PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk brewing up a ''shock''

cresshead
02-11-2008, 11:39 AM
read here
http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_ken/blog_detail/tick_tock_almost_time_for_a_shock/

or read the quote below..:-
Just wanted you all to have a head's up that there will be lots of surprises this week and that I want you to tune into this blog for some explanations and discussion.

so have autodesk bought lightwave?:devil:

JeffrySG
02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I think they struck a deal to buy Maya. Because they now have bought so many applications they forgot that they already own Maya and have spent the past 6 month negotiating with themselves to buy their own application. I hope it works out for them.... ;)

cresshead
02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
or...they may have bought Vue....
or....Finally a PLE version of 3dsmax!
or they have bought MODO!!! [ha ha!]
or they have bought Houdini???

or....they'll announce the killing of MAYA and 3dsmax to make way for their replacement app.

they may even buy Xsi...[why not!]

evenflcw
02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh no. I hope they didn't integrate Notepad. That would wipe out the competition completely!

Chris S. (Fez)
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Max is still the best-selling 3D application so I assume it is safe. I'm thinkin they are gonna cannibalize Maya. Sweet!

cresshead
02-11-2008, 11:50 AM
inane speculation is boring.

gee get yourself over to the lw beta list....loads of speculation there!:D :beta:

gerry_g
02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Let me guess, they have this whole new shiny product does everything even cleans your teeth and takes out the trash, called...............MayaMaxl !!

Steamthrower
02-11-2008, 12:01 PM
They bought Anim8or.

www.anim8or.com

cresshead
02-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Let me guess, they have this whole new shiny product does everything even cleans your teeth and takes out the trash, called...............MayaMaxl !!

nahh that's a dentist and a 'wife'....:D
ideal would be a a wife who is a dental hygenist!
or a refuse collector wife!

gjjackson
02-11-2008, 01:32 PM
I Suspect they'll discontinue 3DSMax.

Steamthrower
02-11-2008, 01:43 PM
I Suspect they'll discontinue 3DSMax.

I seriously doubt that...they're not intelligent enough to sell one 3D app instead of two competing ones...besides, after owning Anim8or, what more do they need? :D

alvin_cgi
02-11-2008, 01:53 PM
“There's an M&M in everyone. Create an Inner M character that looks just like you!”

Yeah… the new product from Autodesk is called M&M (aka Maya and Max…).

Here is the link…

http://www.mms.com/us/

http://us.mms.com/us/fungames/tv/

Enjoy.:D

IMI
02-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Maybe they're selling max and maya to Taco Bell or Dubai World. :D

Steamthrower
02-11-2008, 02:13 PM
News flash! Bulletin from Autodesk CEO!

To Whom It May Concern,

Here at Autodesk we've had a long and well-respected history in the computer industry. We've pioneered entire fields of digital industries, from building and design to film and TV. We're proud of our reputation.

Yet as many of you know, the fiscal earnings of Autodesk have steadily decreased over the past few quarters. After intensive studies and consultations with renowned financiers, economists, and entrepreneurs, the board has come to a decision to make a drastic change in the way Autodesk conducts business.

We don't want to be perceived as the "big bad guy" that some users through the industry have tended to imply. So we've made a major decision to completey reverse that comprehension and be the "good guy". After careful thought we decided that the best way to do this would be change fields completely. Autodesk will embark on a 6-month long "merger plan" in which we will sell off major product lines and holdings and buy into other holdings.

Ultimately we plan on selling off several products (Maya, Max, AutoCad, Combustion, Inventor) and buying several holdings that convey "good guys" to the general public (Ringling Bros., TCBY, The Wiggles). We're going to do some major things in the upcoming year - so stay tuned.

Good luck and have a great year,
Carl Bass
CEO, Autodesk, Inc.

I mean, what a bad executive decision. Clowns are scary.

Captain Obvious
02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
New feature in next version of 3dsmax: modeling!

Matt
02-11-2008, 04:00 PM
read here
http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_ken/blog_detail/tick_tock_almost_time_for_a_shock/

or read the quote below..:-
Just wanted you all to have a head's up that there will be lots of surprises this week and that I want you to tune into this blog for some explanations and discussion.

so have autodesk bought lightwave?:devil:

Bah! 3DSMax forum, traitor! ;)

:D

calilifestyle
02-11-2008, 04:47 PM
im sorry but what is going one here. the link doesn't send me to any news about max may or anything. Any one care to send me a link

cresshead
02-11-2008, 04:50 PM
''brewing'' doesn't mean it's ready to drink ''just yet''
....all good things come to those who wait ...including the next lightwave beta...
[[Had to sneak that one in!]]

alvin_cgi
02-11-2008, 05:25 PM
This is sad, really sad... people (LW users) are more excited to Autodesk news than LW, another warning sign for NT.:devil:

Hopper
02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
This is sad, really sad... people (LW users) are more excited to Autodesk news than LW, another warning sign for NT.:devil:
First, there has to be LW news.

Wickster
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Microsoft just bought Caligari (TrueSpace). Things are shaking in the 3D industry again.

Matt
02-11-2008, 06:33 PM

I'm not excited at all!

Steamthrower
02-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Naw, makes no difference in my life seeing that I've boycotted Autodesk. Except where I'm forced to use it at work.

mattclary
02-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Maybe they plan to lower the prices a bit?

AbnRanger
02-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Maybe they plan to lower the prices a bit?oooh...now that would be sassy :D

RollerJesus
02-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I work between two guys that are Autocad users for over 15 years each. I showed them (with LWCAD) Lightwave the other day and they were laughing having so much fun with it.

They're so fed up with dealing with Autodesk, that everyday I hear them wishing to find the Autocad developers on the street.

AbnRanger
02-11-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm going to try and take somewhat of an educated guess here. It's about the normal time for subcription users to get their hands on the .5 release...new tools for Max and Maya.
I read a small article in 3D World a few months back, where Autodesk had bought rights to the technology of a company that specializes in realtime interactive visualization. It seemed that the target for it was more for Alias Studio and AD Inventor...but it can't be a coincidence that Max got Reviewer in the 2008 release (still no match for FPrime in any sense, but much better viewport lighting and shadows).

So my guess is that subscription owners will get a bag of goodies (especially Max users....they DOUBLED the development staff last fall), and some kind of interactive preview improvements may be part of it. With Autodesk being widely criticized over the lackluster additions to Max 2008...perhaps this is just the fix many users were jones'ing for...CUDA maybe?

Holomatix would be an excellent acquisition for AD, IMO, since it supports MR shaders in both Max and Maya, and would provide an FPrime-esque renderer right out out of the box. Essentially hiring a Steve Worley clone to work for them FT. The other advantage to this would be having Holomatix drop work on porting it to XSI...leaving them as the only program without an interactive preview renderer available.
I can hear XSI users cursing now :cursin:

Chris S. (Fez)
02-12-2008, 12:03 PM
The "shock" is a new release: Max 2009. Free for folks on subscription.

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_ken/blog_detail/3ds_max_design_and_3ds_max_2009_announced/

Also, they are splitting Max into 2 different versions: Design and Entertainment. Ho hum.

cresshead
02-12-2008, 12:35 PM
looks interesting!

what the biped things are i'm not too sure but at least they seem to be developing it still which is always good news!

Steamthrower
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
WOW! A NEW RELEASE! O SHOCK!

Not.

cresshead
02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
and subscribers get both installers and can run any one, one at a time...
you cannot have both installed on 1 the same pc at the same time as they key off of the same licence.

the low down is that they have in 6 months of development created a design specific version of 3ds max and so will be looking to retire/no longer promote 3dsviz as a design product in the near future...and with 6 months more passing i'd also be expecting further update for 3dsmax2009 specifically for the animation media side rather than the design side which this announcement is really all about...

also good to see that biped has ongoing developments too.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Kind of anticlimactic, but I can't complain because I am on subscription. If Autodesk ever finally sees fit to add bendy bones and stretchy IK to biped I will name my firstborn Max.

Reveal sounds...strange. Who gives a **** about "optimizing" with render engines like Fprime and Rendition available. For the record, pass management in Max is miserable. Take note Newtek. Integrated Fprime-friendly pass management would make Lightwave a monster.

In any case, I consider this an opening for Newtek to provide a real "shock." Bring on 9.X.

parm
02-12-2008, 01:55 PM
As to the future, I'm restricted to what I can say, but I think we've learned to be extremely careful with deciding that one feature is only useful by one market. If we are to create any further feature differentiation between the two, we'll do it very carefully and check with customers before doing it. Our policy is to ensure that you're never forced to need both to get the job done.

Hilarious that.

The easy way to ensure it, Would be not split it into two apps!

I wonder what way they'll find to split Mudbox.

Steamthrower
02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Mud 2008 and Box 2008. Easy. One for sculpting and one for exporting. Any corporate drone could figure that out.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Mud 2008 and Box 2008. Easy. One for sculpting and one for exporting. Any corporate drone could figure that out.

Lol. Makes me appreciate privately owned Newtek.

Dirk
02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm reading through this thead and thinking "Is this an april fool's joke?"

:jester: :goodluck:

Oh, I see the light now. That's the way, Newtek: sell modeler and layout seperatly and make sure nobody can use them both on one computer.

cresshead
02-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Kind of anticlimactic, but I can't complain because I am on subscription. If Autodesk ever finally sees fit to add bendy bones and stretchy IK to biped I will name my firstborn Max.

or maxine!:D :thumbsup:

Steamthrower
02-12-2008, 02:46 PM
What finally killed me on Autodesk was support.

I had just switched a guy in the office over to Vista Home Premium. He was using AutoCad LT 2005. Lo and behold, it wasn't happy in the new OS and was causing some major plotting errors.

So I dealt with Autodesk. I got mad quick.

- Phone support costs major bucks
- Non-automated email support is nonexistent
- They refer you to some stupid knowledge base
- Forums ARE TOTAL CRAP!

Thank you Newtek. I love you all. A live person actually answers the phone...o joy! O happy day! :lightwave :I_Love_Ne

cresshead
02-12-2008, 02:53 PM
i'd agree the newtek forums ROCK up against 'the area' or the xsi, cinema, vue forums, though i've not had any real issues at all with 3dsmax in the last 9 years and that's what your reseller should be for ...that's why i use a decent reseller for my max subscription though i have had the likes of BOBO on the max weboard go off n write a maxscript for me in the past which was really neat.

it's weird that support seems to 'feature' less and less in apps thesedays removing the users from the product developers...except here of course with the soon to be re-opend open beta [hint hint!!!]

Steamthrower
02-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Right - show me a guy like Chilton on ANY other app's forums, and I might consider switching. It probably won't happen.

Captain Obvious
02-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Right - show me a guy like Chilton on ANY other app's forums, and I might consider switching. It probably won't happen.
Allen and Arnie and that whole bunch over at the Lux forums are fairly talkative as well.

bobakabob
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
New feature in next version of 3dsmax: modeling!

LOL :D

Red_Oddity
02-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Well, atleast Autodesk shows they can be damn creative when it comes to squeezing every last buck out of your pocket.
Glad those thousands of dollars per update per license are spend so well on things like bug fixing...oh wait...they are not.

IMI
02-12-2008, 03:32 PM

:lol: :lol:

You get two LOLs for that one!

Steamthrower
02-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm used to it. Innate genius. Or some such rot. :D

bobakabob
02-12-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm not excited at all!

Me neither.

AbnRanger
02-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Right - show me a guy like Chilton on ANY other app's forums, and I might consider switching. It probably won't happen.Get ready to switch then, cause you know...BOBO! :D

AbnRanger
02-12-2008, 06:25 PM
from CGTalk:
"An Interactive Preview Renderer is G-O-L-D for the Arch Pre-Viz market...perhaps Max's largest segment...yet AD STILL keeps toying around with half-baked solutions for these customers. Give them a R-E-A-L IPR and be done with it."
Response:
Strangely enough, I think Reveal is our IPR. Unless what you call an IPR is something different than what I think it is. It is our attempt at allowing iterative rendeirng. Is that what you were hoping for? It's also tied into our new viewport system, Review, for displaying what we can in the viewport....
"...Reveal works with mental ray and I believe it is open enough that other renderers can use it too - but don't quote me on that." -Ken Pimmetel (Product Manager, AD)

No longer need to resort to LW for what FPrime offers?
Now you have a built in FPrime-esque render tool mated to Mental Ray....hhhmmm. Then you also have Holomatix Rendition too. The heat is on Newtek at this point, not AD!
FPrime is no longer their Ace in the Hole.

Hopper
02-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Naw, makes no difference in my life seeing that I've boycotted Autodesk. Except where I'm forced to use it at work.
Then I guess there's no more eating yogurt at the circus for you buddy!

Steamthrower
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Then I guess there's no more eating yogurt at the circus for you buddy!

That was before they announced their Happy Plan. :D

Phil
02-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Disappointing. I'd been expecting them to go after XSI Foundation (and ModTool) mindshare using Maya (cross platform is good!). Something to really put the cat amongst the pidgeons, and to take advantage of the lack of XSI on Mac.

archijam
02-13-2008, 03:31 AM
Am I missing something, or have they simply renamed 'VIZ' to 'Design' to _continue_ to have 2 packages, yet setting not only for the Architect market ...

I'm betting Design will also have exactly the same Revit and Xref DWG interface .. sounds like a big snow job in lieu of a real update ...

j.

mattclary
02-13-2008, 12:53 PM
yawn...

http://pressreleases.autodesk.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=383%3C%2Ftd%3E

*Pete*
02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
so...this so called "Shock" was about as much improvement as 9.3 was from 9.2?

brings more respect towards NT, imho ;)

Matt
02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
The only "shock" I'm seeing is this one! ;)

The Autodesk suggested retail price for 3ds Max 2009 or 3ds Max Design 2009 software is US$3,495

Get saving people! ;)

Steamthrower
02-13-2008, 01:50 PM

Get saving people! ;)

Holy Hyundai Burrito.

And how many seats of Lightwave would that buy, people? What? Seriously? FOUR?

kopperdrake
02-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Ye gads that's a scary price!

NewTek, if you ever *dare* go belly up and make me pay *that* much for another 3D package, especially Max, I'll come round there and slap you silly with a freshly caught haddock.

Be warned...

Steamthrower
02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
I'll fart in their general direction, that's what I'll do.

bobakabob
02-13-2008, 03:35 PM
They'd have to pay me US$3,495 to use 3D Max. In fact make it £2,695 (what they're charging over here)!!!

eagleeyed
02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Thats why I switched from Max to Lightwave, LightWave is a few thousand cheaper, and even though their student edition over here costs a bit more than Max (Australia, LW: $329, Max: $275) Max puts watermarks over every image in renders with the student edition plus the program stops working after two years. Lightwave is fully functional, except you cant make any money from it. About to upgrade my student license to full though.

IMI
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM

And then taunt them a second time?

Steamthrower
02-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Amongst my weaponry is such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and a nice red uniform!

Matt
02-13-2008, 06:25 PM

LOL! Monty Python, classic! :)

archijam
02-14-2008, 01:34 AM

Get saving people! ;)

Ah, so the real update, is that VIZ (Design) is no longer cheaper than MAX (Entertainment 2009).

The inclusion of the Fprime-esque previewer sounds nice, as does the texture collection, but FPrime suddenly looks cheap as chips ..

Is there a comparable 'Real World' (as they call it) texture collection for LW? How much dosh are we looking at for it?

j.

cresshead
02-14-2008, 06:25 AM
one way to get a load of textures would be to get the demo install disc of viz2008:)

Matt
02-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Is there a comparable 'Real World' (as they call it) texture collection for LW? How much dosh are we looking at for it?

Not as a 'proper' collection, I'm thinking of giving it a go actually using my 'standard' preset scene.

But it would need some research into translating 'real world' material properties into LW equivalents, not sure if I'm the man for the job on that one!

:)

archijam
02-14-2008, 01:11 PM
one way to get a load of textures would be to get the demo install disc of viz2008:)

That's a great idea cress. Merci!

Just ordered it from some local resellers ..

Is it still the directory of MAT files and directory of image files? Any way to 'convert' them to LW easily?

j.

Speedmonk42
02-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Thats why I switched from Max to Lightwave, LightWave is a few thousand cheaper, and even though their student edition over here costs a bit more than Max (Australia, LW: $329, Max: $275) Max puts watermarks over every image in renders with the student edition plus the program stops working after two years. Lightwave is fully functional, except you cant make any money from it. About to upgrade my student license to full though.

Holy crap. Are you serious? If that is the case it should be free.

Paying for that is ridiculous.

Steamthrower
02-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Worse than Modo's $25 demo.

Glad to hear about that, Ashley. That's literally a demo version that you pay $275 for. Ridiculous. Corporate inanity.

cresshead
02-14-2008, 01:53 PM
unless it's VERY recently changed, 3dsmax for students has NO watermarks at all it's EXACTLY the same as the commercial version except for the student splash screen on booting it up.

maya ple has watermarks on the renderer and in the viewports if you a select viewport display which is shaded, wireframe viewports are without any watermark.

mattclary
02-14-2008, 01:58 PM
What's really sad is there are folks out there who PAY that much for it. WhyTF would anyone DO that???!?

Makes me think of the BME Pain Olympics. You sit there watching it, and you just keep repeating to yourself, "Why?!? Why would you do that!??!?"

Steamthrower
02-14-2008, 02:11 PM
I do agree that the demo should be free, but I can't get riled up over pennies, or a few dollars in this case. It's a scenario that feel like simply complaining for the sake of it.

I don't get riled up over $25 ever; but it's the principle behind it that riles me. I could care less, really, about $25, in the long run. But it's a sorry business practice and I won't support that type of sorry business.

AbnRanger
02-14-2008, 04:56 PM
I think some people are the blowing the 25 dollar modo demo out of proportion. If you're really interested and seriously considering getting the software, 25 bucks is nothing and you get a nice little something once/if you make the final order (at least I did) - A little useful something worth exactly 25 dollars, coincidentally.

But each to his own. I blow 25 dollars or more on various expendable crap each day on a rough average, so it does not deter me from getting a fully functional software with NO limitations for 30 days, including some damn fine video training.

I do agree that the demo should be free, but I can't get riled up over pennies, or a few dollars in this case. It's a scenario that feel like simply complaining for the sake of it.An additional bonus is that, toward the end of the demo they offer a nice discount (limited time to make the decision though) if you decide to go ahead and make the purchase. Another plus is that you can email the staff if you need to add another 30 days to demo.

They did say that eventually they will offer the demo free.

Steamthrower
02-14-2008, 08:13 PM
They did say that eventually they will offer the demo free.

Then why charge for it now? Are M*** sales that bad?

cresshead
02-15-2008, 03:05 AM
What's really sad is there are folks out there who PAY that much for it. WhyTF would anyone DO that???!?

Makes me think of the BME Pain Olympics. You sit there watching it, and you just keep repeating to yourself, "Why?!? Why would you do that!??!?"

well if your on topic and are commenting on 3dsmax and the price of it..my choice was down to wanting 3d software that delivers the features I wanted that i wrote down on my 'shopping list' when i was looking for a quality 3d software app that can deliver in all areas without having to buy a lab coat, slide rule and some heavy dark plastic glasses to be able to use it.

the price point for 3dmax has not moved one single penny since it's launch in 1996...it's not bargin basement cheap but it has a good toolset and can deliver what i need...

i added lightwave in 2002 and now have 2 seats of lightwave btw.

the thing lightwave doesn't deliver on for me is character animation based around motion capture or footstep driven animation and not having a rock solid preset click n drag out character rig....that for me is the DIFFERENCE and why i'm happy to part with my cash...i like software to do the hard/annoying/time consuming bits for me.

also on subscription [only on subscription] you get 2 licences to use 3dsmax a @home and a @work licence, that alone keeps my very happy on subscription as i'm able to have max on 2 pc's a desktop that's stuck at home and my out n about notebook for clients and out of home work.

i have lightwave for some modeling some things and non animated character based projects.

of course this is just my opinion and does not reflect the opinions of my cats who are independent and usually opt for fish.

:D

AbnRanger
02-15-2008, 05:08 AM
Then why charge for it now? Are M*** sales that bad?For bandwidth? My guess is that right after a new release, many just download to do so, and don't really give the demo an go of it...so, the $25 helps fund the bandwidth for both the demo and the tutorials, but it also helps weed out those who really aren't serious about evaluating it for purchase.
I'm not trying to defend their decision, just trying to guess why. It is strange, for sure.

Captain Obvious
02-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Then why charge for it now? Are M*** sales that bad?
Why "M***"? You're allowed to say "modo" here. And sales are quite well, by what I can gather.

Steamthrower
02-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Why "M***"? You're allowed to say "modo" here. And sales are quite well, by what I can gather.

The m*** thing is a joke around here; it's supposedly on the NT censored words list, just like L*******.

Steamthrower
02-15-2008, 06:37 AM
No, I didn't make it up. Multiple people do it. I'm just going with the flow.

archijam
02-15-2008, 07:36 AM
+1

That is, I don't find it a 'joke', I just won't pay it. I'll try the demo when it's free, unless I get SOME other sort of return on my investment (spending time learning a new program is investment enough) ..

Speaking of which, when is my VIZ 2008 disk arriving ;) ?

Me Texturemonster, me is HUNGRY.

j.

cresshead
02-15-2008, 07:43 AM
+1

That is, I don't find it a 'joke', I just won't pay it. I'll try the demo when it's free, unless I get SOME other sort of return on my investment (spending time learning a new program is investment enough) ..

Speaking of which, when is my VIZ 2008 disk arriving ;) ?

Me Texturemonster, me is HUNGRY.

j.

autodesk are pretty quick usually as long as you don;t live on the edge of civilization say in borneo jungle or holidaying on another planet:D

all good things come to those who wait!:thumbsup:

at least it's not 25$....

archijam
02-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Cress - Free + delivered to my door in a shrinkwrapped parcel is the perfect price. :)

Unfortunately here in swiss-land I have to rely on local resellers, so no guarantees on promptness here ..

j.

archijam
02-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Just to get well and truly OT (perhaps permanently ..):

/rant

Textures are a good case in point of where LW (or the community) need to change their stance. One thing you cant fault VIZ or C4D is their concise, robust , built in texture collections, especially for archviz and landscapes.

YES texture resources exist for LW, but they are either extremely scattered or overwhelmed with well meaning but average (or just old) samples. Some layers, some nodal, many incomplete.

NT should really entrust someone (perhaps just a seasoned community member) to collect together what is already out there, zip it, and package it with LW. It would be a huge selling point.

Oh and then buy them at least a cheeseburger or something.

/rant

j.

IMI
02-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Oh and then buy them at least a cheeseburger or something.

I can't begin to imagine the flack Newtek would get for that:
Buy LightWave now and get a coupon for a free cheeseburger good any participating McDonald's!"

Yeah, the maya people would have a field day with that one. :D

IMI
02-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Too late to edit. I see now you meant for NT to buy the texture guy a cheeseburger.

Oh well, I'm still LMAO with the visual of a McDonald's coupon attached to the LightWave box. ;)

hrgiger
02-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't care if the Modo demo was 25 cents, I don't think people should have to pay for it. I mean, we usually try demo software while making a decsion on whether or not to buy the full version. The software company should be wining us and dining us at that point, not charging us for something that most everyone else gives away for free.

Ironically, I'd pay at least $25 right now just to know what's going on with Lightwave and what's being worked on behind the scenes.

Steamthrower
02-15-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't care if the Modo demo was 25 cents, I don't think people should have to pay for it.

Well put. That's like a car dealer charging people to show them the car.

AbnRanger
02-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Too late to edit. I see now you meant for NT to buy the texture guy a cheeseburger.

Oh well, I'm still LMAO with the visual of a McDonald's coupon attached to the LightWave box. ;)More like..."Now, when you go to your participating McDonalds, be sure to pickup your Lightwave Happy Meal, with a demo CD and a Proton action figure inside...for a limited time only" :D

Mike_RB
02-15-2008, 09:34 PM

I'm guessing because they want to demo the software?

tyrot
02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Dear inigo

- paying for demo... ? that reminds me this song, i wrote for Dark Lord Beeper years ago...So he didnt change a bit... i had to make a Dark Mix for the same song...

http://www.iveda.net/LWvsModo_whereismycash.mp3

Where is my Cash?!!!!

Not so long ago Galaxy away
Evil Lord beeper Beeped us away

"Lightwave is dead but Dont be Sad
Cuz we have something but you're gonna PAY..
The name is modo, Try our demo (--At that time Demo was free)
IT will Be new W O
Nexus Nest so model Fast
we are so Free and Get all the CASH!!"

Lord Beeper rises his darkest hands
Cries out Twisted Nexus Verse
Darkwave army burns every posts
"CONVERT or BAN Lightwave FANBOYS"

That s why we were left in shock
while we were waiting as we told
started to learn new Lightwave tricks
Cuz that was the only way to keep seats

Lord Beeper started to get really Mad
Lightwaver were working and earning cash
we Spinned the QUads and Pictrix Plugs
Lord Beeper was wondering "what the hell is wrong with these guys"

"""YOU! MY GREEDY SON I AM YOUR LIGHT-GOD JENISON
you need another lesson in sales it's too late anyhow
Do you really think we ll give you our users on silver plate
Our Jay and his Team working fast they KICK GO-GO AS*"""

"Where is my CASH?!!!

BEST

Mike_RB
02-15-2008, 09:58 PM
right.

Nicolas Jordan
02-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I tried going to the Mudbox forums today and they are gone, they have been moved to "The Area". I fear Mudbox and the Mudbox community are undergoing the final assimilation to Autodesk. :devil: I take this to mean that there may be a Mudbox announcement very soon from Autodesk.

archijam
02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
right.

Was that a Dr. Evil riiight?

http://members.aol.com/karlbadfan/drevil.jpg

AbnRanger
02-16-2008, 06:10 AM
I fear Mudbox and the Mudbox community are undergoing the final assimilation to Autodesk.Resistance is futile. Seriously, though. As a Max user, I hope it indeed is "Assimilated" into the Borg:D

Nicolas Jordan
02-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Looks like Mudbox has been given a new logo by Autodesk also. I think as a logo it makes no sense and the old one was at least cool.

mattclary
02-18-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm guessing because they want to demo the software?

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean M*d*, I meant "Why would anyone pay $4000 for Max?".

cresshead
02-18-2008, 01:27 PM
I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean M*d*, I meant "Why would anyone pay $4000 for Max?".

i won't bite on this comment other than to tell you that people make decisions
based on their needs and in the case of 3d software ease of use and features
present in the software.

you could say the same about LIGHTWAVE, houdini, maya, xsi, cinema4d, zbrush, messiah, modo, sketchup, vue infinate or extreem, form z, poser
, motion builder, lightscape, shade, hexagon, silo if you compare those
COMMERCIAL apps to blender which is FREE..

WHY pay a single PENNY?...nevermind £3200inc vat [3dsmax rrp uk]
which is $7400 usa dollars when converted.

the answer is really straight forward and simple...
because the person buying it feels it's worth it.:beerchug: when he/she looks at the alternative of using blender which is free
or say only lightwave or modo as a single 3d app of choice...

sometimes 1 app can't cover all they need.

hrgiger
02-18-2008, 02:55 PM
yes, people keep buying it, propagating the idea that people will buy it at an outrageous price.

cresshead
02-18-2008, 03:05 PM
market forces...if it were too expensive nobody would buy it
it's not and the investment makes the persons buying it waay more money than the outlay to use it for 3d work.

try getting your money back from buying a car...that's a bad investment unless your a taxi driver or pizza delivery boy!

Captain Obvious
02-20-2008, 05:40 AM
yes, people keep buying it, propagating the idea that people will buy it at an outrageous price.
"Fair price" is the price people are willing to pay. If the price isn't fair, people wouldn't buy it. It really is as simple as that. Don't you love capitalism?

bobakabob
02-20-2008, 06:18 AM
Don't you love capitalism?

The acceptable face of.

IMI
02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
market forces...if it were too expensive nobody would buy it
it's not and the investment makes the persons buying it waay more money than the outlay to use it for 3d work.

try getting your money back from buying a car...that's a bad investment unless your a taxi driver or pizza delivery boy!

I'd agree completely. While I can't justify the expense of max or maya, if I needed either for something I was going to make money from, I wouldn't hesitate.
For the money I "waste" on useless crap throughout any twelve month period I could probably add two or more seats of max every year. :D

Steamthrower
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM
That's so true. And so embarrassing (to me at least). Looking through my bank account history I can see how much money one can save just by eating a lunch that's $2 cheaper each day...and not picking up that clearance 2 GB thumbdrive for $13...and buying a fridge pack of Cokes for the office instead of a Subway combo...

IMI
02-20-2008, 04:14 PM
I spend about 20 bucks a day just on breakfast and lunch, sometimes more, sometimes less. That's a hundred per week. I could get up earlier and make my own breakfast rather than going to McDonald's or wherever, and pack some sandwiches for lunch, and maybe bring that number down to 20 or 30 for the whole week, but.. you know. Convenience and all that. Mostly laziness. ;)

wacom
02-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Did anyone read that cgtalk fluff release on the "future pathway" of Max and Maya?

If you're a shareholder and a soccer mom (football mom to everyone else in the world I guess) then it was awesome...

If you know your vertex from your voxel then you were left scratching your head...and brushing your teeth to get that disgusting CEO "love'm and leave'm" taste out of your mouth.

Audodesk IS the Microlimp of 3D. No doubt about it- no sir.

meathead
02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
you could say the same about LIGHTWAVE, houdini, maya, xsi, cinema4d, zbrush, messiah, modo, sketchup, vue infinate or extreem, form z, poser
, motion builder, lightscape, shade, hexagon, silo if you compare those
COMMERCIAL apps to blender which is FREE..
...which is $7400 usa dollars when converted...

I disagree. There is the question of value, and return on investment.

Why wouldn't people just use Blender? Because they want/need more than just a 3D app. They need support, development, a social network, long term security and sustainability, etc.

Nobody can question the strengths and weaknesses of all the big 3d apps, but is 3d Max $6000+ better than LW?!?! (this being our current example).
No it's not, it is better at many things, but eventually as a user, and especially a business owner with multiple licenses, you will have to ask, what's the customer support worth? With free comes no support. I would argue that LW support is actually better than Autodesk. If I need to buy ten seats, is it worth the now $50,000 price difference?

Eventually, a company needs to adjust pricing with the times, which Autodesk has not. I remember when getting a 3d App, meant spending $10,000+ for 3dmax or Softimage (that would be like $40,000+ now with inflation). With technology driving down the prices of many items, a good 42" LCD can be had for $700, unfortuante for the TV makers, but the market has to adjust or die...which again, Max has not. This stunt seems like another way to grab more cash, for a co. with a failing business model.

As a business man, I see value in paying for a great product for a fair price, hence why I buy all my software. Give LW credit, athough not cheap, they have priced themselves competetivly (if not too low), and offer the best bang for the buck by far.

Now, if you are in a particular field, where knowing a particular package will reap long term benefits (like Maya's stronghold on Hollywood), I understand biting the bullet. But for most users, on day one, choosing a 3d app, I would think Autodesk would be ruled out, for simply not getting what you pay for.