PDA

View Full Version : LightWave on Mac Pro

wphowell
02-12-2008, 06:56 PM
The NewTek website says they only support G4/G5 Macs, but the new Mac Pros are Intel. Does LightWave work on the new Mac Pros? We're looking to buy one and would like to run LightWave natively; not interested in running Windows on this new system.

Thanks,

Pete

JeffrySG
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes, LW9.3 and above are available as UB versions. Keep in mind that there are many plug-ins that have not been re-compiled as UB plug-ins yet.

wphowell
02-12-2008, 09:48 PM
What do you mean by "UB Version"?

Haven1000
02-13-2008, 01:22 AM
It stands for Universal Binary

see here: http://www.apple.com/uk/universal/

kopperdrake
02-13-2008, 03:07 AM
You can also consider buying an Intel Mac and running the Windows version of LightWave in Bootcamp until more plugins become available for the UB version of LightWave - then hop over when all's ready. It would mean buying a versio of Windows though :!

JeffrySG
02-13-2008, 08:01 AM
I've been running on my MacPro for many months now and have been very happy... some little bugs around (with HUB) but it's been very workable.

Steamthrower
02-13-2008, 09:42 AM
You won't be able to use Sasquatch or Fprime. That's the biggest hurdle for folks.

bethel
02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
I've been running on my MacPro for many months now and have been very happy... some little bugs around (with HUB) but it's been very workable.

I teach Lightwave in high school and currently use G5s in the lab, LW 9.3. So far, not a lot of issues or problems. We are switching over the the new aluminium iMacs next year (intel) and from testing a couple of these iMacs I've noticed some disturbing open GL issues. Have you come across any? For example, when the object is loaded in layout, along with the regular handles, there is a huge handle on screen. It doesn't seem to interfere with the general workings of the program, but seriously distracting. Also, when you put layers in the background the object in the foreground turned into a bunch of points in Modeler. I'm concerned about this because unless Apple updates the video cards on these machines, the iMacs are not upgradeable. Please let me know if you have any info on open GL issues with the new intel aluminium iMacs. Thanks!

AC Ashe

JeffrySG
02-13-2008, 01:05 PM
^I've heard of some of those problems but I have not experienced any of them on my MacPro (I'm using the ATI-X1900). I'm not sure what vid card is in the iMac. You might want to join the openbeta program (free) and then you can join the openbeta discussion (at the very bottom of these forums). I know there was some talk about those issues there. Chilton (who is one of the Mac programmers) might have more and better info for you.

brian.coates
02-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Apparently the 'big handle bug' is caused by an incompatibility with the stock nVidia card that the iMac comes with.

Last I heard the problem is being looked into, but as far as I know there's no fix or work-around.

kretschi
02-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Lightwave 9.3.1 UB is very unstable on my new Mac Pro! It seems that every update gets just more bugs... the app needs much longer to load than LW on my old Mac. ... now I am looking for alternatives for LW! A look at Blender or Modo gives a much better feel...

:agree:

pixym
02-13-2008, 05:53 PM
You should mention LW on Mac Pro UNDER OS X.
I have an octo-core mac INTEL pro that work fine under win 32…

GATOR
02-13-2008, 06:40 PM
I've been running 9.2 for months on my 8-core with few issues. I've found 9.3 to be very unstable and use it only for rendering.

I REALLY am looking forward to 9.4 that run stable and the hub is functional. I use this program 3-4 hours a day and it's a shame 9.3 doesn't work.

Also, a shame the modeler on 9.3 UB only taps into one processor. Sure, running 8 in layout is nice, but I get some big lag-times and hang ups on complex models in UB 9.3. That's why I work in 9.2.

I imagine they're working on it. Right?

kretschi
02-13-2008, 07:23 PM
... also the Help system in 9.3 OSX UB doesn't work... the Flash help in the ppc version was much better (and faster...)

archijam
02-14-2008, 01:40 AM
Lightwave 9.3.1 UB is very unstable on my new Mac Pro! It seems that every update gets just more bugs... the app needs much longer to load than LW on my old Mac. ... now I am looking for alternatives for LW! A look at Blender or Modo gives a much better feel...

:agree:

I haven't had those problems, the only glitches I had were with calculating massive particle scenes ..

The load time of LW depends only on the size of the scene here .. strange.

I agree about your later help point, it's not what it used to be (or maybe needs to be installed manually ...)

j.

meshpig
02-15-2008, 03:15 AM
... also the Help system in 9.3 OSX UB doesn't work... the Flash help in the ppc version was much better (and faster...)

In the install .rtf there is a blurb about setting the path to activate the help in 9.3.1.

m

meshpig
02-15-2008, 03:20 AM
I've been running 9.2 for months on my 8-core with few issues. I've found 9.3 to be very unstable and use it only for rendering.

I REALLY am looking forward to 9.4 that run stable and the hub is functional. I use this program 3-4 hours a day and it's a shame 9.3 doesn't work.

Also, a shame the modeler on 9.3 UB only taps into one processor. Sure, running 8 in layout is nice, but I get some big lag-times and hang ups on complex models in UB 9.3. That's why I work in 9.2.

I imagine they're working on it. Right?

The first thing I did on UB/dual core iMac was max out modeler and was happy with zero lag-time @ 250 000+ polys, some @ 350K +.

m:)

Vujaka
02-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Meshpig

how do you work Lw on mac? Do you just use Bootcamp or is this all Mac OS? I got my MacPro today, and I want to get everything sorted so I can run good 'ol Lightwave.

archijam
02-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Vujaka - run both if you like .. The LW install is forgivingly small, and I've had no dongle issues ..

You can also have 'both' versions of the mac LW installed if you find plugs are missing for the UB version .. it will just render a little slower in the PowerPC version .. share 1 copy of the plugin and textures directory and you're off :) !

j.

Vujaka
02-15-2008, 08:32 AM
I have heard something of a 20 gig limit, is this for bootcamp? Where can I get info on sharing a dir? (are you talking about sharing a folder as straightforward as windows sharing? )

O brother 20 questions!

3dworks
02-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I have heard something of a 20 gig limit, is this for bootcamp? Where can I get info on sharing a dir? (are you talking about sharing a folder as straightforward as windows sharing? )

O brother 20 questions!

have a look here: http://www.macwindows.com/

and then there are many threads on most mac specific sites about this, like macfixit.com or xlr8yourmac.com etc.

cheers

markus

archijam
02-15-2008, 08:40 AM
The limit is for either NTFS or FAT32 from memory .. you have to chose which file system ..

One is better for access from OSX (correct me if I'm mistaken), and each have their characteristics, best google them.

Are you running Leopard or Tiger?

j.

Vujaka
02-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Running Leopard. With a limit of 20 gig in xp on mac, isn't that a bit cumbersome?

Vujaka
02-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Ah, on the Apple Bootcamp FAQ there's this: "If the partition is 32 GB or smaller, you can use either FAT or NTFS. If it's larger than 32 GB, then you can only format it using NTFS. Mac OS X can read and write FAT volumes, but only read NTFS volumes. Refer to the Microsoft Windows documentation if you are not sure which best suits your needs."

So I guess it's fine as long as you go with NTFS. Now off to look for pro's and cons..

meshpig
02-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Meshpig

how do you work Lw on mac? Do you just use Bootcamp or is this all Mac OS? I got my MacPro today, and I want to get everything sorted so I can run good 'ol Lightwave.

Meshpig

V

You mean you are coming from PC to Mac pro?

I'm using UB 9.3.1 running Leopard 10.5.2.

-With Bootcamp, you'll need XP64 or Vista installed. 9.2 runs normally on XP 32 but you've probably got all that so you can go LW either way.

m

meshpig
02-16-2008, 03:17 AM
Ah, on the Apple Bootcamp FAQ there's this: "If the partition is 32 GB or smaller, you can use either FAT or NTFS. If it's larger than 32 GB, then you can only format it using NTFS. Mac OS X can read and write FAT volumes, but only read NTFS volumes. Refer to the Microsoft Windows documentation if you are not sure which best suits your needs."

So I guess it's fine as long as you go with NTFS. Now off to look for pro's and cons..

PC emulators like parallels or vmfusion are lightweight drag and drops which might help? As in run windows/osx simultaneously.

I use XP/bootcamp mostly for PC only games and haven't fully looked into the shared folder options.

m

Vujaka
02-16-2008, 04:41 AM
Yes I have windows Xp 32. And yes coming from Pc to Mac. I have configured the partition to 100gig, but it's fat32. I'm not sure that is possible..but I'll know more once I can finalize the installation.

meshpig
02-16-2008, 05:59 AM
Yes I have windows Xp 32. And yes coming from Pc to Mac. I have configured the partition to 100gig, but it's fat32. I'm not sure that is possible..but I'll know more once I can finalize the installation.

It isn't hard to repartition. Bootcamp was beta on Tiger so I wouldn't like to say.

Anyway, you're in macville now!!!

m

kopperdrake
02-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Best way for file sharing I've found is just use a NAS drive. I've got a Freecom NAS Pro 500Gb and it's seen fine by my Mac (in OS or Windows) and my other PCs...all my content is on there and all writes go to there - no faffing around with file systems on the Mac then :)