PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft buys Caligari

moc
02-11-2008, 12:38 AM
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/08/Microsoft-buys-3D-company-for-Virtual-Earth_1.html
That's it.
Means Truespace will be stronger.
So our LW maybe need develop faster.....
Good luck to NT!!

SplineGod
02-11-2008, 01:24 AM
Microsoft did wonders with SoftImage when they owned it.... :)

Weetos
02-11-2008, 01:33 AM
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/08/Microsoft-buys-3D-company-for-Virtual-Earth_1.html

Not so sure about this. MS may have just bought Caligari so they have an in-house 3D dev crew to counter attack Google's 3D projects. I doubt you will see a Truespace update any time soon...

Phil
02-11-2008, 01:43 AM
That's it.
So our LW maybe need develop faster.....
Good luck to NT!!

Bah. MS didn't really know what they were doing when they owned Softimage - that product still bears the scars to this day (MainWin as a support layer is mandatory for linux due to all the Windows scripting under the hood; it's one of the few reasons that Avid hasn't released a Mac version - MainWin is not supported on OS X).

Still, obvious jokes :

'You appear to be making a box. Would you like some help?'

'This product has been determined to be non-genuine. Your render was stopped at 01:30.'

'Truespace Ultimate Edition - now with support for more than 2 CPUs and 2 GB of RAM'

Caligari is a really odd choice for acquisition, though. I'm wondering what the business case is.

Captain Obvious
02-11-2008, 03:21 AM
MS didn't really know what they were doing when they owned Softimage
Nonsense. Microsoft knew what they were doing, and you might argue that 3D as a whole has benefitted from it. Let's face it: Before Microsoft bought SoftImage, you'd have to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for a 3D workstation. SoftImage on Windows made the PC an accepted platform for 3D, which was the whole goal of the purchase. Microsoft only bought SoftImage to make people take them seriously as a creative platform, and it worked quite well I'd say. There are few high-end creative applications today that aren't available for Windows.

Before that happened, we were stuck with SGI and stuff like that. I'd rather use Windows, to be honest.

hrgiger
02-11-2008, 03:43 AM
Truespace really has no place to go but up. Hopefully, they'll reconsider that awful interface.

Matt
02-11-2008, 04:31 AM
Another one bites the dust ...

I would run for the hills if the likes of Microsoft bought NewTek, I would be quite upset actually, I like them just the way they are!

Captain Obvious
02-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Oddly enough, it seems that even Apple benefitted from Microsoft porting SoftImage to Windows. I don't think we'd be seeing Maya on Mac OS X if it weren't for Microsoft, and now Mac OS X is one of the more common operating systems (about 25 % of the new Maya licenses sold are for OS X, I think).

Weetos
02-11-2008, 05:48 AM
This may happen if NT comes with some New Technology (pun not intended) in the next version of LightWave, considering the amount of cash the big players (Autodesk, MS, Adobe, whatever) have in their pockets, buying the 3D department of NT to acquire this new technology wouldn't be a problem I guess. Again, the purpose wouldn't be to continue to develop LW, but use the patented technology in some other project, just like MS did concerning Truespace for their Virtual Earth mapping system.

mav3rick
02-11-2008, 06:05 AM
i vote adobe buy newtek

safetyman
02-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Adobe would ruin all NewTek's software if they bought it. Adobe hasn't come up with a significant change to Illustrator for many years and it's really starting to show -- the problem is, they are the only game in town from a print design standpoint and they don't have to make wholesale changes. I can't wait to see how they screw up Flash and Dreamweaver.

bjornkn
02-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Well, if Adobe buys Newtek I would defiinitely run as fast as possible!
I'll never forget/forgive how they bought and killed that excellent program Canoma some years ago :(
BTW, I was a happy tS-camper (and beta tester) for many years, since tS v1 to v6.6. I loved the GUI (much better than LW IMHO), but it was getting more and more convoluted for each version. The main reason why I jumped ship was the unstability of the program, some annoying bugs that were never fixed before adding new features, and the bad radiosity results. I used C4D for a short (and expensive) while before I settled on LW, FPrime and SketchUp. We were worried when SketchUp was bought up by Google, but so far there seems to be no negative effects.
I think MS made a good choice, and I might even be tempted to have a look again at trueSpace. It was a feature-rich program (if only all the features would work as advertised...) with quite a modern GUI with lots of interactive tools that allows a good workflow.

manholoz
02-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Lets just hope that the GUI guys in Truespace don't get to be integrated in the Office department. It would make Blender look intuitive.

I switched to OpenOffice just to get rid of the nasty "dumb wizard paperclip" thingy. Never looked back since then.

MooseDog
02-11-2008, 07:50 AM
this purchase is very similar to, if not exactly like, google's purchase of sketchup. ms will then try to duplicate the enormous community around the google earth - sketchup axis, and fail miserably.

mattclary
02-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Nonsense. Microsoft knew what they were doing, and you might argue that 3D as a whole has benefitted from it. Let's face it: Before Microsoft bought SoftImage, you'd have to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for a 3D workstation. SoftImage on Windows made the PC an accepted platform for 3D, which was the whole goal of the purchase. Microsoft only bought SoftImage to make people take them seriously as a creative platform, and it worked quite well I'd say. There are few high-end creative applications today that aren't available for Windows.

Before that happened, we were stuck with SGI and stuff like that. I'd rather use Windows, to be honest.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. If anything, I would credit 3D Studio and LightWave with the explosion in PC 3D. Easy access by the masses is why 3D is where it is at. 3D Studio was a DOS product, it was natural that it went to Windows, just like AutoCAD. Once 3DS became the mod tool of choice for games and became, arguably, the most pirated piece of software in the known universe, it was all downhill after that.

Crediting MS for driving cheaper prices in 3D is ridiculous...

Don't confuse timing/coincidence with cause: "Let's face it: Before Microsoft bought SoftImage, no one had cable modems!"

mattclary
02-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Lets just hope that the GUI guys in Truespace don't get to be integrated in the Office department. It would make Blender look intuitive.

Ummmmm... have you seen Office 2007 yet?

Iaian7
02-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Haha... yes, I have seen Office 2007, and had the unfortunate experience last year of needing to use it on a project. :D Never again.

Weetos
02-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Ummmmm... have you seen Office 2007 yet?
What a crap, it took me forever to find how to import a simple csv file into Excel 2007, so I gave up and used Excel 2000 instead.

As always, MS wants to make things easier for the average joe, and just end up making things even harder (impossible?) for most user.

What's even funnier is the fact there's should be something like dozens (hundreds) of engineers involved in those softwares, but it still as crappy as if they were done by a couple of interns.

We're in 2008 and Windows filesystems still don't have true symbolic/hard links - can you believe that ?

Captain Obvious
02-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Crediting MS for driving cheaper prices in 3D is ridiculous...
Okay, fair enough, I don't actually know if it worked, but I do know for a fact that that making Windows a viable platform for 3D work was the only reason they bought it in the first place.

Steamthrower
02-11-2008, 10:27 AM
In the immortal words of Queen (partially quoted by Matt earlier): and another one gone, another one gone, another one bites the dust. Yeah!

mattclary
02-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Okay, fair enough, I don't actually know if it worked, but I do know for a fact that that making Windows a viable platform for 3D work was the only reason they bought it in the first place.

OK, I can agree that was there intent! :agree: