PDA

View Full Version : "Out of memory while rendering" driving me crazy

wesball
02-12-2008, 12:08 AM
I keep getting this error after rendering. It's terribly frustrating because everything starts just fine, frames are successfully render, I leave everything alone... then I get back to find the render has stopped several hours ago, and a little tiny dialogue greets me "Out of memory while rendering".

Now... I have a Mac Pro. 4 gigs of ram.

I'm including a screencap of the render window for poly count and stuff. Not sure if it helps anything, but I changed my Segment Memory Limit from 32megs to 512 megs, then to 2000 megs... still does it.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. I'm stuck.

Sarford
02-12-2008, 06:28 AM
did you try to render without any surfaces? Maybe its a corrupt texturemap?

Is it always at the same point that it stops? Is it always with the same object(s) in the scene? Does it also stops with (totaly) other scene's?

wesball
02-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Still not sure what was going on.

I was using a weight map to drive the subpatch density. I think that had something to do with it.

Giacomo99
02-22-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm getting the same problem--it seems to have something to do with the image size. The most infuriating part is that it renders the entire image and then returns the "out of memory while rendering" error when it tries to save them image to disk.

Please advise. Mac Pro, 8GB RAM.

toby
02-23-2008, 11:19 PM
You want to decrease you segment memory limit, not increase it. The lower you set it the more segments your image will be render in, requiring less ram at any one time. Try reducing it until 'Segments :' says 2 or 3, you can do as many as you need.

cvrak
03-24-2008, 02:25 AM
I have the same problem.
I have a scene with a volcano and a lava flow (volumetrics object).
After 150-170 frames Lightwave freezes and I have to start rendering again.
I noticed that in task manager the memoty usage increases with every rendered frame, and when it reaches 1.8 Gb (2 GB installed), Lightwave freezes. Is this normal? seems to me that all data from every frame are hold in memory, eventhough they are rendered.

Pls advise

Andrewstopheles
03-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Are you rendering to a movie file or to a frame sequence?

Jim M
03-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Also flush any unused images.
+ don't have unnecessarily large textures.

ary3d
03-28-2008, 07:47 PM
After 150-170 frames Lightwave freezes and I have to start rendering again.
I noticed that in task manager the memoty usage increases with every rendered frame, and when it reaches 1.8 GB

in windows 32 bit system the memory limit per application has a max of 2 gigs, when this happend LW crash, win 64 with a virtual memory of 8 gig is Enough for almost everything, I have 2 gig of ram, but with windows I can change the amount of virtual memory, I rendered a 4000x1700 pixel image and was Impossible in win 32, then swich to win 64 and no problems ( the render was consuming 4 gig o memory)

also if you are making a final render I recomend you to turn off the image viewer, because every frame you are rendering is storing in memory

greetings, David

markschum
03-28-2008, 09:22 PM
If you are doing animations I would render to sequences of still frames. The application should not retain the memory allocated once the frame is saved, so the memory demand is fairly stable. An avi file needs more memory to buffer saving the animation .

Scazzino
03-28-2008, 09:31 PM
There may be a memory leak in LW UB 9.3.1. I've been running into a similar situation where I can render a still once, but then on the second attempt it runs out of RAM, as if all the RAM is not being cleared between renders. On an animation that could cause it to run out of RAM somewhere during the sequence render...

:compbeati