PDA

View Full Version : 3D Animation tools advice

lynxlab
07-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Hello,
I have been asked to make a 3d animation of some satellite antennas. I have SolidWorks drawings of the antennas which I want to import into a 3d animation package along with elevation data of the terrain of the site, and then make a movie that shows a flyby of the site, and if possible also shows the antennas tracking a satellite. I downloaded the evaluation versions of Rhino 3d and Maya. I can get the elevation data into Rhino as a beautiful surface, but it seems that Rhino is not so good for animation. I cant get anything to import into the evaluation copy of Maya.
My question is: which 3d animation package do you think is the best for my application. I heard that both Lightwave and 3dStudio Max were good for this type of thing, and have also come across Maya. Lightwave is the most cost friendly for students and 3dStudio Max isn't too far behind. Reading forums it seems that 3dStudio is somewhat buggy, so maybe it's not the best choice. I just don't want to buy a package and then find out it can't do what I need to.
Thank you in advance, Glenn

kevman3d
07-15-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by lynxlab
I downloaded the evaluation versions of Rhino 3d and Maya.

You sorta answered your own question - Get evaluation versions of Lightwave and 3DSMax and find out for yourself. :)

I can't really answer that question for you - Yes, LightWave, Maya and Max can do what you want - As can Truespace, Cinema4D, StrataStudio and several other 3D products that I can't recall off the top of my head right at the moment.

Most have demos as well...