PDA

View Full Version : How do I blend two Bump Nodes?

Cesar Montero
02-11-2008, 07:08 AM
I have a weight map that controls a Bump Node A that should be applied to a to a mesh based on one Weight Map Node. There is a Bump Node B that has to be applied to the rest of the polygons. How do I apply these two Bumps using the weight map?

So far I have been able to apply two different Color Layer Nodes, and using a Weight Map Node as the Opacity for a Mixer Node. However, I'm cluless on how to mix vector values and plug them into the Bump channel of the surface

Sensei
02-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Layers > Bump Layer node put to Bump input in Surface node is equivalent to Spot Info > Smoothed Normal subtract bump and normalized put to Normal input in Surface node. So, to blend them together you would have to multiply Vertex map > Weight map by Layers > Bump Layer output prior subtracting them from Smoothed Normal.. Twice.. And then Math > Vector > Add them together and normalize..

Easy? ;)

You cannot mix two or more vectors like colors, it won't give you anything. Vectors are added together and then normalized.

MooseDog
02-11-2008, 08:06 AM
use this wonderful tool:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html

and search for bump gives you this tutorial:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/mbump.mov

:thumbsup:

Sensei
02-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I found easier way.. :)
First two images are showing sources without mixing, and 3rd the most right image is mixing them together in X channel somewhere at 0.0..

Cesar Montero
02-11-2008, 10:19 AM
wow, lots of solutions!
Thanks a lot guys!

So far I solved the issue by creating two materials and then mixing them. But, certainly I will look into the above solutions to understand and apply better solutions. Thanks a lot os far for the responses!:)