PDA

View Full Version : Displacement mapped surface as collision object

wilbod
02-13-2008, 07:34 AM
So what I've been trying to do is use a greyscale image sequence [mov] as a displacement map on a mesh, and then use that displaced mesh as a collision object for a particle stream. Dynamics generally seem to ignore displacement maps, so I'm thinking I've got to bake the displacement somehow. Does nayone have any pointers for me. I'm an on-off user of LW9, too many other hats to spend enough quality time on it. TIA

evenflcw
02-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Do you have the Collision Type set to Object-SubDiv (assuming you're using a subd object for displacement)? And are you calculating? If your mesh is being displaced (animated or not) you'll need to calculate so LW will reevaluate the mesh each frame.

wilbod
02-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi, yes, I've tried both subdiv and advanced object for type. I've also just been trying the displace texture option but with no success so far.

serge
02-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi, yes, I've tried both subdiv and advanced object for type. I've also just been trying the displace texture option but with no success so far.
And you hit "calculate" like evenflcw said? It should work. Otherwise post a scenefile so people can have a look.