PDA

View Full Version : poly problem

belanagy
02-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Can somebody help me?

I am trying to follow Dan Ablanís tutorial found in Inside LightWave 7. I am supposed to import an EPS file to make a 3D logo. When I import it I get these connecting lines from one curve to another. According to Dan when I select the three letters I should have 5 polys selected. I have 156 instead. (I can also see these connecting lines when I use LWCAD)

Any idea what is happening?
Thanks for your help.

voriax
02-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Could be when you're importing the eps file, change the options at the top from `closed polys and poly lines' to just `closed polys', or whichever you need.
Closed polys on its own will just give you the 4 poly shapes, but with the poly lines as well, you get a 2-point poly between each vertice. You probably don't need them.
I haven't got LW handy to double-check the wording on that, but seems to me that would be the problem.

Maxx
02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah, it sounds like you've got the 'Convert To:' option set to Line Polygons. Also note that by the time you hit step 8 where Dan talks about selecting the 5 polygons, he's re-imported the object without "Auto AxisDrill" enabled in the Importer dialog box. This'll give you the outlines of the a, b, and c, as well as the holes in the a & b - totaling 5 polygons. IMHO, the .eps Importer should not be used with Auto Axis enabled - modeler gets confused too easily when you use even moderately complex paths. Just import all the paths and take the additional minute or two it takes to cut the holes, paste them into the background layer, and drill the suckers through the letters in the first layer.

belanagy
02-14-2008, 01:21 AM
voriax and Maxx, I thank you very much for your help.