PDA

View Full Version : Help with CelShader? Anyone?

7.62mm
02-21-2003, 09:38 PM
I notice that 88 people took a look at my last posting about this, but no one could be bothered to offer a couple words of advice....

So I'll try again... can anyone please tell me how to get high gloss highlights on the eyes using celshader. somebody's gotta know....

so how 'bout it?

TerryFord
02-22-2003, 05:19 AM
Unreal Xtreme handles specular very well (it has nice sliders to control size), provided there is some spec in the standard LW surface control. If you're not using Unreal then... um... try using Unreal...

...or! A thin transparent surface over the eye that has high spec and medium gloss...

Regards,
Terry

7.62mm
02-22-2003, 09:53 AM
alright. thanks for the tips!

good to know some people are still on this forum to help eachother out.

Hiraghm
02-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Don't take it so personal. I read you message and didn't bother to reply because I don't know much about cel shading myself yet. Don't assume that because 88 people read and didn't reply that 88 didn't care...

My only suggestion would be to maybe try an image map on the goggles.

Judas cow
02-22-2003, 03:04 PM
Try making the eye's color texture a light incidence gradient-- make it black at 0.0 and white at 90.0-- add more keys in between to fine tune to your liking (and don't forget to assign it to a light). I just did a quick test in Lightwave and it works great.

Murphy
02-23-2003, 05:18 PM
OK I am a realy big anime fan so allot of the stuff i do uses super celshader.

First thing you have to do is put the specular level of the surfcace to 100 percent.

Now when you go into the super celshader you will notice that at the bottom there is a section for specular highlights.

Min & Max: This is just like the Min and Max for the other celshader sections. It diffines the Edge of the specular highlight. I like sharp edges so i usualy use "Min 50" & "Max 50" but I knoticed you have soft edges so i would prabably be best to leave them at "Min 30" "Max 50"

Brightness: This diffiness how bright the highlight is. Celshader works differently to normal rendering. Insted of adding the highlight over the suface the highlight just brightens the surface as a percentage based on the original difuse colour. the colour of the eyes on your model are so dark you will have to set the brightness to something bizar like "500%" or mabey more.

Saturation: The saturation diffines how much of the Diffuse colour leeks into the highlight. It you want a realy bright highlight I suggest setting the Saturation to "0%"

I hope this helps you in some way. You will prabably have to do a bit of tweeking a play around with the settings to get a feel for how the affect each other.

Anyways i will see you latter.

Murphy.

Murphy
02-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Oh I forgot to metion.

Try not to make your difuse to dark. BLACK IS A BIG NO NO !!!

And specular highlights in Super Celshader are affected by shadows.

Se Ya

Murphy ^_^

7.62mm
02-23-2003, 06:41 PM
thanks to all who posted.

Murphy in particular. I had to set the brightness to 2000% to get it like this!! heh.:D

tnyplz
02-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Sweet Character by the way.
Tony

Tom Winnicki
02-23-2003, 09:45 PM
I wish Terrence Walker hanged around here.

J.Barr
02-24-2003, 04:37 PM
I was going to say use alight incedence gradient too, I use unreal extreme cel shader in combination with light incedence gradient a lot. also, i use the multiply mode for the shading and highlights, to make shadows warmer or cooler or whatever the case may be. heres a couple of my examples.
JB

J.Barr
02-24-2003, 04:49 PM
and another (can you post more than 1 pic at a time??)

Murphy
02-25-2003, 04:33 AM
Hey J.B Thats some nice work and I have to agree that Incedence (and other) gradients are priceless for cel rendered images.
I find that the Incedence gradients are great for creating 2D cel looking reflections.
I have made a Dodge Viper (not another one i here you say. As if the newtek forum needs any more) But i have cel renderded mine and used Incedence for the windscreen wich i think looks realy good. (I will post it when I find an easy way to get the redered images from my G4 work computer to my PC internet computer)
^_^ (unfortunately i dont know how to do a ascii anime style swet drop or vein pop)

Murphy

J.Barr
02-25-2003, 04:26 PM
http://club.pep.ne.jp/~hiroette/en/facemarks/index.html

Murphy
02-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the link man... That site is awsome.

I am going to have so much fun. (^_^;)

(please note the swet drop on the face above)

Thanks JB

Murphy

Murphy
02-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Damn VB and it's irritating auto-smilies.
Lets try that again.

(^_^;)

Once again thank-you JB