PDA

View Full Version : Someones working on a Gelato Plugin for Lightwave

eagleeyed
02-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Hey everyone, was just browsing the Gelato forums when I came across this forum post, it seems someone (SoulExertion) is trying to right a plugin for lightwave. Here is his post, original can be found here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=33857&hl=lightwave

Due to recently acquiring some free time, I've begun working on a (currently) simple LightWave plugin that will export LightWave (Cameras, Lights and Mesh objects) Scenes to Gelato in its not-so native PYG file fromat. I'm creating this primarily for personal use, though, I will share a basic version thereof after it matures to a usable state.

I've named it Pistachio, as Spin99 aptly suggested, in part, because it seems an appropriate name, and oddly, I do love pistachios, especially pistachio pudding

I'd love to get some help with this though. My coding's going rather easy (I've a very good knowlede of C/C++ languages), but, i'm having trouble getting to grips with Gelato's scene description language and the differences between LightWave and Gelato's coordinate, translation and rotation systems. Any help would, in fact, be greatly appreciated.

I personally dont know much about the workings of LW, so I would be of no assistance, but if anyone else thinks they could help he can be found on the Gelato Forums.

zapper1998
02-12-2008, 06:07 PM
wow cool

eagleeyed
02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
I thought so, just imagine if this is accomplished how much faster the render times could be, even a few seconds per frame would help massively with a massive render.

RedBull
02-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I thought so, just imagine if this is accomplished how much faster the render times could be, even a few seconds per frame would help massively with a massive render.

Have you seen the quality from Gelato, thanks but i will stick with just about any other render engine... :) Cool toy, but not a production renderer.

beverins
02-12-2008, 06:48 PM
newtek needs to help this man out!!!

eagleeyed
02-13-2008, 12:41 AM
I did believe that, but I am starting to realise I am kinda misguided on this topic, I think i might have a real good sniff around and try and find out the real facts, because I am starting to think it is not as good as I believed it to be.

RedBull
02-13-2008, 12:53 AM
I did believe that, but I am starting to realise I am kinda misguided on this topic, I think i might have a real good sniff around and try and find out the real facts, because I am starting to think it is not as good as I believed it to be.

It's nice to see someone from the community, Nvidia or LW that is taking up the challenge of writing a converter, with decent C or scripting tools, it should be quite doable... LW's SDK and scene files, are quite workable at doing translations. It's just usually such a tedious job.

There are at least 6 decent open source ray-tracing (many physical based) engines that LW should have converters for, it's a sign of the decline in userbase IMO. Blender, Houdini, Max, Maya and now XSI have a wealth of free scripts for external render engines, but LW lacks most of them.

So it's a good thing that someone is adding Gelato.....It's good for Newtek that when people go to the Nvidia site, they see an option for Lightwave Exporter, that will bode well for NT and LW in sales and morale.

I see FBX or Collada as the most important thing we need not just in LW, but for all 3D/2D products. This means that writers of renderers like Gelato or Indigo, would offer FBX support, rather than a need for a different importer/exporter for every host application.

RedBull
02-13-2008, 01:07 AM
In the rendering department, I think NewTek could invest time better in OpenGL normal maps, better displacement and bucket rendering. And while were at it, dump VIPER and replace with it something like the interactive previewer in modo. I'm not talking an FPrime equivalent here, just a simple previewer with no AA and capacity for rendering final frames, it's scope should simply be interactive scene prewing.

Those would be good areas to invest time in.

I agree with most of your suggestions, but having support for other renderers is important for LW, and the community (it gives them something to do and talk about while NT are busy.... :)

At the moment FBX which i hate because it's an Autodesk standard now, is just working very well for me between Modo 301 and Houdini 9.1, meanwhile I cannot send anything back and forth between Lightwave and say Blender....
Lightwave needs to improve it's communication between other applications. It's the only way to attract other users of other programs to include LW in their pipeline.

I should be able to export a fluidsim from Houdini or Blender and just import to LW to render and surface, perhaps even export to Gelato and Indigo. otherwise people will just, transition to the tools that do.

Unfortunately FBX does this, and i only expect more 3rd party open source renderer's and programs that won't have LW support without a universal standard. LW doesn't have the comminity of script and plugin writers it once did.

Speedmonk42
02-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Tigerdirect in Canada had a Q6600+motherboard+4GB of 800DDR2 for 399.

Gelato? Raspberry please.

kopperdrake
02-13-2008, 02:59 AM
Out of curiosity, what *are* the limitations? I can see some good looking images in their gallery.