PDA

View Full Version : clip maps?

CritterCreator
02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I know this is an old subject because I looked it up on the search feature.
I have tried to look this one up in the Lightwave Help feature, and in the Essential Lightwave v9 book, but can't find it.
I am still not clear about HOW to set up a clip map.
Just trying to put lots of leaves on a tree with a clip map.
Thanks so much

Etch
02-12-2008, 10:32 AM
In layout if you open the object properties under one of the tabs is a place that says "Clip Map [T]" That's where you put in the texture.

Greenlaw
02-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi,

Just a little extra info: As Etch points out, Clip Map is an object property and not a surface property. If you haven't used clip maps before, the important thing to understand is that this feature really does affect geometry, so it's typically used more like a modeling tool than a shading tool. As such, clip maps can render much faster than transparency and you won't face the problem with layered transparency.

The 'downside' is that it's single bit; you can load a grayscale image, but it will be 'clipped' to single bit when you render. Lightwave will still anti-alias the result at the render level though, just not at the source level, which usually isn't much of an issue but it's something to be aware of.

You may already know this but if you're using a clip map for leaves on a tree, you should UV map your original leaf before cloning it. For optimal efficiency, the leaves can all share identical UV space.

One more thing: because Clip Map is an object property, it doesn't carry over with an object when you import it to a scene. However, if you make a scene with just the clip mapped object, you can do a Load From Scene to preserve the clip map setting. (Someday, I hope NewTek will allow us to save out a Clip Map settings file or at least add Clip Map settings in the Presets window.)

Hope you find this info helpful.

DRG

CritterCreator
02-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Wow!
thank you for your time and detailed help. It quite an honor for me to recieve help from a pro like you. I am teaching 3D Animation to high school students and, even though I spend hours at home every night learning new techniques to teach them, it is always an uphill climb. They do enthusiasticly appreciate it
Thanks again....my humble appreciation.