PDA

View Full Version : Bone strength question

medicalart
02-11-2008, 07:57 PM
(see photo)

I've got a worm shape and rig, but the bones are influencing nearby surfaces. I've played with
falloff type, limited range & strength but am still having unwanted bone influence. Any suggestions how to get cleaner bone influence?

(I was using PLG-curve but that introduced a host of other problems, so this is just basic LW question for now. Thanks. )

ercaxus
02-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Have you tried weight maps?

evenflcw
02-12-2008, 05:48 AM
If that is your rest pose than I understand why you are getting unwanted influence and deformation. If you would've started with a straight line the bones would not bleed their influence allover the place. You should be able to further limit the influence by decreasing the rest length, changing falloff type...

Mind you your rest pose for setting bone influence does not have to coincide with your "rest pose for ik" (the one where you rotate the bones to let ik know the prefered rotation direction). And this is why the hardcoded "go to frame 0" on many of the bone tools is dumb and limiting.

medicalart
02-12-2008, 06:56 AM
Haven't done weight maps.

Evenflcw, I did start with a straight line--and you're right--there wasn't the "bleed" problem with bone influence. However, I couldn't get the curves I needed either, so I tried a curved rest pose.

I'll keep working on it. Thanks.

pooby
02-12-2008, 07:10 AM
I'd definately rest it straight If i were you. That's going to be a nightmare otherwise

adamredwoods
02-19-2008, 01:42 PM
mdart:

In your quest to get your DNA to move and twist, I forgot aobut this technique as well:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/property_web.mov
It uses morphs with bones as a path for movement.

Someone else posted it recently, and I'll put it here for future forum archeologists.

medicalart
02-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks for posting. I have used that technique in other situations as well.

medicalart
02-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I've been over that video by Proton a dozen times but I don't know why this isn't working ( deforming an object using morph mixer and bones.) I've used it on other occasions successfully, but something isn't working. I've attached the simple scene: one object and 5 bones--very basic. If anyone can troubleshoot that would be great. AdamRW posted the link to the video.

I've reloaded the plug-in into my LW 9.3.1, too.

pooby
02-21-2008, 01:29 AM
I havent seen your scene yet, as Im not at a LW enabled machine, but I will hazard a guess that you haven't switched on 'Use morphed positions' in the bone panel of the object.

medicalart
02-21-2008, 07:27 AM
I have selected "Use morphed positions". Turned bones on. Allowed deform. Reset rotation angles. Applied morph mixer. For some reason, if I "rest" the first bone, then I get some deformation. If I rest them all, no deformation.

medicalart
02-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, finally figured out what the problem is after hours and hours of testing.
All of the settings were correct. The problem was that I wasn't using bones from the correct layer. The bone properties pane has a pull-down menu which is too narrow to show the whole name. It needs to be wider to accomodate file name AND layer name. As it stands now it is too narrow to accomodate them so I pulled down the menu thinking I had assigned the right bones.
(I have the same gripe with the object properties pane: the "current object" name (pull-down menu) should be at the TOP of the pane, plainly in view. I've posted this in suggestions discussion)