PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Geney

ridasaleeb2
02-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Making Lantern Fires Off- Geney Comes Out
How Do We Control The Smoke To Conform To Geney's Body As It Unfolds Out And Transforms Into Proper Human Figure
Ideas Anyone Lw9

Stooch
02-12-2008, 09:12 PM
use a combination of smoke emitter via particles and voxels on mesh (of the genies body). use vibrating displacements on the genies body (decreasing in displacement amplitude) in order to coalesce the smoke gradually into a more solid shape. Blend the two in post.

Etch
02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Would there be a way to do something like that without post work?

Perhaps causing the voxels to fade (and maybe scale down) based on Y-distance towards the lamp?

Stooch
02-12-2008, 10:40 PM
yes. you could with proper blending. would be more of a pain in the ***.

i would establish a cloud of particle based smoke first and then let the emitter taper off and the particles die over time becoming more trasnparent, while fading in the voxels on the mesh over their life time. if you time it right, it will mix together.

ridasaleeb2
02-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks Stooch , Etch. The problem of using the genie object-surface as an emitter is that the smoke does not follow the limb movement as the genie stands up from a crouching position, and if you try to target the limb ,the smoke heads up to the vertex(pivot) point at the top of the hip insted of staying around the calf (for eg.) Also the placement of emitter parented to the ankle does not move with the ankle using a morph deformation object to standing position. I will have to try full bone rigging and movement. Further ??

Stooch
02-13-2008, 09:05 PM
you dont have to emit. just use the voxels on the object itself. if you displace the object it will randomize the points. if you vibrate the displacement it will help you blend the voxels and make it more smokey looking. as you decrease the displacement the points will get back into your object shape and appear to coalesce. use sprite mode for voxels and use normal displacements for the objects.

Stooch
02-13-2008, 09:11 PM
you may have to subdivide the genie model to give it a more regular point distribution.

ridasaleeb2
02-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Stooch, your way is the way to go- thanks. I assume you mean to displace the whole genie object with some vibration- as there is no displacement or vibration control interface for the HV particles deformation tab in the object properties- only the size and hypertexture controls in the hypervoxel window.
Also normal displacement tab will sit second in line after the HVparticle in the deformation list of object properties? Rida

Stooch
02-19-2008, 05:14 PM
yep. not sure about the deformation order just mess around with it.

ridasaleeb2
03-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Stooch, I have made excellent progress in the initial particle emittance from the lantern forming general shapes of body and bulky shoulders and head. Now for the more detailed work. Problem: very heavy rendering with not the best results- using HV of the genie voxels appear in straight rows, and the more you subdivide, the heavier the render and the less it looks like a gas sprite and more solid. I want the smoke working and moving on the face before it settles to solid skin. Also the sprite or even volume looks like solid powder rather than gas at the fine level. any sufggestions. Thanks Rida .

Mr Rid
03-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Maybe consider animating your character action in reverse so that first particles emit from the character then use winds and attractors to pull the smoke into the bottle, which may be easier than trying to attract particles from the initial plume to a figure.

Also, you can use any arrangement of points or polys in the shape of your character (disabled or dissolved out 100%) as the emitter/attractor so you are not restricted to the density of your actual character geometry.

figure as emitter examples-
http://www.box.net/shared/static/4ld0kttmto.mov
http://www.box.net/shared/static/6vj10kdipp.mov

When attracting particles, may clone the attractor mesh and make one of them a collision.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/5fqsftydcw.mov

You should get different results when you Calculate vs not Calculating. Sometimes one is more desirable than the other.

May also need multiple emitters for different behaviors and maybe combine them in post. 2D is your friend.

Mr Rid
03-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Would there be a way to do something like that without post work?

You could, but if it is easier or allows more control in 2D, then do it in 2D. Lets say you get the envelopes in 3D working a certain way and render out a time-consuming voxel render. Then maybe you change your mind or the client asks for different timing of the dissolve, then you have to re-render the whole thing. Whereas in 2D, a dissolve is a minor tweak and a very quick re-render.

Stooch
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
You shouldnt have to use alot of subdivisions, if you jitter the points via normal displacement it will get rid of the rows effect. you just have to make sure to jitter using a multiple of your framerate. ie, each jitter step might be 1/30 for 30fps.

also consider not using voxels for the geenie at all. if you jitter displacements on any geometry and use high AA settings, your objects will appear volumetric. try that if the voxels still dont work for you. you could animate the displacement amplitude to coalesce the genies body over time as well.

the displacement jittering is key to getting your voxels/geometry to blend. I havent had much success in using attractors with LW thats usually when i just make a beeline for realflow :)

Stooch, I have made excellent progress in the initial particle emittance from the lantern forming general shapes of body and bulky shoulders and head. Now for the more detailed work. Problem: very heavy rendering with not the best results- using HV of the genie voxels appear in straight rows, and the more you subdivide, the heavier the render and the less it looks like a gas sprite and more solid. I want the smoke working and moving on the face before it settles to solid skin. Also the sprite or even volume looks like solid powder rather than gas at the fine level. any sufggestions. Thanks Rida .

Stooch
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
double post.