so just this past Sunday evening, but note that we were operating in the widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio) afforded by TriCaster ProFX and TriCaster STUDIO. I suspect this aspect ratio provides for greater latitude in seating 2 people in a set.

We activated the widescreen mode in each of our cameras' setup menu, and chose the "Demo Studio" LiveSet™ variant.

Even so, the two subjects within that Demo Studio virtual set were directed to keep their arms from flaying into the outer edges of the matte area, during the on-camera discussion that would ensue between the two.

NewTek is well aware of the clamoring among users, for more LiveSet templates that accommodate multiple subjects (and more than just two individuals, I trust); In fact they've made a commitment to introduce some to market in very short order.

Who knows, perhaps we'll see one or two, in demo setups in a few weeks, at the National Convention of Broadcasters convention (NAB) in Las Vegas.
:)
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
03-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Correction:
...perhaps we'll see one or two LiveSet™with multiple individuals in use for NewTek demonstration in a few weeks, at the National Association of Broadcasters convention (NAB) in Las Vegas.
:)
-PeterG